Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First road trip with AP2 - wow!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have AP1 and it's good but not incredible or anything.

For those who are bashing AP2, or warning that people are putting others in danger etc...can you clarify what you mean by that? AP1 gets a little funny or a little confused at times too. Wondering if AP2 is way worse etc or what. Was considering an AP2 90D

It isn't. This is the minority with negative experiences with AP2, probably the same people who do not keep their hands on the wheel and expect to be able to doze off while the car drives. Check out all the videos on youtube. Just search 17.17.4 and you can see different youtubers demonstrating the AP2 and how it was handling certain curves/local roads better than AP1 cars etc. I drove 400+ miles on my delivery day with 17.11.10 (or something along those lines) when high-speed autosteer was first introduced and it performed as well as i had hoped.

Early AP2 releases were scary bad. Didn't matter that your hands were on the wheel as TACC would slam on the brakes at highway speeds for no good reason. Not something you want with someone on your tail. Steering was not good either, especially in curves.

That said, it's gotten much better the last few releases. I no longer feel it's dangerous, however, it still warrants vigilance. Next release Elon says is "silky smooth". Remains to be seen.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
Thanks oktane. I was worried that you will not show up in this thread.

Please explain everyone how AP2 is trying to keeell you. You have been quiet on that subject for more than 2 days now.

Sorry was on vacation on a remote island for the holiday and had no internet access. I'll try to go somewhere with more connectivity next time so I can keep up.

I have owned 90D AP1 and now 90D AP2. Current version is 17.17.4. AP2 is improved but is NOT at parity with AP1.
1. Autosteer is more stable with AP1. AP2 seems to get you out of autostart more often than AP1. I have yet to do a successful lane changing with AP2. It knocks me out of autosteer when I try.
2. There is still the dancing lines and graphic of cars in AP2. And AP2 cannot distinguish car from trucks and bikes yet, at least there are no graphic icons from AP2.
3. AP2 does detect tighter curves and tighter roads better and doesn't snap you out of adaptive cruise control or autosteer when it detects it. AP1 really cant when I drove in my street at home. The only thing AP2 does better at this point, which is not much.
4. AP1 does auto dimming of high beam better than AP2. When I had AP1, it can detect headlights from a good distance and dim the lights. With AP2, I had more cars flash their lights at me since it hasn't auto dimmed quick enough.
5. For some reason, emergency braking is better at AP1 or at least detected a slowed or stopped at a further distance. I've had alerts with AP1 even if there was plenty of distance for me to react. I have yet to get anything from AP2. This is harder to qualify however.
6. Of course, still no autoperpendicular parking or autowipers.

Now that supercharging is free for previous owners it was foolish of me to upgrade so soon. I should have kept AP1 a little longer until AP2 was on par with AP1.

If you think your AP2 was great, imagine how good AP1 is.
AP2 will get there in a couple of months, and then get even better.

And then think of the fools stuck behind their manual steering wheels burning gas, with their pithy excuse of "I like the sound of the engine" or some other inane comment like that.

Panel gaps. A whole 0.5mm wider panel gaps. Apparently, that's what's keeping some of the gas-burning folks from getting into a Tesla. Or so I've been told.

Questions from a noob

1. Is AP1 also getting upgraded?
2. Is there any sort of auto parking in AP1 or AP2? (other than summon)

Thanks

Yes, but not much. AP1 is pretty mature right now. Tesla will likely continue to make small improvements in algorithms here and there, but AP1 pretty much does everything it's going to do.

They promised us it'd choose the correct side of a splitting lane based on Navigation in 8.1 - the real 8.1 should be arriving any time now from Elon's last tweet on the topic, with the new kernel (alleged to be in 17.18.50) and improved Nav and cabin overheat.

I'm still hoping it might learn to recognize red lights and stops signs and warn inattentive drivers, but Tesla might decide that is FSDC functionality.

AP1 cars have both parallel and perpendicular autoparking using ultrasonics; I think both were recently added to AP2?

1. Autosteer is more stable with AP1. AP2 seems to get you out of autostart more often than AP1. I have yet to do a successful lane changing with AP2. It knocks me out of autosteer when I try.

@ichospitalist - I do not disagree with you that we are not quite there yet as to parity with AP1 but, as a couple of others have suggested, the lane changing has actually worked quite well. I would consider talking with service if your car is giving you significant problems with lane changing in AP2. Admittedly, I am not all that aggressive when asking the car to change lanes, but I have found that it does a pretty good job of doing so. What concerns me the most about the issue that you are having is that it is kicking you out of auto steer when you attempt to change lanes. On the rare occasion where lane changing did not work for me, it has never kicked me out of auto steer. With the software version of AP2 that you are running, lane changing should not be giving you that kind of trouble.

Personally, I am very pleased with the last couple of updates and I think that AP2 has come a long way of late. I know that some will disagree, but I believe that the last big update was a giant step forward and I think is a sign of good things to come. Yes, I am the eternal optimist and have always looked at the AP2 glass as being "half full". But I am hoping that now that they have increased the speed limits and added some (though certainly not all) of the "missing" features, the next couple of updates can add in those remaining features and really focus on improving the overall AP2 experience. I can't wait for the next AP2 update. I hear it is "smooth as silk". ;)

Drive safe.

I just switched from a 2012 P85 classic Signature to a 100D, and did my first road trip on the weekend. I have occasionally driven an AP1 autopilot car (service loaner) but only once used autopilot for more than a few minutes. So this is the first time I've driven AP2, and I've never experienced anything but the very latest AP2 firmware.

I did the first road trip in my 100D this weekend, and Autopilot did 99% of the driving. Some observations:
  • It was definitely more relaxing driving, and I arrived at my destination feeling less tired.
  • The behavior on sharper corners was slightly unnerving at first, but then I realized what is going on. It's looking at the road right in front of the car. You can see it hunting back and forth between the lines because of that. I believe the main thing they need to do to get the driving smoother is to simply look further ahead - and not really that much further either. (This is how you get smooth on a race track - look waaaay ahead.)
  • Once I got used to that steering behavior it really didn't bother me. I'd like to see it improved, but unless you're really pushing the limits of grip it's not dangerous.
  • I was surprised how well it worked at night and in the rain. Really worked just the same as sunny daytime. The only difference is it doesn't recognize cars quite as far away at night.
  • Don't depend on it to recognize stopped cars in your lane; it doesn't until it's much too close.
  • The 1-2-3 distance thing seems to not actually change the distance unless you disengage and reengage AP/cruise. (This works just fine in AP1 cars, from my admittedly limited experience.)
  • Lane change only works if it knows there's another lane; it shows you the extra lane on the display so that how you know it'll work. Good implementation.
  • On two occasions it veered to one side for no apparent reason. Good solid lines on both sides and no obstacles. It may very well have straightened again, but I had my hand on the wheel so I instinctively pulled it back. That was the only thing it did that I had any concerns about.
  • On a couple of occasions it got a bit off of the lane center during a corner. To its credit it didn't try to jerk it back into the middle of the lane; it brought it back gradually.
  • The "hands on wheel" safety feature doesn't really work. If I hold the wheel the way I normally would on a long drive, it doesn't notice I'm holding the wheel unless we happen across a corner.
  • I can hold my hands in a more awkward position that puts a little twist on the wheel, and that works, but it gets uncomfortable after a while. Instead I simply wiggled the wheel a little every so often. Helps to listen to music lol.
  • Geez if you're pushing the turn blinker to change lanes it should realize you're in control and not start flashing the "hold the wheel" warning thing in mid lane change - that was irritating. It somehow managed to happen twice. It only came on 4 or 5 other times through the whole trip. And every single time it happened I was holding the wheel. Every. Single. Time.
  • When a car is recognized at it's furthest range, the little image tends to hop between the lane and to the right of the lane. This was very consistent. Maybe my calibration is very slightly off?
  • Amusing that transport trucks, minivans, SUVs, tractor trailers, and motorcycles all look like another Model S on the console. I seem to remember that AP1 showed a different symbol for trucks?
  • I think the logic on the auto speed limit control needs to be refined a bit; it's inconsistent. It's like it sometimes I get to set the speed, and other times it decides what the speed will be.
  • One major bug: When a Canadian car enters the USA, it takes the speed sign information in miles, then translates it from kilometers to miles. Yeah it converts it even though it shouldn't. This affects the speed limit display and the "over your limit" chime. It does NOT affect autosteer limits though - that worked correctly! Which is good because otherwise I wouldn't have been able to use autosteer for most of my trip. I ended up turning off the chime feature because it was chiming a lot!
Despite the nits, I have to say overall it did the job. It did 99% of the driving and I rarely had to intercede - and mostly when I did it was because of another driver or the need to make a turn. I was comfortable with Autopilot running on two lane highways and on freeways.

• The behavior on sharper corners was slightly unnerving at first, but then I realized what is going on. It's looking at the road right in front of the car. You can see it hunting back and forth between the lines because of that. I believe the main thing they need to do to get the driving smoother is to simply look further ahead - and not really that much further either. (This is how you get smooth on a race track - look waaaay ahead.)
Yes. Like you I think a lot of the "smoothness" can be improved by looking further down the road with the camera or perhaps using mapping data. At times I think the camera is simply focused too close to the nose of the car. Also, the "look ahead" doesn't seem to increase with higher speeds, as it should. A good human driver will naturally look farther down the road as speed increases.

Reactions: 1 person