Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Production Owners: Would you add AWD for 6K?

Would you pay 6K for AWD?

• Yes, would do so.

Votes: 39 45.3%
  • No, fine with LR RWD.

Votes: 47 54.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious to see if any first production owners would add AWD to their 3 if Tesla offered it.

If Tesla offered it, I'd pay for it to upgrade my car.

Installing AWD in a RWD car might be closer to 60k than 6k. It’s not plug and play, there’s a lot of rework Tesla would have to do, plus the service center hours and the cost of developing the process and training their techs to do it too, plus the margin Tesla would have to add to make sure they’re not hemorrhaging money offering it. In other words, it won’t happen and you’d be better off trading in your RWD and buying a new AWD even if for some reason Tesla did offer it.

Check if the tax credits do nto have conditions on them. In Ontario (Canada) we cannot sell the car for 2 years after purchase or else we have to repay the rebate.
It’s only for 1 year that you can’t sell the car.

But yeah I really want more performance in my LR RWD. If not, I want to at least get the performance upgrade package from Tesla but they probably can’t even fit the brakes in.

Depends on what you value more, performance or efficiency.

it improves 0 to 60 by an insignificant amount but a RWD with actual performance upgrades (i.e. tires, suspension etc) will still run a lap faster than an AWD unmodified. AWD just doesnt really have a role atm. If you want performance you are better off spending money on upgrading the RWDs mechanics.

it improves 0 to 60 by an insignificant amount but a RWD with actual performance upgrades (i.e. tires, suspension etc) will still run a lap faster than an AWD unmodified. AWD just doesnt really have a role atm. If you want performance you are better off spending money on upgrading the RWDs mechanics.

10% faster to 60 isn't insignificant. I'd also like the AWD for snow. Do I need it? Nope. But I'd like it.

Reactions: Tomski
10% faster to 60 isn't insignificant. I'd also like the AWD for snow. Do I need it? Nope. But I'd like it.

0 to 60 is just a very small part of "performance". Other things are way more important. AWD isn't really what you need to get for snow, you need winter tyres. Cheaper too. It is just too expensive to pay 6000 USD and be rewarded with almost 10% reduced range. Like... why would you pay for that?

Reactions: more863-also
0 to 60 is just a very small part of "performance". Other things are way more important. AWD isn't really what you need to get for snow, you need winter tyres. Cheaper too. It is just too expensive to pay 6000 USD and be rewarded with almost 10% reduced range. Like... why would you pay for that?

Trust me, I've forgotten more about driving in snow than most people will ever know about it. Snow tires are more important than AWD, but having both is better than having just one.

Importance of different characteristics and value vary between people. I'd have bought AWD if it were an option when I got the car, but it wasn't. Is $6k cheap? Of course not. But in the grand scheme of things I'm gonna die some day and I might as well enjoy the bits beforehand if I can afford to.

I don’t need awd and I’m quite happy with lifetime connectivity and improved efficiency, but what I really want is a quicker 0-60 time. If they could drop the 0-60 by 6/10ths via uncorking, I’d be thrilled.

For 6K I’d consider it, but I don’t think it’s a realistic dream.

Reactions: GuyDude
Trust me, I've forgotten more about driving in snow than most people will ever know about it. Snow tires are more important than AWD, but having both is better than having just one.

Importance of different characteristics and value vary between people. I'd have bought AWD if it were an option when I got the car, but it wasn't. Is $6k cheap? Of course not. But in the grand scheme of things I'm gonna die some day and I might as well enjoy the bits beforehand if I can afford to.

I've forgotten more than most know about snow driving too, I live in the actual mountains outside of Denver. And I think snow tires are so much more important than AWD that it's not super useful for me. I regularly took a Cruze to Vail in storms with Blizzaks and it was fine, let alone the slightly shorter daily commute.

Having an extra 30ish miles of range for less money is a no brainer imo. When you're stuck in ski traffic burning heat you need battery, not AWD.