Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First time Autopark use tonight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Autopilot still seems like a gimmick to me in its current state. I’ve slowly trolled through side streets and the parking lots of shopping centers on several occasions now for the express purpose of getting the autopilot to trigger and pop up.

Most of the time it doesn’t ever trigger, and even when it does trigger, it seems to me to be WAY less cumbersome and tedious for me to just park the car rather than slowly creep around a parking spot until I see the P, then carefully maneuver the car to where it needs to be to engage AP, then actually perform the right sequence of steps to engage AP (which are not terribly intuitive TBH), then wait for AP to actually park the car, which honestly seems to park at a rate that my 101 year old blind grandmother could probably outpace.

TL;DR - not useful right now IMO. Just park it yourself.

Got my car on Monday. I've tried Autopark three times, all successful. Twice parallel parking and once perpendicular parking. Funny thing about perpendicular parking was it sort of ignored the lines. There was one car that basically had its wheels on the line and the car on the other side was pretty far from the parking line. The Model 3 basically put itself smack-dab equidistant between the two vehicles versus parking equidistant within the parking space lines. I was pretty impressed.

From all the threads I've read, most users stated how slowly it operates, but I found the speed of the Autopark acceptable. It's not the fastest, but not the slowest either. It parks faster than "Miss Daisy" or someone who just got their driver's license who hasn't had a lot of practice. That'll keep most people who are yielding to you to finish parking from being frustrated and honking at you to hurry up in the areas I drive the most.

I forgot to try Summon once I got back to the car after I had it perpendicular Autopark. Will have to try it out one of these days.

It backs up into a parking spot between two cars. I did it in a Target parking lot.
Between cars? You mean not everyone parks in the hinterlands? In the end space. Against the curb?:)
All my local parking lots have the "perfect dingless spot" located. Otherwise, I'll drive around looking. It's kind of an amusement at this point, my wife doesn't mind, and I need the exercise.
Anyway, I've used perpendicular autopark once when I had to run into a store and it was the only space left, and a tight one at that. I returned to a giant lifted pickup on one side, completely blocking my view to pull out. Summon to the rescue on that one.

Reactions: Dana1