Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fit & Finish Issues Plaguing Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There source appears to be Tesla fan forums which to me is anecdotal at best, however.....

“The forums are flooded with new buyers reporting issues with their new Model Y, refusing deliveries, and in some cases, Tesla proactively canceling deliveries due to issues.”

• Disagree
Reactions: Reeler
"Flooded?" Really? Look, it does seem that SOME MYs are being proffered that should have been much more closely prepared, but how many have complained here?

As the article stated, these fora attract people who have had some kind of issue with their car, the ordering process, or some other beef about Tesla.

Most MY owners are out enjoying their cars.

I pick mine up next week; I've certainly gone from a mentality of just go and grab it to having a printed checklist of what to check, a hand held mirror, sticky post-it arrows and my camera at the ready...

I'm hoping for a smooth pick up but plan on spending an hour on inspection...should I be this worried?

Last edited by a moderator:
I pick mine up next week; I've certainly gone from a mentality of just go and grab it to having a printed checklist of what to check, a hand held mirror, sticky post-it arrows and my camera at the ready...

I'm hoping for a smooth pick up but plan on spending an hour on inspection...should I be this worried?
Only if you listen to the negative Neds without considering the silent majority. :eek:

Picked up mine last Friday and, yes, it had some of the issues noted. The charge port door was poorly aligned. A door handle is overly inset. The hatch doesn't line up quite as well as I'd like. The charge door and handle have a ranger visit to fix. The hatch, we were told, you can tweak with the little stoppers on the hatch itself, but if you over do it the hatch won't latch. The infamous statement "it's within specs" came up.

Tesla seems to have the exact same problems with manufacturing that they had 8 years ago with my 2012 Model S. Just go in realizing Tesla isn't very good at these details and doesn't seem to care much. I suspect, until they become demand limited, they'll continue to make it low priority.

I walked up and down the 7 or 8 cars also being delivered at the same moment mine was and most of them had some thing that I'd have flagged on my checklist. The charge port door alignment seems to be particularly problematic. I don't know why they switched from the way the Model S did it, that 3/Y one seems flimsy by comparison.

All that said, overall it's a nice looking car and we're happy with it so far. It helps that the Portland, OR service center is pretty well run. I'd be a lot more nervous about my purchase if I had to go to one of the service centers that consistently gets bad reviews.

1. I pick mine up next week; I've certainly gone from a mentality of just go and grab it to having a printed checklist of what to check, a hand held mirror, sticky post-it arrows and my camera at the ready...

I would inspect it carefully, treat it like you would treat 70k of cash, cause that’s what it is. But enjoy the car. The chances of you finding serious issues and Tesla telling you to go f yourself are pretty small... The things you notice right away are the things you need to worry about because Tesla understandably stops repairing cosmetic defects pretty early.... the things you can’t see are going to be covered for a while

The article itself was largely anecdotal and lacked any substantive argument other than “the forums are flooded.” There were a few actual testimonial examples, but nothing quantitative to back up the gist of the article that Tesla has a major quality problem with the Y.

However, I think the same argument could be used to counter that it’s just “the vocal minority complaining.” Is it really a fair assumption that those who aren’t posting or don’t feel compelled to join a forum aren’t encountering quality issues with their deliveries?

Also, perception isn’t always backed by actual fact, so if there is a perceived quality issue picked up by the blogs from scanning the forums, the perception problem may be as concerning for Tesla as the actual quality problem(s).

I’ve never owned a Tesla. I have no idea what the Model 3 launch was like. But I will be honest that the perceived quality issue, at least at the beginning of the new model launch, is a contributor to me delaying, and possibly cancelling, my Model Y order.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikes_fsd
I picked up mine on thursday. It was not perfect but great. couple of problems were solved tight away. Opened tickets for 2 (One needs a part and another a minor adjustment for hatch gap. There were 2 dust nibs, and SC was afraid that sanding can make it worse (Only I know there they are :) )

Reactions: rxlawdude
I struggled to see problems in a couple of those photos. The seatbelt and the dent in the seat, sure. I'm expecting delivery this month too and I'm optimistic amongst all of the complaining that's been going on. I haven't seen anyone post again and again about Tesla Service not correcting lists of issues after delivery. So, it's my take that they are fixing as much as they can. The odd little alignment issue - e.g. a little wider at one end than the other - really doesn't bother me. A few paint issues? If they'll touch them up I'm good. I guess I just have different expectations.

Went to the Corvette forum and see the same type of complaints with their new C8 Corvette.
Paint chips, poor interior stitching, wrong bolts being installed, panel misfits.

Imagine it will be the same with most any production car that is in Uber High Demand. They don't have enough time to fuss all the little details when the line is around the block. Like the super popular soup Nazi on Seinfeld...NO SOUP FOR YOU! if you complain.

I was wondering the same thing.

In any discussion forum, people are more likely to post when there are issues than about uneventful deliveries.

For what it's worth, I started a poll to incorporate the opinions of the "silent minority":
Improvements in build quality after factory re-opening?

It looks like about half the respondents didn't need to have build-quality issues requiring service, so there's hope!

But on the other hand - a lot of Model Y's seem to require rectification, which is consistent with that leaded memo from Musk.

It's a small sample size. I do wish there were more responses.

I agree that it's wise to go through the car carefully before taking delivery, and being prepared to reject if the quality isn't acceptable.

• Disagree
Reactions: Jaycha2
In any discussion forum, people are more likely to post when there are issues than about uneventful deliveries.

That is definitely true, but one should not assume that everyone with the issues will post. I think majority of people that own Tesla are not on these forums. I think majority with the issues will also not post. I suspect there are lot of people that even do not think to look for panel gaps, misalignment or paint issue. They just take car as is and drive it.

Reactions: quadroplexor
I posted the issues I saw when I attempted tp purchase a model x. They are real and don’t require a detailed inspection to find. I also looked at the model Y’s they had on the lot. They were all sold cars back for repairs. They were terrible. There is no real way to sugar coat it. I may yet purchase a Tesla because I am a fan but I was stunned by what I saw. The Corvette C8 mentioned in the thread is vastly better in build quality on the 3 I looked at. Corvette purchasers tend to also be more picky. In the photo attached you can see the paint does not even wrap around the panel. It looked far worse real time than the photo because I positioned the camera wrong. Had the camera been 4 inches further right it was a bright white panel edge. How does that get out of the factory?

Attachments

• 564BB164-325D-4D58-A118-93ED876F054F.jpeg
    564BB164-325D-4D58-A118-93ED876F054F.jpeg
    394.9 KB · Views: 239