Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flaw in chrome trim? Mismatch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

halfricanguy

Model 3 - LR RWD - MSM
Apr 18, 2018
NC, USA
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone’s back chrome pieces (surrounding the triangle-shaped rear door windows) are like mine, or if anyone knows the cause? Bad parts?

The chrome pieces are not as shiny as the rest of the chrome on the car, looks very clouded, and has a somewhat rainbow reflection. Ultimately, it looks awful, worse in person. Should I bring it into service? It’s like this on both sides, top and bottom segments.

C134DCE3-7C74-48BC-A793-D86DB22EF4FB.jpeg
9587DCD9-90F6-4FCB-95B3-F38D90EF0B93.jpeg
25D39E6D-80A7-4948-9919-5E0266797134.jpeg

Thanks all! I just checked and, now that it’s been mentioned, it feels (and even sounds) different when I wipe my hand across it as if there is a film on it, but if there is, I can’t find any place to peel.

I’ll call my SC and send over some pictures and see what they say.

To anyone interested in an update, I sent in pictures to the Service Center and scheduled an appointment. They called the day before and tried to shrug it off and act like it wasn’t something that could be replaced. I asked them to at least let me bring the car and show them.

When I got in a tech came and took a look at it, then walked around to 5 or 6 other Model 3s in the lot to determine if it was something common. Then he brought a detail guy out to look at it who agreed a layer of something was on top of the pieces. He took the car into the garage to see if they could buff it out, but we’re unsuccessful, so luckily the tech ordered me new parts (they had to replace the entire rear 1/4 windows which I know aren’t cheap).

I brought it in for service and they took care of it over the course of a few days and it now looks just as it’s supposed to be. They guy told me it was a good thing that I brought it in as soon as I noticed because typically these things aren’t covered by warranty, so if I brought the car in say a year later, they may have not done anything about it. He says they took care of it because it was obvious that the car was delivered this way and it is not how a new car should look.

Moral of the story, keep an eye on your car and if something doesn’t start looking right, it won’t hurt to reach out right away. I’m just thankful for the accommodating customer service they have (despite what flaws may exist!)

Reactions: Need
Did you have any paint protection applied to your car? Such as a ceramic coating, or a quartz coating? Or, was this basically as it came from the factory? My co-worker's 3 looks like this all around, and they are replacing it as we speak. They are asking about products that have been used on the car, etc. He did have a full paint correction + coating applied right after taking delivery. (Gyeon products)
IMG_20190703_120704.jpg

I too experienced this problem after 3 months of ownership. After much research with Tesla, escalating to their engineering team, and providing the ingredients for every product used on my vehicle, the problem was identified. The rear window trim is made with a stamping process much different than all other areas of the vehicle.

This is why the finish only changes on that area. The stamping process used cannot come in contact with a PH level higher than 13. I spoke with my local showroom where they shared this information from other owner complaints. (They have an internal case logging area)

I had taken my car to a touchless car wash a fair amount, it utilized simonez products. I used touchless as recommended in the car manual. What I was not aware of is that every touchless wash uses a high and low PH soap to remove grime and dirt. The simonez soap product (quest/mayhem) has a 13.XX PH level. Above the Tesla threshold that owners are not made aware of.

I was advised this defect was not covered by warranty but fortunately after a bit of back and forth, they chose to make a goodwill repair this one time with the caveat to only use products below that PH level as it would not be repaired again.

The recommendation from the advisor is to first ask the facility the list of products they are using and confirm the PH level before use. That really did not seem reasonable so I’ve purchased PH balanced products to wash the car at home moving forward.

Hope this helps clarify why this is happening for you all!

Attachments

• 0419FE9A-3DC4-4B7B-9631-6CC48F5D1154.jpeg
    0419FE9A-3DC4-4B7B-9631-6CC48F5D1154.jpeg
    250.4 KB · Views: 95
I too experienced this problem after 3 months of ownership. After much research with Tesla, escalating to their engineering team, and providing the ingredients for every product used on my vehicle, the problem was identified. The rear window trim is made with a stamping process much different than all other areas of the vehicle.

This is why the finish only changes on that area. The stamping process used cannot come in contact with a PH level higher than 13. I spoke with my local showroom where they shared this information from other owner complaints. (They have an internal case logging area)

I had taken my car to a touchless car wash a fair amount, it utilized simonez products. I used touchless as recommended in the car manual. What I was not aware of is that every touchless wash uses a high and low PH soap to remove grime and dirt. The simonez soap product (quest/mayhem) has a 13.XX PH level. Above the Tesla threshold that owners are not made aware of.

I was advised this defect was not covered by warranty but fortunately after a bit of back and forth, they chose to make a goodwill repair this one time with the caveat to only use products below that PH level as it would not be repaired again.

The recommendation from the advisor is to first ask the facility the list of products they are using and confirm the PH level before use. That really did not seem reasonable so I’ve purchased PH balanced products to wash the car at home moving forward.

Hope this helps clarify why this is happening for you all!
On my goodness, thank you! Yes, I apparently use Simonize, many times at:
Mr. Sparkle Car Wash - A Great Place to Wash Your Car
and I asked the operator if he ever heard of an issue with chrome, said no. In my case all my window trim chrome is damaged, unfortunately, but my hunch to get to the bottom of this before considering a replacement was correct, since I knew the issue would just return. also didn’t bring my wife’s 2020 there much, just twice during peak winter filth where it’s hard to wash at home. Guess I’ll need to avoid using soap there to pressure wand blast the dirt off then finish by hand in the garage using ONR.

Now how to figure out what to do about the damage already done, prefer a repair vs DIY chrome delete which I figure will need a redo every 2-3 years...

and I asked the operator if he ever heard of an issue with chrome, said no. In my case all my window trim chrome is damaged, unfortunately, but my hunch to get to the bottom of this before considering a replacement was correct, since I knew the issue would just return. also didn’t bring my wife’s 2020 there much, just twice during peak winter filth where it’s hard to wash at home. Guess I’ll need to avoid using soap there to pressure wand blast the dirt off then finish by hand in the garage using ONR.

Now how to figure out what to do about the damage already done, prefer a repair vs DIY chrome delete which I figure will need a redo every 2-3 years...

Not chrome. Chrome wouldn’t get damaged from soap of a high ph.

• Love
Reactions: tinkererguy
To clarify, I’m only talking about all the chrome window trim that is discolored on my 2018 Model 3, not any other chrome including on the side view mirror assembly. Here’s 2 pics, note it’s not just discoloration, it’s seemingly permanent marring that cannot be cleaned or buffed out. It’s worse on the rear quarter window, but it’s there all around.
30D0A7F7-7749-46E2-97AE-69FF576290E2.jpeg 3E7A8BE6-5353-4FD5-AEE4-0FCF1B8E3A1E.jpeg

Attachments

• 8A28E753-92EB-49DE-9276-D1895DAB8347.jpeg
    8A28E753-92EB-49DE-9276-D1895DAB8347.jpeg
    399.7 KB · Views: 113
To clarify, I’m only talking about all the chrome window trim that is discolored on my 2018 Model 3, not any other chrome including on the side view mirror assembly. Here’s 2 pics, note it’s not just discoloration, it’s seemingly permanent marring that cannot be cleaned or buffed out. It’s worse on the rear quarter window, but it’s there all around.
View attachment 509573 View attachment 509574

Do you really think it’s chrome?

Do you really think it’s chrome?
Whatever it’s actually is made of, how about I call it chrome finish window trim? Anyhow, it’s a cosmetic issue. Not a big deal, but apparent. It’s kind of ironic that touch-less washing my car to get winter salt and road trip dirt off (drove 25,000 miles last year) has apparently caused damage to my chrome-like trim. Looking at another Model 3 at Tesla Service with a nearly identical VIN 119,xxx and the finish looked fine, as it did on all other 3s there, and the 2014 Model S loaner.

Last edited:
Whatever it’s actually is made of, how about I call it chrome finish window trim? Anyhow, it’s a cosmetic issue. Not a big deal, but apparent. It’s kind of ironic that touch-less washing my car to get winter salt and road trip dirt off (drove 25,000 miles last year) has apparently caused damage to my chrome-like trim. Looking at another Model 3 at Tesla Service with a nearly identical VIN 119,xxx and the finish looked fine, as it did on all other 3s there, and the 2014 Model S loaner.

If you call it what it is, you will know how to treat it and make sure it doesn't get damaged. Calling it chrome when it isn't chrome is stupid.

View attachment 509573 View attachment 509574

See my post above. Your pictures are an exact match the damage that occurred to my vehicle. The PH level affects only the trim on the rear window panel. All other areas use a different material, hence why you see the cloudy/matte finish occurring there.

So glad to help avoid this problem with other owners vehicles. It was a lot of research with Tesla advisors and escalation to get to the bottom of it. You may want to try speaking with them to see if they're willing to do a goodwill repair for you as well. That is what my showroom manager did as I was not aware of this, nor do I think most Model 3 owners are. Given that we were ordering a Model Y as well, I think it helped them. (also curious given the Model Y is all blacked out trim if this will still be a problem in the future. :)

Tesla Service of Milford CT would not do a goodwill replacement when I asked again, unfortunately. I did a DIY wrap on just the window trim for now, it’s not great, seams shows, but it buys me some time.
I’ve added some related comments to Sandy Munro’s latest video about the Y trim here:
pointing back to this thread.