Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flat Tire & Roadside Experience and Tesla Service.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I canceled my Model Y Pre-order today. This is what I would have liked to put into the feedback form but they limit the character count.

I got a flat tire and it took four hours to get help. I realize this part is not necessarily Tesla’s issue but this lengthy time to get help leads to even more problems. My tire went flat on me at 5 pm in a shopping center. When I contacted Tesla for roadside assistance, I was given a two-hour response time. I was okay with that but two hours later an update came in saying it would be another two hours. That was going to be a big problem for me because I had an appointment at 9 pm that I couldn’t miss. The text message said I could leave the car there and they would tow it to the service center if I couldn’t wait. I tried to call the number for clarification and instructions, but these are SMS only numbers. I got a ride home and finally got a response from the SMS stating to leave the key in the glove box. Great now I need to drive all the way back and drop the key in the glove box because the person didn’t respond to my SMS and I couldn’t just call someone.

The following day I waited until 30min after the service center opened to call for status. The person told me someone else would call me back. Two hours later and still no call back I decided to call again. Only to find out they do not have any tires in stock. They will put on a loaner and I would come and get it after hours that day. In the meantime, they would send me Uber credits since I was basically stranded without a car. The uber credit did not work and Uber support is nonexistent. I ended up calling Tesla again to see if they had any tips. They told me to remove the app and re-install that ended up helping but only compounding my anger since I am now five hours late to work.

I picked up my car later that evening and the following day I got to a tire shop. It was going to take the tire shop about three hours to fix my car. I had no intention of waiting so I went to my glove box for the keycard and it was not there. Now I get to wait another three hours while they get to my car because I have only my phone key. This is a Saturday and google says the Rocklin dealer is open so I assume like all other car manufactures service would be open as well. I drive over to drop off the tire and get my key card. Only to find out that I a dumbass your service isn’t open on Saturday. At this point, I am pretty pissed and all I want to do is give back the tire and get my key. They go looking for my key and eventually one of the sales reps says they usually put them in the frunk. I go check the funk and sure as *sugar* it’s in there. This isn’t the first time I have had problems with service. When Tesla delivered my car, it was damaged. Talk about a total buzzkill. The salesperson was so clueless she was asking my wife and I if we wanted to take pictures with the car. The paint was damaged and the frunk hood wasnt bolted on correctly. Never in my life!!! My new car goes directly into the repair shop for three weeks. If it wasn't for the tax credit at the time I wouldnt have accepted this car. Not in that condition. The service center had the same issues with communication. The loaner car was a total clunker pice of poop. So today I am canceling by model Y preorder and will never buy another Tesla until they get this sorted out.

I’ve learned a few things from other people’s misfortunes with Tesla’s roadside assistance.

1) Keep your AAA membership. They have experience now in servicing Teslas and they will flatbed them to the nearest tire repair store at no charge.

2) Keep a set of hockey pucks in your car in case you need the car jacked up and the truck does not have them on hand.

3) Keep a spare tire/wheel in your home just in case Tesla does not have a spare around and your tire can’t be repaired.

It will still be a hassle when you get a flat tire but it won’t be as bad as the OP’s experience. AAA is usually very fast to respond. Tesla not so much.

I have been finding out about Tesla service too lately however have not been stranded. Rivian can not come to market fast enough.
What makes you think they’ll be any better? Service is a tough business to spend on because it doesn’t have a tangible ROI the accountants can point to for investment. It comes in customer service and when you’re running 200mph you’re going to run over some customers along the way. It sucks, but I’ll guess Rivian will be in a similar boat, hopefully they’ll learn from Tesla’s mistakes but I doubt it.

What makes you think they’ll be any better? Service is a tough business to spend on because it doesn’t have a tangible ROI the accountants can point to for investment. It comes in customer service and when you’re running 200mph you’re going to run over some customers along the way. It sucks, but I’ll guess Rivian will be in a similar boat, hopefully they’ll learn from Tesla’s mistakes but I doubt it.
They have been doing everything right by me so far. If they continue and keep to their word on price and release date that is another good sign. Have not reserved on yet but might soon.

Had a flat today, 35 mins till tow truck dropped off a loaner tire and I was back on the road. Downside is the screw is in the non repairable area on the shoulder. Under 3k kms(2k miles) on the tires. Need a new tire.

Roadside assistance was fantastic, and she was very empathetic. Great job Tesla.

Getting a flat is NOT Tesla's fault. The loaner program is a great solution to the lack of spare.

I canceled my Model Y Pre-order today. This is what I would have liked to put into the feedback form but they limit the character count.

I got a flat tire and it took four hours to get help. I realize this part is not necessarily Tesla’s issue but this lengthy time to get help leads to even more problems. My tire went flat on me at 5 pm in a shopping center. When I contacted Tesla for roadside assistance, I was given a two-hour response time. I was okay with that but two hours later an update came in saying it would be another two hours. That was going to be a big problem for me because I had an appointment at 9 pm that I couldn’t miss. The text message said I could leave the car there and they would tow it to the service center if I couldn’t wait. I tried to call the number for clarification and instructions, but these are SMS only numbers. I got a ride home and finally got a response from the SMS stating to leave the key in the glove box. Great now I need to drive all the way back and drop the key in the glove box because the person didn’t respond to my SMS and I couldn’t just call someone.

The following day I waited until 30min after the service center opened to call for status. The person told me someone else would call me back. Two hours later and still no call back I decided to call again. Only to find out they do not have any tires in stock. They will put on a loaner and I would come and get it after hours that day. In the meantime, they would send me Uber credits since I was basically stranded without a car. The uber credit did not work and Uber support is nonexistent. I ended up calling Tesla again to see if they had any tips. They told me to remove the app and re-install that ended up helping but only compounding my anger since I am now five hours late to work.

I picked up my car later that evening and the following day I got to a tire shop. It was going to take the tire shop about three hours to fix my car. I had no intention of waiting so I went to my glove box for the keycard and it was not there. Now I get to wait another three hours while they get to my car because I have only my phone key. This is a Saturday and google says the Rocklin dealer is open so I assume like all other car manufactures service would be open as well. I drive over to drop off the tire and get my key card. Only to find out that I a dumbass your service isn’t open on Saturday. At this point, I am pretty pissed and all I want to do is give back the tire and get my key. They go looking for my key and eventually one of the sales reps says they usually put them in the frunk. I go check the funk and sure as *sugar* it’s in there. This isn’t the first time I have had problems with service. When Tesla delivered my car, it was damaged. Talk about a total buzzkill. The salesperson was so clueless she was asking my wife and I if we wanted to take pictures with the car. The paint was damaged and the frunk hood wasnt bolted on correctly. Never in my life!!! My new car goes directly into the repair shop for three weeks. If it wasn't for the tax credit at the time I wouldnt have accepted this car. Not in that condition. The service center had the same issues with communication. The loaner car was a total clunker pice of poop. So today I am canceling by model Y preorder and will never buy another Tesla until they get this sorted out.

k

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
I have been finding out about Tesla service too lately however have not been stranded. Rivian can not come to market fast enough.
As much as I can't wait for Rivian to come to market, they need a charging infrastructure in place before they can be worthy. The only reason I'd get the R1T or R1S is take road trips/go camping more than 150 mile away, and I currently can't do that with the lack of infrastructure.

OP, sorry to hear about your experience. I definitely wonder if/when I'll be stranded due to Tesla's service issues. But, then again, I've got Geico roadside, so I just hope it works out for me.

Reactions: C141medic
Roadside assistance is a third party waiting game at best.
AAA, Mercedes, Infinity, Lexus, Tesla, etc. all rely on. A network of third parties
With one thing in Common. The wait....
Mostly they can only tow to a service location that is closed, doesn’t have the part, or there are a half dozen people already in front of you.
If all planets align they “may” get there in 30 minutes with the correct part and have you on your way within the hour.
And if that happens buy a lottery ticket for you are truly charmed.

Reactions: pdxrajiv
Roadside assistance was fantastic, and she was very empathetic. Great job Tesla. Getting a flat is NOT Tesla's fault. The loaner program is a great solution to the lack of spare.
Had a flat today also. Bit of a mixup that roadside sent a Model S loaner first time, but 2nd visit and we're back rolling. Tesla's call centre (USA calling me in AU for the first 2 contacts) were all over the updates and Hamish the roadside assistance guy was awesome as was Austin from Tesla.

And as others have noted, roadside assistance came from a 3rd party agency who do many/most premium brands in this town. Roadside guys admitted the loan mistake was theirs not Tesla's - errors happen where there are people.
OW2I2kIl.jpg

Tesla can't warrant the cars against picking up a nail so was pleasantly surprised with this service level. Sorry to hear the OP had a different/terrible experience. Shows they have a lot of work to do getting the network up to the same standard but my experience has been great to this point.

Reactions: Hkbruin and KenC
Sorry to hear of your hassle but flats happen often at the most In opportune times. This is why I carry both a tire plug kit and a Tesla inflator/slime kit. I think the inflator/slime kit should be standard but it is not and I do not want to be stranded. I have had many flats and always fix myself as I am able to be back on the road in 15 minutes. As the Boy Scouts say, be prepared.

Reactions: Tron 3 and outdoors
Not sure why you are blaming this on Tesla, it tends to happen with most roadside services.
Plus, how can not having your card key be Tesla's fault?

You don't have to use Tesla's roadside service
You’re right he doesn’t have to use their roadside service. In fact, he isn’t by not spending $50K on a Model Y.
Doubt Tesla would be comfortable with that lost sale or even the other sales lost when his negative experience is shared resulting in others opting not to buy Tesla

Sucky situation. Flat tires are never fun. Second the tire kit. I tend not to use roadside assistance programs if time is of the essence. Go right to the source. Call direct to local tow shops. Pull up google maps and you can get many quickly. Call ask. Realistic time frames from paying out of pocket. Not third party. If local shops can't help you quickly chances of a third party insurance tow truck call are way down the list.

If none of these work. Uber and get to your 9pm meeting. Leave the car.

My comment to Tesla would have been:

Call me. Think I am cancelling an order. Have a 3. Tesla customer service has an issue worth speaking about. If Tesla doesn't think it's important we chat. Then I don't think I need to continue to be a new customer. I am the type of customer Tesla needs to continue to grow.

A personal or phone conversation goes a lot further these days than a email or text. Tesla needs to understand that. I hope they pick up the phone. They have had a tough time doing that lately.

Would be interested in a follow up to see Tesla's response.