Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First time tire change mileage.

Mileage when changed tires.

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have about 21,000 miles on my OEM continentals and will be getting new tires before the snow flies.

It depends on your driving conditions and driving style. Teslas are heavy and have a ton of torque. If you accelerate aggressively off the line you're going to wear your tires pretty quickly. The problem is it's so easy to do because they're so smooth and quiet that you don't even realize you're doing it until you notice all the cars a quarter mile behind you in your mirror!

Last edited:
Reactions: MY-user and KJD
OP, are you down to the wear bars? I am replacing mine next week at ~21,500 miles. It will be a tad early as my fronts are at 4/32nds and rears at 5/32nds. I could probably make it to 25K miles before the rainy season but am curious to change tires at the anniversary mark and compare year-over-year efficiency between the OEM 19" ProContact RX and DWS06+.

The mileage-based guidance from Tesla has changed several times, probably due to data/feedback on how hard people are driving their cars.
The tread-based guidance (2/32" difference between front and back) has been consistent - and is likely the best measure to follow.

Do tires last longer if you put the car in chill mode vs “full” even if driving “conservatively” in either mode? I have left our MYLR in chill mode as I am afraid my wife will crash the car otherwise. After riding with her, my church going mom said “wow, she really drives like a bat out of hell”

• Funny
Reactions: MY-user
Do tires last longer if you put the car in chill mode vs “full” even if driving “conservatively” in either mode? I have left our MYLR in chill mode as I am afraid my wife will crash the car otherwise. After riding with her, my church going mom said “wow, she really drives like a bat out of hell”
The rear motor does all of the work under light to moderate acceleration. The rear tires wear faster than the front tires for this reason and more of the Tesla Model Y's weight is distributed to the rear. If you already drive with a light touch on the accelerator you probably would not gain much tire life by driving in Chill mode. Keep the tires inflated to the recommended 42 PSI for the most even (center and inner/outer edge) tire wear. An accurate tire pressure gauge (accurate to +/- 1 PSI) is a good investment and will last for many years. A tire tread depth gauge that reads in 32nds of an inch as well as mm costs under $10. If you find there is uneven tire wear (between the inner and outer edges of the tire) even though the tire is properly inflated have an alignment performed (especially when you purchase new tires.)

Last edited:
OP, are you down to the wear bars? I am replacing mine next week at ~21,500 miles. It will be a tad early as my fronts are at 4/32nds and rears at 5/32nds. I could probably make it to 25K miles before the rainy season but am curious to change tires at the anniversary mark and compare year-over-year efficiency between the OEM 19" ProContact RX and DWS06+.
One of the tires in the rear is 3/32.

Something else to consider when reading these reports - the Model Y has only been out for just over 2 years. So the people who got higher milage on their tires have likely driven a higher proportion of highway miles which cause less wear on tires than city driving with lots of turns, stopping and starting.

I just double checked my tires and they’re averaging 4/32 of tread and I just rolled over 22k miles. My car is almost exactly 2 years old and I’ve driven primarily in the city.

Reactions: MY-user