Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First-Timer Question about Updates/Wifi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello! First time poster. I just got my S a few weeks ago so 8.1 will be my first update. I just checked the wifi connection in the garage, and even though I've connected it whenever I get into my car it goes straight to LTE. I can force it on Wifi, but it takes a while to initialize and doesn't keep the connection longer than a few seconds. Will this keep me from getting the OTA update?

The only way to get updates faster is to connect to Tesla service center wifi. (I heard) When I get my MS i will go to my local SC for big updates. I have heard that you get the update almost instantly when you go there. Cant say so myself I have never tried.

From what I've heard, time was just parking in the parking lot of a Tesla store or service center would get you an update. Unfortunately these days that only works at service centers and only if they are working on your vehicle.

As for the original question about getting connected to and staying connected to wifi, that seems to remain a mystery. I went so far as to run wifi to my garage and placed the modem within cm of the car's wifi antenna (located in the right side rear view mirror) so a very strong signal was available. Despite that, sometimes the car would hook to the signal and sometimes not.

I asked at the local service center. They said that's normal and that the car will switch to wifi only when it needs to. They even loaned me a car to take home so I could see it would work the same with it (it did).

Sheenn... this was happening with my S when I got it in 2016. I found a post which told me how to configure my wifi for better connections. If you can find that post, follow it and it will do the trick. Obviously, the closer the router the better, but this is also a G only connection so use an old router as a spare use it and put it close if you have it. Here's my settings.. I forgot which one did the trick for me:
DHCP enabled.
Wireless mixed B,G,N
Channel 10
Channel width auto 20/40 mhz
ssid enabled
wmm enabled
encyrption WPA2
PSK
AES
passphrase limited to 10 characters/numbers
make sure mac filters are disabled

Hope this helps.

I asked at the local service center. They said that's normal and that the car will switch to wifi only when it needs to. They even loaned me a car to take home so I could see it would work the same with it (it did).

Gee, it seems odd they would do it that way. If it were smarter, it would use the fastest available connection, which is most (but not all) cases, that would be a home WiFi connection likely much faster than cellular.

When you get the message, the update has already downloaded. The message on the screen asks you to schedule installation time. It should default to the middle of the night when there's less chance of you "checking on it" and thereby screwing it up. Stay away from your car when it's updating.