Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First track day impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're way braver than me to run the car to 6% remaining range - LOL at being the last to leave!

side benefit: you get peaceful moments like this :)
IMG_3397.jpg

I used Motul RBF600. Brakes were great, no fade (at least that i noticed). Rotors got blue and there was a fair amount of dust but they held up great. That being said, pacific really only has 3 hard braking zones, 2 of which have straights before them so maybe on tighter tracks they would start to have problems.
You can see how far my tires rolled, I think I'd prob split the difference pressure-wise if I tracked these tires again. I ended up at 39 hot, I'd maybe go for 41 hot....
Yes it had what felt like full power (or at least 90%) right up until I pulled in. I was squirting by folks on my last lap with less than 10% SoC. I had a young instructor who was really enjoying himself and I told him I was going to pull in when I saw it had 10% and he was like 'nah you'll be fine you aren't using it up that fast' He also said that the lack of engine noise made it the most relaxing session he'd done with a student. Pretty funny coming from a guy trying to hold himself steady with just that side door handle while encouraging me to go deeper into corners and use all the track on the exit etc. :cool:

Excellent - thanks for the input.

Yep, those tires rolled a lot - do you notice any ill effects on the tires afterward - like extra noise or vibration or anything?

I actually earned my SCCA Novice license at that track, but it was years ago when it was still known as "Seattle International Raceway". Fun track, and a nice setting!

Reactions: stickman
Excellent - thanks for the input.

Yep, those tires rolled a lot - do you notice any ill effects on the tires afterward - like extra noise or vibration or anything?

I actually earned my SCCA Novice license at that track, but it was years ago when it was still known as "Seattle International Raceway". Fun track, and a nice setting!

no ill effects, thank goodness. I'm hoping most of that happened on my out laps before they were up to temp.

I used Motul RBF600. Brakes were great, no fade (at least that i noticed). Rotors got blue and there was a fair amount of dust but they held up great. That being said, pacific really only has 3 hard braking zones, 2 of which have straights before them so maybe on tighter tracks they would start to have problems.
You can see how far my tires rolled, I think I'd prob split the difference pressure-wise if I tracked these tires again. I ended up at 39 hot, I'd maybe go for 41 hot.
View attachment 385296
Yes it had what felt like full power (or at least 90%) right up until I pulled in. I was squirting by folks on my last lap with less than 10% SoC. I had a young instructor who was really enjoying himself and I told him I was going to pull in when I saw it had 10% and he was like 'nah you'll be fine you aren't using it up that fast' He also said that the lack of engine noise made it the most relaxing session he'd done with a student. Pretty funny coming from a guy trying to hold himself steady with just that side door handle while encouraging me to go deeper into corners and use all the track on the exit etc. :cool:

HPDE instructors are dare devils (aka, nuts). I used to run with BMW/Porsche and a few other clubs, but ending up running most of my track days with the wonderful folks from - ProFormance Racing School - Pacific Raceways

I am game and was holding on to the handy side door handle, but more importantly I wasn’t pulling the emergency door latch* What a fun day it was working with you and watching your progression. Remember when you sign up for your solo license to ask specially for me. Update us on your mods.

The Ridge Motorsports Park does have the same chargers to the right when you pull in the gate but I haven’t tried them yet.

Wenken, hope to see you back out there, too!

I made an unlisted video on YouTube with onboard video from the day.

I am game and was holding on to the handy side door handle, but more importantly I wasn’t pulling the emergency door latch* What a fun day it was working with you and watching your progression. Remember when you sign up for your solo license to ask specially for me. Update us on your mods.

The Ridge Motorsports Park does have the same chargers to the right when you pull in the gate but I haven’t tried them yet.

I’ll definitely be back. Maybe next time I can ask you to be my instructor for that 45min coaching.

haha welcome to the forum Kevin. I'll definitely be going back out again with you when I go to get my solo license. I had a great time working with you.

6. If you run the car to 6% and there is only a standard (wall type) charger and you live 40 miles from the track you’re going to be sitting there long after everyone else leaves :)
23.6 miles to Issaquah supercharger. Roundtrip over lunch is likely worth it.

I do that for...
- PIR -> Vancouver, WA (~10 mi each way)
- The Ridge (Shelton) -> Centralia (~45 mi each way)
- ORP -> The Dalles (~50 mi each way)

The PIR one is by far the most valuable one (shortest distance from track).

Reactions: beastmode13

I do that for...

For a full day it probably would be. My next day will be an afternoon so i’ll probably just show up early and start at 95 or whatever and then hope for the best :)

I do that for...

Issaquah is super overwhelmed most of the weekends. I will wait for the Auburn sc be live, 5min from the track and hopefully it maybe a v3.

Yup, definitely tons of body roll. I'm actually testing out the Unplugged Performance sway bars right now and they are much beefier than stock, so they reduce a good bit of body roll. They should be available in the next few weeks i believe and are like a fraction the price of coilovers, so i'd suggest trying them first and see how that does!

Obviously you may still need/want coilovers, but i dont believe anyone has tracked a Model 3 with stock shocks/springs and upgraded sway bars.
Would love to hear more about the sway bars. Are you planning on taking the car to the track soon? I will still get coilovers for traction reasons but would love to hear what kind of improvement you got from the sway bars in the body roll department

Would love to hear more about the sway bars. Are you planning on taking the car to the track soon? I will still get coilovers for traction reasons but would love to hear what kind of improvement you got from the sway bars in the body roll department

Yep i'll be at the track for Tesla Corsa on March 31st, been busy with work so i haven't had a chance to track the car since the last Tesla Corsa at the end of January :(

From a "sporty" driving perspective, the car does feel more planted with the sway bars. I've had the coilovers installed for about 2 months now, so i have a good feeling for those, and the sway bar definitely added something new in terms of the car feeling tighter and more responsive. It doesn't really change how the car takes bumps (which makes sense) but gives better steering feel and less body roll when punching it on an on-ramp ;)

Reactions: stickman