Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flufferbot, 'Hollowgate' and the hollow floor noise

Do you have the hollow sound?

• No and my car's pre May 2018

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • No and my cars post May 2018

Votes: 15 8.1%
  • Yes and my car's pre May 2018

Votes: 8 4.3%
  • Yes and my car's post May 2018

Votes: 154 82.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had my car since October 2018. I just went to put my sons car seat in. Which I’ve done no less than 20 times in this car since I bought it. This time, I stepped on the passenger side to climb onto the car seat to secure it and the floor made the tin pop noise. Applying weight on and off both on passenger and driver side right behind seat makes the sound and feels like the floor is flexing (like a metal sheet with a very slight bend in middle). This sounds awful and unsafe. The fact that I’ve never heard it makes me nervous to drive it. This is the first issue I’ve had. So they aren’t fixing it without cost now?

The fact that I’ve never heard it makes me nervous to drive it.

From what we know, this is more cosmetic than structural - this is still a Model 3 with a 5-star+ safety rating so, I would think that your son is as safe as it gets! The difference between your car and mine is that when the metal flexes a bit, there's a bit of fluffy padding under the metal floor that deadens the 'plonk' noise.

From what we know, this is more cosmetic than structural - this is still a Model 3 with a 5-star+ safety rating so, I would think that your son is as safe as it gets! The difference between your car and mine is that when the metal flexes a bit, there's a bit of fluffy padding under the metal floor that deadens the 'plonk' noise.
But considering I never heard it until now, does that mean my fluffy padding is now gone, never was there, or I just never noticed before?

But considering I never heard it until now, does that mean my fluffy padding is now gone, never was there, or I just never noticed before?

As your car was post May I don't think that you ever had it. I suspect you just didn't notice it. The way we've detected it though has been to bang on the floor to see if it resonates, not actually press hard like that.

Maybe you could mention it to your service center next time it's near.

I have a 2021 model Y and I noticed the popping sound when I picked up the car. I was told to make a service appointment and it will be dealt with under warranty. I made 3 appointments about this issue and was waiting for parts and was given the run around. A year and 2 months later I am being told I have to pay for this and it is not under warranty and that the sound is normal and every model 3/Y will have this sound. Also even if I get this fixed/patched, the sound will still be there but quieter.

Same hear guys, MYP 22 (Aug build) and a loud popping noise. I got aggressive with SC and they still said I'd have to pay to get it fixed around $650. He also said they might have a warranty fix by removing the battery and checking something, not sure what it was but if it's a problem it's covered but if it's fine then I have to pay $700 for labor??? Like are they serious? Just wild that this is "ok"

• Disagree
Reactions: bxr140
I’ve had my car since October 2018. I just went to put my sons car seat in. Which I’ve done no less than 20 times in this car since I bought it. This time, I stepped on the passenger side to climb onto the car seat to secure it and the floor made the tin pop noise. Applying weight on and off both on passenger and driver side right behind seat makes the sound and feels like the floor is flexing (like a metal sheet with a very slight bend in middle). This sounds awful and unsafe. The fact that I’ve never heard it makes me nervous to drive it. This is the first issue I’ve had. So they aren’t fixing it without cost now?
I have a 2023 MY LR & just noticed this behind the driver side's floor, close to center. It sounds like a metal sheet flexing. I just scheduled service.

I have a 2023 MY LR & just noticed this behind the driver side's floor, close to center. It sounds like a metal sheet flexing. I just scheduled service.
Hi, did you get it fixed too? I have the same issue on my 2023 MYLR June build, I just got it fixed, and they said they applied compression strips, and the flexing noise issue is completely gone. It took them almost two days to drop the HV battery pack and apply the compression strips.

I discovered same sound in rear seat flooring on my 23MYLR. Planning to take it in
Please let us know what the repair process is and if they agree to cover under warranty. I have it too on my 23MYLR but I have 2 car seats back there so right now it's only young kids that ever use the back seat and getting them in and out there's not enough weight to actually make it happen unless I climb back there and put my weight on the right spot.

For now, I'm not bothering with a service appointment as the car has been flawless over the first 4000 miles. If I ever need some other service appointment, I'll mention it but not right now when others have commented the fix (if there even is one) involves dropping the battery and even then, it may be just a band-aid type repair.