Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fit & Finish Issues Plaguing Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$70,000 Door

I recently went to the local Tesla store to purchase a Model Y. I was dismayed by what I saw. The finish work was so bad that it poised a danger. You could easily lacerate your leg on the door. See attached picture. I was prepared to spend $70,000 on this car until I looked closely at the doors. Instead I took a picture and walked out. Look at the corner to see why.

View attachment 566630
This is certainly not unique to the Y. It’s exactly the same door finishing as the 3, and maybe the S/X as well. The doors are aluminum IIRC, so corrosion won’t look the same as steel...

Reactions: richyrich
Few to many but not all. Some Model Y are 98% Ok and it's just a matter of coincidence/chance if those good vins get to you.

They pretty much all have build quality issues at a much higher rate than any other car manufacturer. Some Tesla buyers are less picky, but they are there and everything in the world (quality surveys, professional car reviews, owner experiences) points to the problem that Tesla doesn't care enough to solve their build quality issues yet.

The charge port door on my MY SN 90XX protrudes from side panel about 1/4”. Matching lens on passenger side is flush. SC says all MYs that way. No MYs in my neighborhood, so unable to verify. Please send photo of yours. Thanks
upload_2020-9-17_8-8-21.jpeg

The charge port door on my MY SN 90XX protrudes from side panel about 1/4”. Matching lens on passenger side is flush. SC says all MYs that way. No MYs in my neighborhood, so unable to verify. Please send photo of yours. ThanksView attachment 589085

See the service bulletin sticky thread related to the issue. While you're at the SC tell them to check all the other issues most importantly the steering wheel and calipher bolt issues.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: jsight and Dave EV
:mad:

so absurd. charge ports don't stick out on every other model, tesla just decided to do it on the MY? I've seen posts of people being told the same thing about taillights not being flush with teh hatch. really aggravating the things they say to get out of making things right for a customer.
Your door looks ok in the photo - if not perfect, clearly much better than mine. I couldn’t determine from your comment if you are aware of this issue on other MYs.

Your door looks ok in the photo - if not perfect, clearly much better than mine. I couldn’t determine from your comment if you are aware of this issue on other MYs.

Yep, I am aware. I just don't believe that it is intended to be that way, or that teh SC should try to skip out of making it right by claiming that's the way it is supposed to be.

It isn't just the charger door. like I said in my post, people have been told their taillights are supposed to not line up with the hatch when that is not true. Not only does no other Tesla have a "hatch recessed from teh taillights", but it seems now that Tesla has finally fixed their production problem with the hatch / taillights, Model Ys are showing up aligned just like the model 3 has always been.

Reactions: raggedy
The charge port door on my MY SN 90XX protrudes from side panel about 1/4”. Matching lens on passenger side is flush. SC says all MYs that way. No MYs in my neighborhood, so unable to verify. Please send photo of yours. ThanksView attachment 589085

I saw a LOT of them like that when visiting the SC a couple of months ago. It shouldn't be that way, though, and the recent service bulletin makes it clear what is considered acceptable. I think it is less of an issue on more recent builds.

$70,000 Door

I recently went to the local Tesla store to purchase a Model Y. I was dismayed by what I saw. The finish work was so bad that it poised a danger. You could easily lacerate your leg on the door. See attached picture. I was prepared to spend $70,000 on this car until I looked closely at the doors. Instead I took a picture and walked out. Look at the corner to see why.

View attachment 566630
I was assuming that’s the design of the door. Does anyone have a MY without the corner piece protruding? I’d like to see a pic of one if you do. My doors have that piece sticking out and it’s never been an issue. Not sure how your leg would come in contact with that part of the door?

I was assuming that’s the design of the door. Does anyone have a MY without the corner piece protruding? I’d like to see a pic of one if you do. My doors have that piece sticking out and it’s never been an issue. Not sure how your leg would come in contact with that part of the door?
Yeah, they're all the same. Guy made this comment and hasn't been back since, probably happily driving his Lexus ES now....

Looks like it could slice your leg open. The Model Y seems to seal the door skin without normal metal finishing or seam sealer. My Model 3 doesn't have this issue.

"All within spec."
The seal on the MY is no where near that part of the door. Unless you lay on the ground and move the door while you are on the ground, there’s no way this can come in contact with part of your body. I’m sure they could add a step to cut off the corners but it won’t help with anything.