Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fobo Tire Pressure monitor for smart phones

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear FOBO Tire users,

We have been communicating with a member of this forum who have brought the issue to our attention regarding some user's vehicle experiencing "skipping" in their music streaming after having FOBO Tire app installed on their phones.

At the outset, please note that the FOBO Tire app does not access the A2DP profile for Bluetooth which is responsible for audio streaming during the operation of the FOBO Tire app. In fact, FOBO Tire uses Bluetooth 4.0 which is a low energy protocol that does not have the A2DP profile.

From our knowledge and experience in Bluetooth technology, the skipping during music streaming would occur if an app is accessing the A2DP protocol.

Our testing of our FOBO Tire app effect on music streaming with premium stereo bluetooth headsets have shown that there is no effect by our app on music streaming.

However, It is generally observed that there are known compatibility issues for music streaming with some vehicles' Bluetooth entertainment system that one can gather from the Internet. Some suggested fix includes:-
1) removing the pairing and re-pair the phone to the vehicle's entertainment system;
2) initiating a hard reset on the phone; or
3) installing the latest update for iOS.

There are many more possible remedies that have been suggested and the above suggestions are not exhaustive.

As such, we regretfully apologise that this is an issue which is beyond our FOBO Tire app control since we cannot prevent our app from doing something which it does not have the ability to do.

However, we are ever ready to assist our users in anyway we can and would welcome any of you who have issues in using our app to contact us directly through our email which is [email protected]. Please use this method to engage us so that we can assign our executives to handle your matter personally and provide more specific response to each individual feedback. This will also allow us to document our responses to continually improve our customer support services.

We thank you for your kind attention to this announcement.

regards,

FOBO Team

A reply directly from Fobo will be posted shortly...

I'm going to go for these, for my Model S and my wife's Prius....I definitely would like to get some early warning BEFORE I leave on a trip where the tires would go flat - the built-in TPMS on the two cars only tells you when the tires are pretty low already, and not even which tire it is...

Last edited:
Looks like the holidays are keeping their response from being approved quickly, so I'll post it here in advance of theirs getting posted...
------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for your update. Actually we have posted a response on the forum but the posting is still awaiting the moderator to approve.

There are a few things you could still try which are:-
1) initiate a hard reset on your phone (not a factory reset)
2) make sure that your phone has the latest OS update
3) remove the paring with the vehicles entertainment system and re-pair it afresh.

Please let me know if any of this helps.

Anyway, for your ease of reference, please see below a copy of the announcement which we have posted on the forum yesterday that is still pending approval:-

Dear FOBO Tire users,

We have been communicating with a member of this forum who have brought the issue to our attention regarding some user's vehicle experiencing "skipping" in their music streaming after having FOBO Tire app installed on their phones.

At the outset, please note that the FOBO Tire app does not access the A2DP profile for Bluetooth which is responsible for audio streaming during the operation of the FOBO Tire app. In fact, FOBO Tire uses Bluetooth 4.0 which is a low energy protocol that does not have the A2DP profile.

From our knowledge and experience in Bluetooth technology, the skipping during music streaming would occur if an app is accessing the A2DP protocol.

Our testing of our FOBO Tire app effect on music streaming with premium stereo bluetooth headsets have shown that there is no effect by our app on music streaming.

However, It is generally observed that there are known compatibility issues for music streaming with some vehicles' Bluetooth entertainment system that one can gather from the Internet. Some suggested fix includes:-
1) removing the pairing and re-pair the phone to the vehicle's entertainment system;
2) initiating a hard reset on the phone; or
3) installing the latest update for iOS.

There are many more possible remedies that have been suggested and the above suggestions are not exhaustive.

As such, we regretfully apologise that this is an issue which is beyond our FOBO Tire app control since we cannot prevent our app from doing something which it does not have the ability to do.

However, we are ever ready to assist our users in anyway we can and would welcome any of you who have issues in using our app to contact us directly through our email which is [email protected]. Please use this method to engage us so that we can assign our executives to handle your matter personally and provide more specific response to each individual feedback. This will also allow us to document our responses to continually improve our customer support services.

We thank you for your kind attention to this announcement.

regards,

Joshua Lim

Last edited:
I can understand FOBO's frustration because I do trust their testing. That being said, I must say the skipping has not yet been resolved. I've tried re-pairing and it still skips. I am already on the latest iOS 8.1.2. I wonder if we are running up against an Apple bug?
Not running the FOBO app in the background seems to minimize the skipping to a bearable level. If I keep the app running in the background, it skips so badly I have to turn the music off.
I'll try the hard reset but I'm skeptical it will make a difference.

I just installed on Model S and a Prius...all works fine, no skipping from iPhone 6 (8.1.20 in the Tesla - but I didn't do an extended test, will know more later.

AppleFan - does the skipping happen all the time, right away, or is it sporadic or take a while to start?

Hmm... That's interesting. For me, it skips once soon after I start the car (and the music) presumably as the FOBO makes first contact with the phone. Then how soon after it skips depends on whether the FOBO app is in the background. If yes, every 5 mins or so. If not, then every 15-20 mins. Oh, for some reason, it doesn't skip if the car is off (Car Off shown on dashboard). It skips when the car is moving.

And to Mark's suggestion: I moved the in-car unit to the frunk. It still skips but seems to be yet less frequent.

AppleFan-
finally got to go for a drive....getting the same issues as you, exactly. killed the app, disabled background refresh, still happens. I think it has something to do with the in-car unit communicating with the sensors, maybe? I'll poke Fobo folks again....

AppleFan-
finally got to go for a drive....getting the same issues as you, exactly. killed the app, disabled background refresh, still happens. I think it has something to do with the in-car unit communicating with the sensors, maybe? I'll poke Fobo folks again....

Hi gzerninplatz,

I dunno whether to be happy or not. Happy that at least I'm not alone. But unhappy it's still not fixed!
I just did a drive without the app running in the background and the music skipped once ten mins into the drive and another time seven mins after that. So it's more frequent than I originally thought. That was with the in-car unit in the frunk.

I've just tried putting the in-car unit in the trunk to see if it's better or worse.

I wonder if it's a bug in iOS? As in, it may not be a problem with the app but the phone dealing with two Bluetooth devices - the Tesla sound system and FOBO - at the same time. But as a consumer, it's hard for me to report to Apple. I wonder if FOBO can work with Apple on a solution? I can't blame it on Tesla as Android users do not have the problem.

Mine is doing the dropouts every 7 minutes....
--------------------
Question from Fobo (I haven't had a chance to test this yet):

The sensors and the In-Car unit communicates with the phone app much more frequent than every 7 minutes. By the way, when you say it skips when starting the car, has the In-Car Unit woken up yet?

I placed my in-car unit in the trunk so I can't hear the wake-up sound anymore. As a result, I can't say definitively. But from what I remember (from when I put the in-car unit in the little opening below the touchscreen), the music skips precisely as the in-car unit is waking up.
If it matters, I've noticed that the music skips for a while (say, 10-15 seconds), then does not skip for about 10 seconds, and then skips again for another 10-15 seconds. That pattern repeats roughly every 7 minutes (not regular, could be longer could be shorter...)

I'm also starting to wonder that placing the in-car unit further from the front (where I place the phone) might actually make things worse.

What else should I test?