Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First time EV owner---> just found out moving to Midwest

What are your thoughts?

• I wish my wife worked

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Dentistry? why would you want to put your hands into someone's mouth?

• you go girl, chase that dream

Votes: 32 69.6%
  • Why are you bringing a Tesla to dental school in Missouri?

• do you cook too?

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • I have this problem with my tooth. take a look.

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its a good question. Students travel nationally to gain training as a clinician. You release your dream career, apply to where statistically you have chance, and throw your application their way. I'm also on 2 other waitlists for different dental schools. I was very impressed with this particular school. Small class size of 42 is mostly unheard of. The usual is 80 -120 students. The new glass state of the art facilities are drenched in sunlight. The best school is the one that gives you an offer. You can not attend a school that did not give you an offer. It's very completive, a wholistic review of your adult life compared against thousands of other applicants. The training I will receive at this school will honestly be the best for my development as a competent clinician. The academic schedule is suited towards my learning style, exc.

Ha ha BBQ? Pretty sure the food scene in Portland can't be beat, but I love food.

Is this like standard college stuff? Okay, seriously, best advice I can give you? Don't screw around. Focus on your education and get the best grades you can. It's real easy to skip classes. Don't do it. It's real easy to stay up too late when you have a class the next morning. Don't do it.

I didn't put enough effort into my college education. I graduated, but my grades were marginal. While I'm doing well now, those marginal grades have haunted me my entire life long, with every job change and every job application that asks for college details. It's a wound that never fully heals.

Is this like standard college stuff?
No. She has matriculated to Dentistry School, which is in many ways an advanced trade. She is there to learn a difficult craft.

Dentistry has changed a lot in the last 10 years and (in my opinion anyway) has become a highly technological discipline that attracts multi-disciplinary talent. Of course most dentists fill caries but 3D imaging and quite advanced tooth reconstruction techniques can be quite rewarding and challenging. I only know what I saw and was told when I visited a dentist this year and was showed around when I displayed interest. The guy's office was stuffed with advanced imaging and 3D printing. The guy had a 3D CT scanner that he would use in conjuction with imaged prosthetics for virtual reconstruction. It was fascinating, and I had no doubt of his story that the maxillo-facial guys in town sent patients his way when more advanced imaging than the hospital owned was needed. His assistant showed off a pretty set of veneers he printed for her on a lark. My impression is that people like the dentist I meant have talents that are also shared by skilled craftsmen, industrial designers, and advanced CAD technicians. I lack all those skills and abilities so I was quite impressed. I would not recommend anyone damage a tooth just to have an excuse to visit a dentist, but close. You get a bird's eye view of tremendous advances in materials science and 3D computer graphics and printing.

He laughed when I asked him if he chose dentistry just for the toys. Clearly he was in a job he enjoyed and was well suited. He mentioned lifestyle and money as reasons to become a dentist, but I gather that most dentists take on huge debt to set up an office (and I bet for him it was a mountain of debt,) and so really only become wealthy after a good decade of a busy and successful practice. They really have to enjoy and be good at their work.

Last edited:
For a new EV driver, I would get familiar with how your dashboard battery gauge in RATED miles would compare to your GPS distance.
Thank you! I need to know this.
I prefer using battery % as opposed to miles (rated or ideal). The car's trip planner is fairly accurate but you should always have some % cusion for unexpected weather (elevation gain and loss is factored into the trip planner). Also don't forget to turn on range mode as this will give you a bit more range.

I can't emphasize enough how much easier it is to think in battery % vs miles. I came from an all electric Nissan Leaf and their range predictor was all over the map. Tesla is far more accurate but if you keep your eye on rated miles and look at mile markers you'll drive yourself crazy because there will be a discrepancy.

Also don't forget to use the trip graph on the consumption page, it's a great visualization of your energy use to your next supercharger, and it's usually very accurate (unless you drive super fast).

Lastly read the entire manual for your car, you will learn so much about your car and have fewer questions along the way.

The charging station at your school is listed on PlugShare. The notation indicates four GE Wattstation J1772 charging stations.

I suspect that this town will not receive heavy usage of these charging stations. They are 30A chargers, so you can expect to receive about 18-19 miles of range per hour. Just attach the J1772 adapter to handle and insert into your charge port. The first time or two might be a little tricky, so just take your time. I always remove the plug with both hands, and then I separate the adapter. You should note that the car locks the adapter into the charge port after 30 seconds or so, so if you are not quick on the draw, you will have to unlock the charge port again before attempting removal.

I would suspect that you would need to use these stations at most once per week while you are in class.

You might have to register with GEWattstation in order to use these devices. You might need an RFID card or some other sort of ID in order for them to track your usage and/or charge you for the electricity.

WattStation™ Connect

While the destination charger that is south of town is faster, you will be wasting time driving to and from. Charging while in class kills two birds with the proverbial one stone!

The charging station at your school is listed on PlugShare. The notation indicates four GE Wattstation J1772 charging stations.

I suspect that this town will not receive heavy usage of these charging stations. They are 30A chargers, so you can expect to receive about 18-19 miles of range per hour. Just attach the J1772 adapter to handle and insert into your charge port. The first time or two might be a little tricky, so just take your time. I always remove the plug with both hands, and then I separate the adapter. You should note that the car locks the adapter into the charge port after 30 seconds or so, so if you are not quick on the draw, you will have to unlock the charge port again before attempting removal.

I would suspect that you would need to use these stations at most once per week while you are in class.

You might have to register with GEWattstation in order to use these devices. You might need an RFID card or some other sort of ID in order for them to track your usage and/or charge you for the electricity.

WattStation™ Connect

While the destination charger that is south of town is faster, you will be wasting time driving to and from. Charging while in class kills two birds with the proverbial one stone!
A white ring around the charge port indicates that you can insert/remove the charging cable. When using the J1772 adapter I press the button on the J1772 charging cable once, this sends a signal to your tesla that you want to remove the cable and the ring around the charge port will turn to white (from green if charging and from blue if not charging). Don't hold the button down just let it drop back down to stay connected to your adapter and remove everything together. If you pull out the J1772 separately from your adapter it is much harder (and very frustrating) to try and pull the adapter out by itself. Don't worry you can always reconnect the J1772 back to your adapter if you remove it separately. But as stated above the timing can be tricky because the light doesn't stay white for that long.

But like I recommended earlier if you read the entire manual you will learn many of these things from the manual. Yes I am one of the nerds that read the manual before my car was delivered.

Its a good question. Students travel nationally to gain training as a clinician. You release your dream career, apply to where statistically you have chance, and throw your application their way. I'm also on 2 other waitlists for different dental schools. I was very impressed with this particular school. Small class size of 42 is mostly unheard of. The usual is 80 -120 students. The new glass state of the art facilities are drenched in sunlight. The best school is the one that gives you an offer. You can not attend a school that did not give you an offer. It's very completive, a wholistic review of your adult life compared against thousands of other applicants. The training I will receive at this school will honestly be the best for my development as a competent clinician. The academic schedule is suited towards my learning style, exc.

Tons of maturity here. You'll be just fine. Not that you were looking to strangers on an internet forum for validation. Or maybe you are! What do I know? :-D

I only know what I googled, so the same as you. The charging speed is in part dictated by the local power connection but you can *probably* expect at least 4 kW, have a fair chance of 6 kW, or be lucky and find close to 10 kW. Figure 3 - 4 miles or range per hour of charging from each kW rating.

If you have the setup and right to install your own EVSE where you will live that should be seriously considered. If you are renting, you might prefer a non Tesla J1772 EVSE like the Clipper Creek or ChargePoint that plugs into a 14-50 outlet. That way you can take the EVSE with you if you move and you only have to set up another 14-50 outlet at the new place.
The Tesla plugs directly into a 14-50 outlet with the factory supplied adapter, no need for any additional paraphernalia.

The Tesla plugs directly into a 14-50 outlet with the factory supplied adapter, no need for any additional paraphernalia.
Fair point; I was thinking of the HPWC.

My own bias was buried in my first post to not use the mobile EVSE at home. I think it prudent to always have the mobile EVSE in the car when out and about, and besides the annoyance of plugging/unplugging the EVSE for every car use from home, I dislike the wear and tear on the plug, increased possibility of an inadequate plug connection, and sub-optimal fixture of the EVSE on the wall. Call me a pansy, I err on the safe side with high power devices.