Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker Karma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After driving the Roadster for 2 1/2 years the Fisker felt quite roomy inside when we drove it.
Good to know. The Roadster is a two seater sports car and the Fisker is supposed to be a luxury hydrid sports sedan though so I would have expected the Fisker Karma to be a little more roomy. I hope they are able to find a market and succeed as well. For that amount of money, I'd rather have a fully loaded Model S sport but I guess since I'm getting a Model S, it's tough to be totally objective.

but I guess since I'm getting a Model S, it's tough to be totally objective.

Yep. And you don't need the range extender. For a lot of people, the Karma is a good fit. If 5 days a week they have a relatively short commute and they can run off battery power all week, but then every weekend when they need to drive a good distance, then the Karma would be a very nice car.

Yep. And you don't need the range extender. For a lot of people, the Karma is a good fit. If 5 days a week they have a relatively short commute and they can run off battery power all week, but then every weekend when they need to drive a good distance, then the Karma would be a very nice car.

Yeah, looking forward to the Model S sport as well but the other half of us has already claimed it as her daily driver! As much as we love the Roadster, getting in and out of it a number of times a day in all the crappy weather we had in the last year gets old, especially when wearing nice clothes. With my relatively short daily commute the Karma will be all electric except for the occasional trips we take that the Model S won't be able to make.

Looking forward to trading two unused and rejected gas only vehicles in on the Karma in a few weeks!

After driving the Roadster for 2 1/2 years the Fisker felt quite roomy inside when we drove it.
I would hope so:

attachment.php?attachmentid=3300&d=1320279899.jpg

TG Awards 2011: James May's car of the year - BBC Top Gear

Don't want to sound mardy, but I'm a bit bored with leather as a trim material.

We think leather is a bit classy, but let's not forget that in the early days of the car leather was used for the driver's quarters, because they were generally outside. The posh people in the back sat on cloth.

one of TopGear's car of year. And they agree you can have luxury without leather.

Innovate or Be Overtaken, Energy Secretary Tells Automakers
Chu said he is “very hopeful” that auto-industry newcomers Fisker Automotive Inc. and Tesla Motors Inc. will be able to repay their loans. The two sports carmakers received about $1 billion between them.

Congress spent money to cover loan losses, Chu said.

“There are no guarantees in this world,” he said. “Any new company is risky. Having said that, they're both very promising companies.”

Roadster & Karma

Got to see and ride in my friend's brand new Karma today. Pretty cool, I have to say. It's very long, but as others have said, it's more impressive in person than in photos. It rides very well - quiet, smooth and refined. Even as a passenger you can feel the torque of the electric motors.

BTW, the Karma is way bigger than the Roadster, even though it doesn't look that way in these photos.

Some side by sides:
attachment.php?attachmentid=3873&d=1320277791.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=3870&d=1320277791.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=3871&d=1320277791.jpg

The solar roof, pretty cool:
attachment.php?attachmentid=3872&d=1320277791.jpg

But yes, it does still have one of these:
attachment.php?attachmentid=3869&d=1320277791.jpg

Attachments

• Karma-Engine.jpg
    Karma-Engine.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 838
  • RoadsterKarma.jpg
    RoadsterKarma.jpg
    380.4 KB · Views: 493
  • Side-by-Side.jpg
    Side-by-Side.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 465
  • SolarRoof.jpg
    SolarRoof.jpg
    689.8 KB · Views: 529
  • Twins.jpg
    Twins.jpg
    538.7 KB · Views: 489
Like the early Roadster owners, he understands what it means to get one of the first cars off a new company's assembly line. He's found that if he doesn't ask the car to multi-task he's usually OK (has to ignore the tire pressure and check engine lights, though). He'll be getting the software upgrade next week. He's a real car guy, and it's fun for me to hear him talking about how much driving he does and how little gas he's using. He's also got a Model S Signature reserved for his wife, so it'll be interesting to hear him compare the vehicles - although I think they're pretty different.

It's the same with the Volt. The Volt is even more complex than the Karma. The only thing driven by Karma's ICE is the generator. The Volt's can drive the wheels directly in certain circumstances. The Karma has a normal old GM engine that pretty much any mechanic can work on.

If I had to make frequent long trips with lots of short commutes in between, and I had the money, I think I would go with the Karma. Once the got their software issues fixed of course.

I'm waiting to see what the Nina is like, since I'm not all that excited for bluestar. For me, the karma is somewhat attractive (my wife hates it), but it feels like a mess of engineering. Barely any storage space, the interior looks cramped, that engine bay a mess.... "make it look pretty, then make it 'go' afterwards".

Maybe by the Nina, the total package will be more attractive.

If I had to make frequent long trips with lots of short commutes in between, and I had the money, I think I would go with the Karma. Once the got their software issues fixed of course.
I would almost agree, but AnOutsider makes the killer argument for me: wretched storage. Those "frequent long trips" I make are up to our summer home, and I'm often bringing up our CSA share, a case of wine, etc.,; or heading off to ski, where I actually need luggage -- a lot of stuff that simply won't fit in the Karma. It's a strangely unuseful car, at least for my lifestyle.