Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Tesla service experience (mixed results)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I said 3 days just because that was the number of days during which our beautiful new MS was unavailable to us for driving. But I guess more accurately it would have been 2.5 days since we missed half a day on Wed. and almost the whole day on Fri. It felt like longer! But you're right, in exact hours we didn't have the car it would have been 49.5 hours (excluding drive time to and from the service center).

Sorry, wasn't meaning to be pedantic - just seemed like 2 days (48 hrs ~= 49.5) pretty much covered total time you technically didn't have the car. But can see how the particular timing of the 2 day block also meant you couldn't do much before and after the actual servicing time, so it seemed like 3 days.

That's the other thing I was curious about. I've seen mention of other owners getting updates via text message. They never gave me that option. In fact, I've never received a text from anyone at Tesla. Do you have to opt-in or something?

I can't speak to that. My service center asked for a cell phone and asked if it was OK to send text messages. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, I think 100% of their communication was through text messages! Maybe they called once. But pretty much all text messages.

Each service center might be a bit different about their comm methods, but next time, might volunteer that they are free to send you text messages - maybe that will prompt them to do it, who knows. OTOH, maybe their communications are just bad, and the method for those comms doesn't matter and they wouldn't text nor call you. But worth a try to tell them to text you.

Also it might be advantageous to get to know the particular service advisor(s) there. Learn their names and such. With more of a "personal connection" between you and them, it could help. Like on your way out say, "Thanks Pat (or whatever his/her name is). So you'll be texting me, what, around 2pm to give me an update on the status of my car?" If that doesn't work, bring in some donuts or cookies next time;)

I feel that I shouldn't knock "service" as much as I do, so I am apologizing. That said, I haven't had my car in for "service" in over two years, and still don't plan to get it "serviced" until I am unable to check the windshield wiper fluid myself. Sorry. I did it again. I am just from the old school where we did our own maintenance, and there isn't any.

Reactions: CameronB
My car went in for service Thursday 12/11 with a list of things including wind shield, passenger seat lumbar support, hatch alignment, and about 6 more minor things. They loaned me a P90D so I don't care when or if I even get my car back.

In fact, whenever they do call I plan on saying I'm in the middle of a 2 week vacation and to follow up with me some time next week.

They sent me 2 text messages the evening I dropped it off saying they would keep it overnight which I was well aware of when I left the center hours earlier. That's the last I've heard from them and don't intend on contacting them. They said they would only contact me via text which is fine. Good luck with that.

It's a terminology thing. Technically what Tesla has is a drive unit which has a motor/generator connected directly to the drive shaft via a reduction gear (the motor turns at faster RPM than the tires, which is part of the reason our cars generate so much torque. It is not a variable multiple gear transmission (meaning you can select various gears like a manual or automatic transmission) nor a continuously variable transmision (like the Toyota Prius/Camry, Lexus Hybrids) which slides to provide varying gear ratios. Rather the Tesla system is a fixed, single gear ratio reduction unit which reduces the RPM by a given ratio (I'm too lazy to look it up). The drive unit has oil in it which in theory is for the life of the car (like a sealed transmission in many modern cars), but starting about 2 years ago, Tesla changed the service schedule to change the drive unit oil at the 1 year service point.

Many have speculated this change was made to clear out any material in the oil that comes off the drive unit gears/components in the first year of use to avoid damaging (and thus having to replace) the drive unit in the future. Interestingly enough, this was not a change made to the service schedules of older Teslas (which never got the drive unit oil change). Besides the risks of damage/leakage due to opening and closing up the unit to service it, it seems reasonable to me to perform the service as most initial material in oil tends to build up when the unit is first put in service... just my 2 cents' worth.

• Informative
Reactions: BlueRocket
My dealings with service have been pretty bad so far I basically had to make 3 request to get the delivery issues fixed before I even had the service manager contact me. (even then somehow he didn't get the correct list of issues). After that I was told it would take about a month before I they could get replacement parts.

Reactions: xanatos
We took our factory-new MS 75D to a Tesla service center this week to have 2 problems fixed: a carpet stain and some trim that was lifting off the body. Both problems had been present and were noted by the delivery team when we took delivery last month. (There was also a paint chip in the rear liftgate but we were told a body shop will have to fix that.)

The service center fixed both problems to my satisfaction, however it took them 3 days to do so. We dropped the car off at 2:30p on Wednesday and it wasn't ready until 4p on Friday.

Communication during those 3 days was poor or non-existent. Nobody I spoke with was able to provide me with an estimate as to when the car would actually be finished. It wasn't until I told them Friday morning that I had to have the car by 4p so I could get it to our detailer to be Opti-Coated that they actually committed to a time and actually performed the repairs.

My question to the group is this: has your service experience been similar? Has it taken several days to fix minor problems? The impression I got was that since we weren't waiting at the service center for the repair, we got pushed to the back of the line in terms of priority. Is it better to wait at the service center for these types of fixes?

My expectation is that the repair will be done within 24 hours of dropping off the vehicle. Why have us drop off the vehicle if it's just going to sit there for 3 days? But is this not how the service centers usually do things? Just trying to get an idea of whether this is typical or not. Thanks!

That's pretty typical, actually come to think of it that's actually pretty fast turnaround.
Even at the Fremont service center it's like that, although you would think being at HQ means they provide better service (they don't). In general the people there are nice, but it seems like they are always so overwhelmed that they are just barely staying afloat.

An no you probably shouldn't wait around, that would be a big waste of time, they just don't operate that fast.

Also you should be happy you actually got a Tesla loaner, in all my service visits there, they have only ever had ICE cars from Hertz/Enterprise as a loaner. The only time I got a Tesla loaner was when my car was being repaired for the same issue for the 3rd time, and I threw a fit and complained.

Many have speculated this change was made to clear out any material in the oil that comes off the drive unit gears/components in the first year of use to avoid damaging (and thus having to replace) the drive unit in the future. Interestingly enough, this was not a change made to the service schedules of older Teslas (which never got the drive unit oil change). Besides the risks of damage/leakage due to opening and closing up the unit to service it, it seems reasonable to me to perform the service as most initial material in oil tends to build up when the unit is first put in service... just my 2 cents' worth.

Exactly.

BMW found this out the hard way starting 10 - 15 years ago. Their differentials would fail at 10K -100K miles no telling when. They decided their gears were not perfectly made after all and reputable dealers changed the oil on the first service and every 50K after that. But the change is up to the dealer. Officially the differential oil is "lifetime". Google the failures if you want. I have first hand experience with this one.

The service center manager followed up by phone today. This was an unexpected but pleasant surprise.

He apologized for the lack of communication during the repairs and for how long they had to keep our vehicle for what were minor fixes. He explained that they've been restructuring the way they work through the queue recently, trying to improve efficiency and prepare for the Model 3 onslaught. This makes sense. It was somewhat of a relief hearing from him because he was able to answer the questions I had about whether our experience was typical or not and what our expectations should be in the future.

On top of the apology, he offered to bring a loaner vehicle to us (no guarantee it's a Tesla... sad trombone) when we drop off our MS at the body shop to get the paint chip in the rear lift gate repaired. That takes away a tiny bit of the sting of having to leave our beautiful new MS in a body shop for 5 days to get something fixed that was broken before we even took delivery of the car.

Just wanted to follow up on my original post since Tesla is trying to do the right thing here.

Reactions: Olds442
The service center manager followed up by phone today. This was an unexpected but pleasant surprise.

He apologized for the lack of communication during the repairs and for how long they had to keep our vehicle for what were minor fixes. He explained that they've been restructuring the way they work through the queue recently, trying to improve efficiency and prepare for the Model 3 onslaught. This makes sense. It was somewhat of a relief hearing from him because he was able to answer the questions I had about whether our experience was typical or not and what our expectations should be in the future.

On top of the apology, he offered to bring a loaner vehicle to us (no guarantee it's a Tesla... sad trombone) when we drop off our MS at the body shop to get the paint chip in the rear lift gate repaired. That takes away a tiny bit of the sting of having to leave our beautiful new MS in a body shop for 5 days to get something fixed that was broken before we even took delivery of the car.

Just wanted to follow up on my original post since Tesla is trying to do the right thing here.

They must be taking a really long time restructuring their queue, considering I heard almost the exact same lines from the service people at Fremont...when I talked to them mid-2017. Maybe the restructuring never stops!

Thank you so much. I have had a picture of "what's under the frunk" on my Tesla board for years. All of this equipment, as in ALL, needs no "service". It's good to know it's there, I guess, but they don't look at it. Now, if your car is in for REPAIR, because your power steering isn't working or the AC is weak, they pull the frunk liner and access those parts. Several years ago, I believe, it was Elon himself that said, "There is no service." As people couldn't believe it, they added "service".

Sorry, my internet connection is flaky today, so I can't look it up.

I maintain that there is still no service. Tesla accommodates fearful owners and does a service. They will fill up your windshield wiper fluid reservoir, check your tire pressure, wiper blades, and probably wash the car. Fearful owners are so used to having to maintain a gas car that they cannot understand that there is no service on an electric.

Well also, while the car is still under warranty, it us good to bring it in for service to get things fixed before it goes out if guarantee. I usually bring it in, and on several occasion, they do find things that need adjustment or replaced under warranty.

We recorded a video sharing more details on the service visit. Overall, we're thrilled with our 75D. It's truly the best car in the world (at least in our opinion). It sounds like these communication snafus happen more often than they should, but Tesla is a small company and is trying very hard to do what's right. These are ultimately first world problems.

• Informative
Reactions: chispas
We recorded a video sharing more details on the service visit. Overall, we're thrilled with our 75D. It's truly the best car in the world (at least in our opinion). It sounds like these communication snafus happen more often than they should, but Tesla is a small company and is trying very hard to do what's right. These are ultimately first world problems.

I watched your video and I can echo your issues with communication 100%