Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Post: Used S60 for impatient Model 3 buyer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
Go easy on me and my first post here.

I'm waiting on the model 3 and stupidly test drove a Model S. Now it's all I can think about. I've run numbers every which way hoping it would be so clear how I could easily buy one. I find myself having a hard time jumping from a $300 lease to a $700+ lease. I figured if I could find a cheap used S I could get by for the next year + while waiting for the 3 to come out. I'm finding CPO pretty expensive too. Yes, I know they are a great car and a luxury and I should not expect to be anywhere near $300 a month. I'm stubborn.

So I found a used S60 near me with almost 60k on it for a price I can afford. What should I look for when I view this vehicle and what should I know about warranty? What would be a common item to replace that's not covered by warranty?

It's a 2013 s60 that has:
Body color roof. :(
Tech Package
Air Suspension
(I do have a steep entry into my work I stand a good chance of getting rearended if I approach slowly. I know I've heard it can be costly to maintain.
Supercharger
19" Wheels

Reactions: ModelX
Hmmm. What's your tolerance level for expensive repairs? That car is out of the bumper to bumper warranty, and I assume we aren't talking about one with the extended warranty. It will have the battery warranty and the drive unit warranty through 125k miles assuming its got a clean title.

Potentially "common" out of warranty items are the door handles. They run about $800- $1000 each. Your biggest $$ worry might be the touchscreen bubble/leak issue some folks have been encountering. That's a $4k repair right now, as they replace the whole unit, not just the screen.

Air suspensions can be pricey to repair, but so far we haven't seen a lot of those going bad.

BUT, lots of folks have no issues, even on the earlier cars. So it might be fine. Just depends on your personal risk tolerance.

(I am low risk person, so I am buying a CPO)

I love my CPO 2013 S60...I couldn't wait either. Stood in line for the Model 3 deposit, sitting 2 hours staring at a black Model S. One month later I found one with RFS that fit my budget. It's an amazing car, and even though it's still a stretch for us, we could never go back. Good luck!

Reactions: ThisIsTrue
I agree with @Az_Rael. I also went CPO. But if you are comfortable with the risks it could be a great experience. You'll also jump up in the Model 3 queue, so you may only need the S for 18 months or so.

One word of warning: If you're buying from a dealer, become very familiar with the features of the car and personally confirm the options. Most dealers have no idea what they have.

Reactions: JPUConn
If you are going outside of CPO consider looking for a first owner, private sale and negotiate them buying the extended warranty ahead of your purchase - then you have basically the same cover as you'd get with the CPO - but Tesla will not have done their inspection and repair work. as others have said, I did not have the risk tolerance to go outside of the CPO route.

Maybe there's a TMC member near you who'd be willing to go with you to check it out?

I sold my 60 in March to a member here, I made a list of "full disclosure" items. I pointed out every rock chip, flaw, quirk, etc. It was all just small cosmetic things, but I didn't want them to feel like I was hiding any issues. You didn't say if it was a private seller or a dealer, but I'd ask for any previous issues, as well as all check the charge. A 2013 60 should still be getting high 190's (rated miles) at full charge.

Potentially "common" out of warranty items are the door handles. They run about $800- $1000 each. Your biggest $$ worry might be the touchscreen bubble/leak issue some folks have been encountering. That's a $4k repair right now, as they replace the whole unit, not just the screen.

Great info. In my head I was planning that this private owner car would have to be 8-10k cheaper than a CPO car.

One month later I found one with RFS that fit my budget.

What is RFS?

Most dealers have no idea what they have.

Like most dealers. I have been building my knowledge here for a few months. :)

buying the extended warranty ahead of your purchase

This car is a private sale and they did not advertise extended warranty. With 60,000 miles on it, I assume it's too late to have them purchase it.

A 2013 60 should still be getting high 190's (rated miles) at full charge.

I assume I'd just have them leave it on the charger until full. I should report full charge in some way? Or is there something in the menu to just check max miles?

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Great info. In my head I was planning that this private owner car would have to be 8-10k cheaper than a CPO car.

What is RFS?

I assume I'd just have them leave it on the charger until full. I should report full charge in some way? Or is there something in the menu to just check max miles?
RFS= Rear Facing Seats
If the current charge is at one of the 10% increment marks you can just do the math.

2013 had a lot of changes, do you know the VIN (don't need last 3, just approc +/- 1000) or at least production date? Does it have extended warranty? Is it CPO or private party? Did you do your research on prices (ebay, this forum, tesla cpo)?

I had a late 2013 S60 for almost two years and loved it! Warning, once you go Tesla you can never go back. I was waiting for Model X, made the "mistake" and test drove a Model S in 2013 and ordered one the next day (actually wanted to put a deposit down on the car I drove but they sold it from under while I was on a test drive). I just ordered my 3rd Model S (Model X turned out to be a disappointment to me but that's a different story), this time as a second car rather than a replacement. If you usually do less than 120 miles per day, don't worry about the fact that it's a 60. Long distance trips are quite doable, just have to slow down sometimes between longer segments between superchargers. Don't sweat Auto Pilot, it's not all that it's hyped up to be (I didn't even pay for it on the latest order). Make sure you can charge at home every night from a 240V/40A minimum. Enjoy! :)

Reactions: Aieukl378
I'm cheap, not crazy. ;)

I know it's all speculation but I hope a nicely appointed Model 3 will keep me in a $600 / month price range.

EV-CPO.com has S60s (with extended warranty) starting at $46,000. I like your option list. Technology is the only option you can't live without, IMO.

As a 60 owner who has crossed the country twice, you will love driving the best car ever made (except for those slightly newer versions).

I'm a model 3 reservation holder that now has a S being built. I just couldn't wait given the fact I want my family in the safest car available (and its an EV!). Our leaf has served us well and after all incentives and discounts, was a steal. It was my first car that I bought and somehow I tripled that cost (6x after incentives!) with our S. We're keeping our 3 order and might trade in our amazing leaf when the 3 is actually ready. I'm sure after the reveal part 3 in spring I'll be somewhat kicking myself for being so spend happy but the S is a deal regardless of how you cut it. CPO definitely is the way to go if you want to save money. Its too bad you didn't bid on Ingineer's ebay auction (which I think ended at 41k). That would've been very tempting for me if I hadn't already plunked down on a new custom car.

Keep in mind the extended warranty is not the same as the CPO warranty. The extended warranty has a per item deductible of $200 so even with it, if you get a bunch of failures you could be out some significant money.

I'd ask for a copy of all the service invoices they've had. Tesla emails them out so it shouldn't be a problem for them to send them to you. Then you can see how many issues the car has already had. I'd be looking for the door handles to have been replaced recently. As all four of mine have broken.