Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First production or wait for awd?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
do u think 4K is worth not having to put on snow chains (+incremental range, regen, handling, 0-60)? GF is making the case for RWD....

My wife stomped her feet about me opining about RWD BMW M3/4 and insisted I get x-drive on my last two BMW leases.

For the Tesla Model 3 she's the one making the case to take first production.

Guess she likes an extra $3750 enough to know that there might be the odd weather spell we won't take the new car out in.

One thing to consider, if true and according to some current Tesla owners, RWD with these vehicles is not the same as RWD with ICE vehicles. There's a more even weight distribution and the traction is apparently better.

At least this is according to what I've read from some current owners.

I live in N.Y. and it's not worth it to me to wait for the AWD versions and the cost of it as the result of at least a partial loss of the tax credit and the cost of RWD.

If the weather is that bad, I'll take out my FWD car.

One thing to consider, if true and according to some current Tesla owners, RWD with these vehicles is not the same as RWD with ICE vehicles. There's a more even weight distribution and the traction is apparently better.

At least this is according to what I've read from some current owners.

I live in N.Y. and it's not worth it to me to wait for the AWD versions and the cost of it as the result of at least a partial loss of the tax credit and the cost of RWD.

If the weather is that bad, I'll take out my FWD car.
for some of us Cali folks who want AWD for snowsports, it's not really about safety for icy/snow driving. It's more about checkpoints that block you from going up the mountain unless you have snow chains/AWD. A lot of times the road is perfectly fine, but the safety people are being cautious. Kudos to that, but it would be nice to be able to skip these....

...even though I will lose $3750 in Fed credit and I plan to keep this car for a long time.

...Jun-Aug18 Dual Delivery, I'm afraid that I might not get the full tax credit if I wait that long.
SPECULATION
hopefully Tesla is being pessimistic on their estimator to cover their own bums and that AWD is gonna be available in ~april to may. AWD being available for employees at end of March will allow Tesla to uphold their "AWD in Spring 2018" statement in FAQ page.

If RWD with snows for the S/X is great (per Norway sales), just imagine how amazing it will be bombing around in a blizzard with dual motor AWD and snow tires!?

I'm waiting.

I'm a Subaru guy so AWD performance in all scenarios (dry or wet) is appreciated. My WRXs with snows have been cold weather beasts and track day charmers with summers.

I let the AWD thoughts go right after the delay was announced...
Maybe someday down the road but I'm not waiting another year, nope.

Now I'm in the debate for first production vs standard battery...I'm getting premium interior package either way, plus the ridiculous $1k non-black color charge and the difference there is looking like that 'added wait' is only about 3mo.

I should be OK with the Feds credit either way.

East coast, line waiter, non-owner.

Reactions: Ken7