Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fix your own yellow border!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the yellow border issue and came across this website about fixing it yourself with a nail bed curer:

Yellow Border Screen Fix | TeslaTap

I am three hours in and have drastically saw improvement. Right top right is gone already. I will update at the end if it actually went all away!

Attachments

• 94A9945C-2313-4634-AA4E-5468C866EA89.jpeg
    94A9945C-2313-4634-AA4E-5468C866EA89.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 259
  • BA38D730-658A-4240-AAF6-BEB1F8102148.jpeg
    BA38D730-658A-4240-AAF6-BEB1F8102148.jpeg
    82.1 KB · Views: 222
I recently had the yellow ring around my screen taken care of at Tesla. They did not replace the screen. They now have a UV light that fits exactly over the screen and bathes it in light. Took about 3-4 hours according to the tech rep. Worked fine for me.

I have had my Model S display replaces twice already for the yellow border issue. Once they also used the UL light fix, but it did not sufficiently fix the problem and they ended up changing the display (Nov 2020).

Now my display has again developed yellow borders. Anyone knows if there is a permanent fix for the problem?

Is the problem only on MCU1 cars - or do the MCU2 cars also develop yellow borders?

My instrument cluster screen had UV fix about 1 year ago and it's already starting to yellow around edges again.

Curious if there are replacement screens free from this defect. Now that Model S has undergone refresh, my fear is pre-refresh owners are ultimately left in the lurch.

Reactions: t3sl4drvr
I'll report in that I did the nail dryer DIY fix almost exactly a year ago on my MCU1 screen with good results. There are a few borders I only got to about 95% removal due to my hacky positioning of the nail dryer on different parts of the screen, but it was enough to dull the sharpness of the yellow lines. Enough to where I never noticed or remembered it, unless reminded to look for it; and the problem has not worsened or recurred since.

I cracked one of the four bulbs, but I'm sure it'll still work effectively with a bit longer treatment. So I've got it in storage for if and when the problem does come back.

Curious if there are replacement screens free from this defect. Now that Model S has undergone refresh, my fear is pre-refresh owners are ultimately left in the lurch.

The replacement display that was installed to my car in Nov 2020 still had the same defect of developing yellow borders. With this, I think your fear is warranted: displays will just develop those borders in every car and replacements are too expensive to do out of warranty.

Contacted service and the service rep wrote "UV treatment is the only repair we have available as there is not updated part revision for the touchscreen display"

I reminded that the UV treatment has been done twice before and asked for options on how to resolve. They stopped responding regardless of me pinging them daily. Service appointment is scheduled for today, but to make that trip I would need them to confirm that they can actually fix the problem.

Any tips on how to resolve?

Car has been in service 4 times for the problem already: display replaced twice, once 2 rounds of UV and once they lied that there will be a recall shortly on the issue and did not take the car in before that (recall never happened). With this, the car might actually qualify for California lemon law. Any experiences/tips in dealing with Tesla for issues like this through lemon law process?

Contacted service and the service rep wrote "UV treatment is the only repair we have available as there is not updated part revision for the touchscreen display"

I reminded that the UV treatment has been done twice before and asked for options on how to resolve. They stopped responding regardless of me pinging them daily. Service appointment is scheduled for today, but to make that trip I would need them to confirm that they can actually fix the problem.

Any tips on how to resolve?

Car has been in service 4 times for the problem already: display replaced twice, once 2 rounds of UV and once they lied that there will be a recall shortly on the issue and did not take the car in before that (recall never happened). With this, the car might actually qualify for California lemon law. Any experiences/tips in dealing with Tesla for issues like this through lemon law process?

Painful. Let us know how things went, if you took car to SC.

Tesla cancelled my service appointment today without getting back to me or answering my questions. Rude.

I went ahead and opened a new service case. Again asking for replacement and explaining that UV treatment did not work earlier. This time they confirmed that they ordered new parts and will replace the display. :)

Problem is that the display will likely again develop yellow borders over the time as they have not solved the root cause for the problem.

How manufacturers warranty works in a case like this after the end of the warranty period?