Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flashing Blue Light at Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I pulled into a supercharger today and after plugging in, the charging never started. It would say "starting to charge" and then "Charging stopped". I went out and the charging port was flashing blue. I tried a couple of other chargers with the same effect. There were two other cars charging with no issue.

Any idea?

Luckily I have enough to make it but this is worrying.

Thanks!

Yep. My model S did the exact same thing. It turned out to be a dead charger. Cost me $2100 for the out of warranty repair. What was interesting, though, is I could still charge using level 2 (e.g., my wall charger at home), just not supercharging.

Yep. My model S did the exact same thing. It turned out to be a dead charger. Cost me $2100 for the out of warranty repair. What was interesting, though, is I could still charge using level 2 (e.g., my wall charger at home), just not supercharging.

Thats exactly what it is doing. Going to try another supercharger and if it doesnt work, time for a trip to the service center

Thats exactly what it is doing. Going to try another supercharger and if it doesnt work, time for a trip to the service center

Good luck! I originally thought that because I could charge at home but not at the Supercharger that the problem couldn't be the charger and it had to be the high voltage junction box. But the SC assured me it was the charger and that's what the invoice I paid stated.

What does the on board charger have to do with supercharging which bypasses the charger and goes straight to the battery?

Exactly my thinking. I read somewhere it's like $1k to replace the HVJB, but I was quoted $2175 for the new charger. Not sure how it would be the charger. Just stumbled across this thread and wanted to see what OP had to say.

Just make sure that this isn't the software problem that effected all 2013 85s and earlier where they couldn't supercharge at most of the locations. There are other threads on this. Some folks were told their chargers or charge ports were bad and charged(no pun intended) to replace these components only to be told that it was a software problem after all. Some are still waiting for refunds for components Tesla repaired...that they swore to customers at first was really the problem....refunded.

Just make sure that this isn't the software problem that effected all 2013 85s and earlier where they couldn't supercharge at most of the locations. There are other threads on this. Some folks were told their chargers or charge ports were bad and charged(no pun intended) to replace these components only to be told that it was a software problem after all. Some are still waiting for refunds for components Tesla repaired...that they swore to customers at first was really the problem....refunded.

Mine is a early 2014 S 85. Initially they thought it was the DC to DC converter but they said it was working fine. They now think it's the charger but they have to wait for one to get to the SC before they can put it in and see if that is in fact the culprit.

What does the on board charger have to do with supercharging which bypasses the charger and goes straight to the battery?

@sorka I knew I had seen it so I did some digging and found where WK057 had written up some on this:

Also, if they tap the input feeds to the chargers themselves (between the HVJB and the chargers) then the inductive charger will need to be able to handle ~402VDC back feed during supercharging since these lines carry HVDC during fast charging (the Tesla chargers are designed handle and ignore this). The fast charge contactors do NOT isolate the charger AC-side from the HVDC coming in... in fact they bridge it with the DC side.

So when you Supercharge that DC voltage is fed directly into the charger and it has to ignore it, and not cause an isolation issue.

Follow up just so people know the outcome (I hate when it gets resolved and someone doesn't mention what happened), it was the master charger for me. Part, taxes and labor out the door is $2579 and change. Ouch. But my car supercharges again! I'm going tomorrow to pick it up and will see if I can get more info on how/why it failed. Maybe even get my old charger back.

Reactions: MP3Mike