Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First public Tesla charging station in Woodland, CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a little bump to remind people about this. Sounds like it's actually tuning out to be quite an event. Tesla will be giving some test rides (drives?) up there as well. I'm not going to make the trek, so hopefully others will take lots of photos.

Seven (count 'em SEVEN !) Tesla Roadsters, four Toyota Rav4 EVs, one Corbin Sparrow, one Ford Ranger, one Prius converted to 100mpg+ plug-in. (Two of the Roadsters were Tesla Motors owned VPs, two Roadster Owners showed up a little late so they don't show in the two pix below (a white one and a Signature Green)).
Great Opening Party !

edit: I am sure someone else has more and better high-resolution JPGs to upload.

Attachments

• Woodland20090425_A.jpg
    Woodland20090425_A.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 92
  • Woodland20090425_B.jpg
    Woodland20090425_B.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Woodland20090425_C.jpg
    Woodland20090425_C.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 68
  • Woodland20090425_D.jpg
    Woodland20090425_D.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 69
Ok ... I think I figured it out ... and hopefully did it right:

Woodland Ribbon Cutting

edit: I just realized the photos are not exactly in chronological order ... obviously the ribbon cutting did not happen in "reverse" :)

And some more info:
2x AVCON type (with a converter plus Tesla MC240 limited to 30amp - I think)
1x Tesla (208V at 70A)
1x Small Paddle Inductive (Toyota Rav4)

All FOUR in use simultaneously, plus a couple of 110V being used.

Last edited:
More fun personalized plates spotted in the background: "PLGNPLA" ("Plug-N-Play"), "GOT JUIC" ("Got EV Juice?")

---

By the way, I want to nominate MDR as the "unsung Tesla superfan". He seems to show up at every event I can think of, but doesn't say a whole lot on the forums...

Last edited:
hi my name is Rich Tsai and it was good to meet those that attended the ribbon cutting in Woodland (I was the one wearing a streetfire.net t-shirt and taking lots of pics).

here are some of my images:
World's First Tesla Public Electric Vehicle Charging Station

EuroSunday is a monthly gathering of car enthusiasts all across the US. very informal and a lot of friendly folks. please check to see when we're in a city near you: EuroSunday.net A monthly gathering of Euro car & motorcycle enthusiasts.

That turned into quite an event!

So, this is just a standard Tesla HPC, exactly the same as the ones offered on the Tesla Website? It is not a special one made for mounting outside?

I am really wanting to get something going on the east coast. I am especially interested in setting up something at the beach.

So, this is just a standard Tesla HPC, exactly the same as the ones offered on the Tesla Website? It is not a special one made for mounting outside?
Right. Anyone can buy them. You don't need to be a Roadster owner.
I am really wanting to get something going on the east coast. I am especially interested in setting up something at the beach.
I wonder how well the connector would hold up to salt water spray.

That turned into quite an event!

BB I am with you on the east coast so anything I can do to help let me know. Which beach ?

Kevin,

I'm open to anything from Ocean City to Cape Henlopen. Doesn't even need to be right at the beach, back inland a few miles is fine too. That's my summer dream, to be able to drive my Roadster to the beach on one charge, recharge somewhere there, enjoy a few days of fun and then top off one more time before heading back home.

So, far I'm considering RV parks, or just stringing a 110VAC extension cord from a hotel somewhere. A public charger would be a much better solution.

I would love to find other owners to join in on this. With some number of us together we might be able to convince someplace to host a charger. I would even be willing to help chip in to pay for the thing.

If you want to discuss it further, we should probably start a new thread.

I'd be in on that plan to help support use of an official Tesla charger, or an accessibl 14-50 outlet, at a hotel/motel at Rehoboth Beach, or any nice area along the DE/MD coast. The cost for any of those places to install an outlet for us would pay for itself very quickly.

Graham, we missed you! I was asking everybody without a nametag if they were you. :)

What a great event this was. So great to see all these cars in one place. And yes, at one point we had SIX cars charging at the same time. Three Teslas, my Rav4EV, a Sparrow and the PHEV Prius conversion. So obviously we got the wiring and breakers properly sized. ;)

(And then, just this evning, I find that this may NOT be the first public Tesla charging station. There is one just 1.5 miles from my house, and I'll find out tomorrow when it was installed. I was in talks with the folks doing it, and then heard nothing. This evening I get a message from another driver that it is in place! Anyway... there are now TWO Tesla stations just 10 miles apart).

I'll get my pictures up eventually, but for now ChargeIT! has a great image up of the whole EVnut family!
3474796228_fa4150312a.jpg