Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Post - I bought a Tesla after 10 years of dreaming!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

After seeing the Model S design and talking to my now wife about wanting one 10 years ago. I have finally bought one!

its a 2018 Model S 75D in black with the 21s also in black and flying up to Queensland from Canberra to drive it back. It will be about 12 hours of driving in total and have planned my route to stop at superchargers all the way home.

What do I need to know being a new Tesla owner? What should I setup before I fly out and drive it home?

Thanks in advance.

Pete

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-04 at 8.09.53 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-04 at 8.09.53 pm.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 135
First of all... Congrats!!!
You'll love it.

If you love stats, data and all sorts of information about your driving, Take a look at Teslafi
You may also want to Join the Tesla Owners Club of Australia (TOCA) Some great resources on Facebook and good events that you can join in on.
Check out Abstract Ocean to upgrade your interior lights... They really do make a difference.
You can also look at getting a J1772 to Type 2 cable and a Type 2 to Type 2 (AKA Mennekes) - This will allow you to charge from AC sources like public charging stations (J1772 Old Style, Type 2 New Style)

As for apps,
You can use PlugShare to find charging stations near you.
Remote S (IOS) to control you car with more functionally than the Tesla App

ChargePoint and ChargeFox are the 2 biggest public charging around Australia that I'm aware of. They have apps you can download to activate the chargers. ChargePoint will also send you a RFID card as well

A Better Routeplanner is also good for planning trips.

Last edited:
Hi all,

After seeing the Model S design and talking to my now wife about wanting one 10 years ago. I have finally bought one!

its a 2018 Model S 75D in black with the 21s also in black and flying up to Queensland from Canberra to drive it back. It will be about 12 hours of driving in total and have planned my route to stop at superchargers all the way home.

What do I need to know being a new Tesla owner? What should I setup before I fly out and drive it home?

Thanks in advance.

Pete
Welcome to the club. I was just the same, but only waited a mere 8 years :)

So many things to know to improve your experience, you could read this forum forever and not come to the end of it.

Simple advice for road trips, always stay somewhere with a charger you so can arrive on empty.
Always leave with 100%, the car doesn't mind sitting at max charge occasionally, just don't make a habit of daily 100% charging.
Superchargers are fun and easy. Everything else takes ages and can annoy your family!
Set up an HPWC at home, makes life easy.

Reactions: GSP
Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

Pete
I would contact Tesla and tell them you are buying the car privately and ask them what you and the seller needs to do to transfer the car to your Tesla account so you can use the app to monitor and control your Tesla. This can take a day or so. If you don’t have a Tesla account go to Tesla.com and create one.
Make sure the current owner does a full reset to remove their settings and make sure you can turn off remote access, ie you know the PIN.
If the car is near the Brisbane store, perhaps call them. 07 3073 9155

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP and Shock-On-T
I would contact Tesla and tell them you are buying the car privately and ask them what you and the seller needs to do to transfer the car to your Tesla account so you can use the app to monitor and control your Tesla. This can take a day or so. If you don’t have a Tesla account go to Tesla.com and create one.
Make sure the current owner does a full reset to remove their settings and make sure you can turn off remote access, ie you know the PIN.
If the car is near the Brisbane store, perhaps call them. 07 3073 9155
Tesla wont change the app until you have registration papers in your own name. I’ve just been through it with a mate that purchased my model S. It took a few weeks. As we know each other well enough we just shared my app for that time.

• Informative
Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

Pete
You have excellent colour and wheel selection skills. Now you get to enjoy being harassed all the time with strangers insisting on leaving a nose print on your windows, and asking hideous questions like “so how often do you have to charge between here and home”.
My tip with 21’s, buy yourself an air compressor because they go through air like a holden goes through petrol, and because you no longer need to stop for petrol, the deflating tyres lack attention and at 25,000km you’ll be staring down the barrel of a new set.

The 2018 75D with 21’s is sublime to drive, but the autopilot has several unpredicable bugs compared to the mobileye system, so use the system carefully.

If anything isnt right, maybe the sound sytem is playing up, or maps arent loading as they should. Do the double scroll wheel reset, and if that doesnt fix it, call your local tesla tech. They seem to know of problems (but always act surprised) and have over the air patches. For some reason not every car catches the same bug, so they arent proactive in distribution.

Ok this might be a new owner thread now.

Am picking up a 2018 75D at the end of this this week also. Have been a couple of years thinking about it and a few solid months of research ,trying to get my head around everything.

The last time I remember being this excited about a car was probably the first car I bought , a white/black interior HK Monaro. The Tesla is also white/black so there might be a bit of nostalgia at play, It does remind me of the Monaro even though the cars are a world (and 40 years of technology) apart.

Good luck with yours Peter Garret, enjoy the power and the passion ;)

Reactions: jbcarioca
Ok this might be a new owner thread now.

Am picking up a 2018 75D at the end of this this week also. Have been a couple of years thinking about it and a few solid months of research ,trying to get my head around everything.

The last time I remember being this excited about a car was probably the first car I bought , a white/black interior HK Monaro. The Tesla is also white/black so there might be a bit of nostalgia at play, It does remind me of the Monaro even though the cars are a world (and 40 years of technology) apart.

Good luck with yours Peter Garret, enjoy the power and the passion ;)

Actually 50 years apart - now I feel old

flying up to Queensland from Canberra to drive it back. It will be about 12 hours

I assume give the time frame that you mean Brisbane, in which case the trip will be easy. However, if you are coming from outside the supercharger network in Queensland, you will need a CHAdeMO adaptor and/or a type 2 > type 2 lead to use the Queensland Electric Highway.

• Helpful
Ok so I pull into stop 3, the supercharger at port Macquarie and find out that it’s actually a proposed site and doesn’t yet exist.... I look down at the remaining range and it says 80km... the next one is 200kms away . Needless to say I was a little worried... did I stop and cry? No I did not did I think about a hundred different scenarios including having to tell my dad who has told me for years not to buy an electric car that my new car needed to be towed yes, that exact thought went through my mind! I did a good search for chargers but nothing came up except the non-existent super charger I was sitting at... Ok use PlugShare to find charging stations near you! (thank you Icey!) Found an app that showed all types of chargers! It found me A slow charger only 10ks away. I got there and plugged it in and it didn’t work... I went into the hotel it was out the front of that looked super fancy and about to close for the night and asked them about it. They did not know but said they could call the guy who did. They found out how to turn it on and it started bloody charging! Then it said it would take 3.5 hours to charge... still not stopped I contemplated sleeping in the car (camp mode) or wandering round till 2am. Then I asked do you have any rooms? They said we have just had a cancellation and can do a room half price! Now I sit on the balcony of a very fancy hotel waiting till morning when I will be able to continue my journey back to the promised land of the ACT!