Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Folks that got black (without any paint protection) how's it holding up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, with Tesla just uping the price of red to $2,500 I'm seriously considering just saving the cash and getting black. I love the color, when clean - and there's the question I've got.

I had a new black car about a decade ago, in addition to it looking dirty much more often than any other color car I've owned after a few years you could clearly see swirl marks and small scrapes in the paint in a way that I just never saw on any other color car.

Also, it seems like different manufacturers have better/worse quality paint. For example I had a blue Mitsubishi that seemed to have pretty thin paint, but my wife's grey honda appears to have pretty thick paint. If that makes sense....

So my question to you Model 3 black paint folks....how's the paint holding up so far? Do you regret getting black?

I went with black, not wanting to pay the uncharge for red (at the time, it was still $2000). It has a beautiful, mirror-like finish when it's clean. It projects a stunning contrast with the white interior and the red brake calipers.

Unfortunately, after just one month, I already see faint swirl marks in a couple of areas, as well as some hard water spots. None of our cars have paint protection (besides the usual wash/wax), but the black does seem to exaggerate surface defects and abrasions more so than our blue Model X. I knew what I was getting into, though, so no complaints. Just need to work a bit harder and more carefully to keep it clean.

I originally wanted red, but overall I don't regret going with black, especially after today's price increase. The money will instead go to some coilovers. :)

Since you asked about black, let me tell you about RED. This is my second RED. I've had cars of every other color. These two Teslas are my first RED. And having driven all colors now, I believe that red is safer. What? What's the color have to do with safety? I have noticed a lot less cars and trucks pulling out in front of me from side streets and corners when I am in red. I believe this is because every other color (well, maybe not yellow) tends to blend (and disappear) against the horizon. Blacks, whites, blues, grey and silver even green can disappear into the background as you approach a car about to pull out. But I believe, RED jumps out against the busy background and they see you clearer. I didn't know this when I selected my first red, but I do believe it now. So, you might want to think about how RED might save you from someone causing an accident and even when you are in the right, you will still do without your Tesla while you are waiting to get it back.

Reactions: MikeATL
I realize this post is a bit older but maybe it can help others trying to figure it out. As many have said solid black looks awesome after it is washed. Though a few minutes later it shows a lot of dirt...I hadn’t got protection and for about 3 months I washed weekly. I started to see surface scratches and even had a tiny rock ding in my hood. Needless to say I just brought it in for protection and coating...don’t get solid black without ppf or coating!

The black is certainly more challenging to care for, but the payoff is amazing.

Personally, I’d pocket the difference in price and put the money towards professionally installed PPF on the hood and front bumper and then ceramic coat the whole car.