Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flat tire question MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’ve had my car since Sept with a little over 3k miles and found a screw stuck on the corner rear tire. Been awhile since I’ve had a flat tire especially with no spare in it and I regretfully removed it thinking it may not even be deep. Long story short it was flat within a minute got it towed home and mobile repair states Tuesday would be earliest possible to repair/replace. Now I’m wondering if driving it up the flat bed and reversing out my driveway caused damage and would it be fine left flat a couple days out from repair?

Where in the corner of the tread was it punctured? If I ts in the outermost or innermost section of the tread the tire cannot be safely repaired.

Here is an image that shows the repairable area.

Punture Repair Area_650x400.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: zoomer0056
You can try to have it repaired, but I think that one may need replacement. The proper way to repair these tires is to dismount and install a patch+plug system. It needs dismounting to check the condition of the inside of the tire. Are tire can look fine on the outside but have major problem on the inside.

Reactions: Pianewman
You can try to have it repaired, but I think that one may need replacement. The proper way to repair these tires is to dismount and install a patch+plug system. It needs dismounting to check the condition of the inside of the tire. Are tire can look fine on the outside but have major problem on the inside.
Now would the wheel be fine being flat until Tuesday? I’m at 40% so should be fine lol

repair zone doesn't always stop at the outer groove but extends further towards the side wall. tire shops will have different policies on what can and cannot be repaired. i'd say that should be patchable but try multiple shops if one tells you its not repairable before dropping $400+ on a new tire. heck if it was me i would probably just plug it myself if repair shop wouldn't touch it.

TIA-repairable-area.jpg

Reactions: rolling green

I would not drive my family around on a plugged tire. After a puncture there can be damage inside. Have it properly repairedbat the least. It's not worth the risk to save a few $$$
while i agree that patching is preferrable to a plug, i doubt plugging will result in a catastrophic failure... slow leaks maybe...not for nail/screw puncture.

Last edited:
I had a screw in my drivers rear in the 1st week with the car. I picked it up close to home. I could hear it, but wasn't losing pressure, so I kept driving home hoping I didn't drive it further in. Unless I had a plan to deal with a flat tire where I pull out the screw I wasn't about to pull it out. I got the car home and wedged some wood blocks under the jack point and twisted out the screw. Luckily it did not go through. But I left the blocks there for safety to be sure it wasn't a latent leak. Several thousand miles later no issue.

I agree with others that the tire is pluggable in that area. If you drove the car while the tire was near zero pressure with the sidewall pinched between the rim and the tire tread, the inside of the sidewall may be chewed up inside the tire and the tire may need to be replaced. If you have a pump, pump up the pressure and put some blocking under the jack point so the flat tire won't get pinched. Better yet if you can jack it up and remove the wheel, take it to Discount Tire and have them plug it. Or a mom and pop tire shop. Drive it and monitor the pressure. A plug is not going to pop out... at worst it may slowly leak which you can see. And them you'll have time to plan for a replacement tire.

Sometimes it costs more to fix things properly. Yes, tires are expensive but I can tell you from experience at the minimum that plug will leak eventually. Possibly leaving you stranded. At worse you could have a blow out or other catastrophic failure of the tire.

These are heavy vehicles and while it might be temping to plug it know that your taking a risk. There is a reason why the industry and tire repair shops will not support plugging tires. It's a liability for them if something happens.

A patch + plug is an acceptable repair. Depending on the shop they may repair that. Some will go as close as half inch away from shoulder.

Absolutely pluggable/patchable. Plugs just don't fail. Find a shop that will do it and forget about it, you won't have any issues down the road. People drive on patches/plugs for 20...30....40,000 miles and never even think twice about them. If your puncture is in the same area as the picture above, it's perfectly fine.

Obviously the hole needs to be inspected and if something seems torn laterally, not a good idea, but if it's just a basic screw puncture you're in the clear. Better yet to pull the tire off to inspect the inside if it's a larger object for a patch+plug repair.

I've even done a plug right on the bleeding edge where it transitions to sidewall, and 20k later it's doing just fine. I meant to replace the tire out of caution, but....

Sometimes it costs more to fix things properly. Yes, tires are expensive but I can tell you from experience at the minimum that plug will leak eventually. Possibly leaving you stranded. At worse you could have a blow out or other catastrophic failure of the tire.

These are heavy vehicles and while it might be temping to plug it know that your taking a risk. There is a reason why the industry and tire repair shops will not support plugging tires. It's a liability for them if something happens.

A patch + plug is an acceptable repair. Depending on the shop they may repair that. Some will go as close as half inch away from shoulder.
As long as the plugged area contacts the road surface while operating, it will not leak and you will not be stranded. It will also NOT blow out or cause catastrophic failure unless you jump the curve straight on with high way speed, which undamaged normal tires will blow out as well in the same situation