Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First problem: rear door glass stuck open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup. First time I got a Prius (regulator) and then an F150 (12V battery) and now the P+

To be honest, I don't notice that dramatic of a difference to my P.

And given the tire situation (mine came with Michelins to begin with) I am actually happy that I can rotate them.

Kaivball-I had a P85 loaner this week from Fremont which also had the small round speaker grille type thing in the face of the center console as per your photo. FWIW, the service writer had not noticed it before, and when I asked, he had no idea what it was for. Doubt it has to do with the audio system. Anyone have an idea??

- - - Updated - - -

I had my car @ Fremont for a few minor items this week (picked up 7/20/13). I have not had a problem with my rear windows. However, one of the service bulletins being applied to many Model S relates to the rear window regulators. They apparently have to deinstall the interior door trim to attach some kind of clips--about a 2 hour job. Not sure when forward production has/will catch up, but you can see my VIN/production date below.

Kaivball-I had a P85 loaner this week from Fremont which also had the small round speaker grille type thing in the face of the center console as per your photo. FWIW, the service writer had not noticed it before, and when I asked, he had no idea what it was for. Doubt it has to do with the audio system. Anyone have an idea??

To my eye, this looks like an opening for an internal air temperature aspirator. Other cars I've owned have had openings like this where air is drawn in and over a temperature sensor with a small fan to detect the interior temperature. One of my cars had it on the driver's side B-pillar and another behind a badge on the dash above the glove box. I think this was missing on earlier versions and could explain the poor HVAC temperature control and weird temperature values on the mobile app. If the sensor doesn't actively draw air in and across it, it may be susceptible to "interference" from heat or cold soaked materials near it.

finally got my window fixed. but had to have a flat/blow out on my same side as the rear window. flat bed it in. talked to the service guy, and said i needed the regulater fixed. no problem. so end result is i got the windows fixed, retrofit all the regulators per the bulletin. stopped the creaking in the car. floor mats, air filter.
but tesla never called me to say that the part was in. i have been waiting for 2 months for them to call. i called 1 month ago and got the run around again that they dont have the part. but when i got the flat, they fixed it. so next time i get problems, im going to just take it in.d appointment window was also a waiting list. no eta.

My rear passenger window gave out today. It falls right into the door and is completely loose. Flicking the button up or down does nothing.

I'm hoping I can get the car to the service center tomorrow and get a loaner. I'm actually on "vacation" about 100 miles from home and it's raining out. Great!

First issue for an early adopter today as well. Rear driver's side window just dropped. All windows were closed. I took a right turn, and the window literally just dropped.

I can hear the motor going up and down. I think the regulator is still good but did a quick search on the internet and found out that there is a Rear Window Regulator Reinforcement clip (SB-13-11-005) that will need to be replaced at your next annual inspection. Apparently, it should be a 10 min fix for each of the doors.

I'm schedule at the Rockville Tesla Service Center in Maryland.

Just got a call today that my rear cup holder was in and scheduled for Saturday October 12th. On my way home, the dreaded rear window failure happened on the rear driver window. Luckily, I was able to drive into the Costa Mesa service center by 6:01pm where Lisa B was nice enough to authorize an Enterprise Car rental loaner while they fix the window. Had it survived two more weeks, it would have been done as part of the service while it was in for the cup holder.

Fog lights will be installed also.

Last edited:
Old thread but my rear driver side window just fell inside the door (02/2014 s85 build), all windows were in up position prior. Bad news is my ranger is booked up so dont know if I can get this fixed soon and with busy schedule will have to drive around like this and will be parked outside during the day. Good news is that if this was the window regulator that broke he said he has 2 on hand so will not be waiting on parts.

Old thread but my rear driver side window just fell inside the door (02/2014 s85 build), all windows were in up position prior. Bad news is my ranger is booked up so dont know if I can get this fixed soon and with busy schedule will have to drive around like this and will be parked outside during the day. Good news is that if this was the window regulator that broke he said he has 2 on hand so will not be waiting on parts.

Just had another window regulator fail, this time it was the front passenger window, this will be the 3rd failure with the only one remaining being the rear passenger and considering the other 3 have failed I expect that one to also fail before the end of this year. I mostly just use the front driver door so this is an age failure not a use failure. Pretty dissapointed with this actually.

Attachments

• 20180520_185219.jpg
    20180520_185219.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 57
Just had another window regulator fail, this time it was the front passenger window, this will be the 3rd failure with the only one remaining being the rear passenger and considering the other 3 have failed I expect that one to also fail before the end of this year. I mostly just use the front driver door so this is an age failure not a use failure. Pretty dissapointed with this actually.

My Model S had recall work done on both rear window regulators to "reinforce" or "strengthen" the mechanism in some fashion. I never did have a problem with them. My driver's door window mechanism broke, but it was because the power door handle had somehow broken inside the door and knocked the window off its track when it interfered.

My Model S had recall work done on both rear window regulators to "reinforce" or "strengthen" the mechanism in some fashion. I never did have a problem with them. My driver's door window mechanism broke, but it was because the power door handle had somehow broken inside the door and knocked the window off its track when it interfered.

interesting, I never had any recall work done on them that was ever noted in any of my service visits. Looks like regulators are on backorder out of stock across the country so no ETA for replacement, cost of the regulator is $210+labor

interesting, I never had any recall work done on them that was ever noted in any of my service visits.

I dug through my old service invoices and found this. I should note that mine was a February 2013 build Model S, so later versions may have already had these reinforcements done. This was not done because of any problems I had... it just showed up on my invoice when I picked up the car which had been in for other reasons.

Capture.JPG

I dug through my old service invoices and found this. I should note that mine was a February 2013 build Model S, so later versions may have already had these reinforcements done. This was not done because of any problems I had... it just showed up on my invoice when I picked up the car which had been in for other reasons.

View attachment 302977

I did some more digging as well and it seems that when my car was built, Feb 2014 that this modification was already built in.

Tesla did an amazing job btw, my regulator failed Sun night, mobile service was able to get the window up and locked in place Monday but all regulators were out of stock on back order with no eta for new ones, then today Tues found a replacement in Seattle WA, flew it in to Colorado Springs CO this afternoon and replaced it for me while at work.

Reactions: mknox
This just happened to me. Rear windows are locked out from the driver's window control panel (twin 6 year-olds in the back). I had returned from taking one of the twins to the zoo and noticed the rear window down. I tried to bring it back up, just heard the motor whining. I was able to lift it up by hand and secure it to the chrome trim with packing tape. Short notice to the Brentwood, TN service center, but were able to get me into an 85D loaner. I was given the option to get into an Infiniti that was washed, or an 85D that had literally just returned from loan.

They had a regulator on the shelf ready to be installed.

Oh, and my replacement LCD touchscreen was in. Two birds, one stone.

Thanks JJ!