Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Follow up to employee termination

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The comments here got a little too heated and crazy, which is too bad. I think it's hard to have the True Believers and the Seeking Alpha types in the same place, because they're both zealots on different ends of the same topic. Neither has more information than anybody else, but they all feel that they're right.

I guess my comments are this. Companies overreact when heat comes down on them from the press, and even more so when stock prices seem to follow a perceived or actually negative story. This decision could have come from a regional manager thinking they were doing the Right Thing for The Company. People with aspirations often do those kinds of things without consulting others first, in the hopes that their hard work will be recognized. Then again, maybe it came from Elon himself. We don't know.

On the other hand, when it comes down to disputes between a company and an employee, I will almost always take the employee's side until evidence is provided that they were in the wrong. Here in the US, employers have nearly all of the power when it comes to the employer/employee dynamic. And employees rely on their employer for much more than just a paycheck. Often times your health insurance and even life insurance policies are provided as part of your employment, and are terminated at the same time you are. If you get into a car accident on the way home, or you have a partner or kid battling chronic illness, being terminated like that can absolutely ruin you financially. That kind of power needs to be checked, in my opinion, so I hate seeing a story where a leaked email regarding a pricing promotion got someone fired. It's not like he was harassing a coworker, or stealing from the company. He was sending out marketing material to customers, and those customers were by his account responding positively.

Most important to me personally, and probably least to most people here, is that I have stopped reading Electrek long ago. I've had a few back-and-forths with one of the people over there, and in my personal opinion, facts don't seem to matter. Getting a story that gets views that turn into ad revenue is the name of the game. That's very sad to me. There have been several stories posted over there that were entirely wrong. Seeing people talk about this story when it broke just reaffirmed my decision. As others have pointed out, journalists have a responsibility to verify stories before publishing them. I know we're all getting more used to the twitter news cycle, but there's a lot at stake here for the protection of the US definition of journalism and the protections the press receive under US law. That may seem hyperbolic, but here in the US, the courts have decided that a blogger is considered a journalist (within reason). A site that claims to be an EV news site, then, has a responsibility to uphold their end of that bargain.

In the end, I guess I'm just disappointed all around. There are so many people that read too far into things, or go too far off the rails speculating with little information to guide them. Those of us that like Tesla and what they're doing are excited, and I get that. But that isn't a good enough reason to abandon _reason_. And this entire situation was started by exactly that.

seems like a classic case of cover your ass by Aaron's management, and hes was clearly the fall guy... happens everywhere. the store manager and all involved threw Aaron under the bus. Leadership doesn't exist in many places.. and when the crap happens, all the so called leaders duck out of the way as it roles down hill...

I think this is being a bit unfair to Aaron's low-level managers. His name was on the email. If upper management wanted a head for this, he was going to get fired no matter what. Only question is whether others would get fired with him or more or less step out of the way when the missile from above hit. I doubt there would have been any way to protect his job.

I think this is being a bit unfair to Aaron's low-level managers. His name was on the email. If upper management wanted a head for this, he was going to get fired no matter what. Only question is whether others would get fired with him or more or less step out of the way when the missile from above hit. I doubt there would have been any way to protect his job.

I don't quite agree. If the low-level manager approved the email, they do have responsibility for that decision - possibly arguably more so than Aaron, who had management approval for his email.

With power comes responsibility. If the manager had the power to stop that email, and the opportunity, but decided to allow it instead they are responsible for it. Aaron could well have had reason to believe management approval was representative of the company line.

Who can you trust, if you can not trust your own manager giving you an OK?

Now, obviously a lot of people (most people) a lot of time dislike responsibility more than they dislike power. We're all human. :)

Reactions: bonaire
So...I guess we'll just pretend there weren't discounts until the next fire sale?

Someone on the inside explains 30k off on CUSTOM ORDERS...there should be more than a few of you that constantly repeated that these were limited to service loaners and vehicles with outdated hardware in this thread apologizing and falling on your sword. If it's in here, I didn't see it.

Sad.

• Love
Reactions: bonaire and NerdUno
But, of course we later learned that those firings weren't performance based on at all. It does sound good, but at the end up of the day it was bullocks. A way of masking the true intention of the firings.

The firing is also inconsistent with Elon's main motto of taking chances. In fact I'd say that his ability to takes chances is what makes him a great human being.

So why doesn't he have some allowance for a Sales person to make a mistake or two? Was there anything so massively wrong about the emails that dictated termination? Did he accidently send an email saying most Tesla customers were morons? Did he spread false information in his email?

What did the OP really do wrong? Word choice? Really?

Kinda funny to fire a Sales guy for word choice when Elon himself went with Autopilot to describe a Level 2 assist package.

It also seems a bit odd to fire a Sales guy for some emails when you're being sued because Tesla can't even get it's factory workers to treat each other with respect. Should I even mention what Elon said about that one?
BRAVO!! YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD WITH THIS POST!

As far as whether this is Tesla’s fault or not, you have to remember that companies make mistakes all the time. Hiring the wrong person and firing the wrong person probably happens on a weekly basis in a large company. It’s unfortunate, but no company is anywhere near perfect. Just move on when these things happen. Hopefully learn something along the way.
HOW ABOUT FIRING OVER 700 PEOPLE? IS THAT JUST A MISTAKE AS WELL? I THINK NOT...

Well the company obviously has to cut costs, and it's not exactly news to most people that the Tesla organization hasn't exactly been efficient.

This is also a way to get rid of the worst performing 10% at the same time. If Tesla didn't do this, then 40 000 people would lose their job down the road instead.

Ofc it's never fun to get fired, but there's almost always a good reason for it. That reason may or may not be understandable for the guy getting fired, no matter how good one tries to explain him/her.

• Disagree
Reactions: exxer
By firing the 9-10% at once and more last year with the closing of a few Solar City sites, this says one thing - efficiency of money.
This also says for those who remain they will be possibly taking over the work of those who were let go in an effort to keep the revenue trajectory going nearly the same. Now, with attendance policies that are quite strict, demerits will be logged. Constant small pin pricks to an employee's life means one thing - the won't take chances, they will only do what they are told and not go outside their box. This is not a fun type of company to work for but what many call "a grind".

You don't go off and be a disrupting company creating a religious-like following and huge news coverage cycle and then turn the employee base into demerit-fearing automatons trying to do exactly what they are told including situations where if you miss a critical day of work (the make-press days of 5000/wk at end of June) for any reason, you can get fired.

By firing the 9-10% at once and more last year with the closing of a few Solar City sites, this says one thing - efficiency of money.
This also says for those who remain they will be possibly taking over the work of those who were let go in an effort to keep the revenue trajectory going nearly the same. Now, with attendance policies that are quite strict, demerits will be logged. Constant small pin pricks to an employee's life means one thing - the won't take chances, they will only do what they are told and not go outside their box. This is not a fun type of company to work for but what many call "a grind".

You don't go off and be a disrupting company creating a religious-like following and huge news coverage cycle and then turn the employee base into demerit-fearing automatons trying to do exactly what they are told including situations where if you miss a critical day of work (the make-press days of 5000/wk at end of June) for any reason, you can get fired.
Never seen anyone get fired for expressing a good idea. It might not go that path, but if a company can't have an open dialog and exchange of ideas between employees and management, the company will not go forward.

I've seen people getting fired for not coming with ideas and not participating with any opinions or thinking outside the box. Because that person was hired as a programmer to build solutions, not as an extension arm to write the code he was told to.

Or the people who got fired - atleast some of them - had jobs that became redundant or less important that Tesla would save money by eliminating those positions.

Have you considered that possibility?

Or the people who got fired - atleast some of them - had jobs that became redundant or less important that Tesla would save money by eliminating those positions.

Have you considered that possibility?

Sure, to some degree, but 9% is huge in terms of one big RiF (Reduction in Force).
This is something that happens when expense management is more important than having staff on hand to help customers through issues or to get things installed (ie. Solar City). It can imply that residential install teams were not utilized much and those not making a percentage of installs per month were terminated as whole teams. I thought this was the "dawn" of renewables and that there was growth across the segment - I also thought the Tesla name on the Buffalo GF2 was supposed to help with solar installations (perhaps driving down costs due to lack of tariffs due to USA-made product). It has to be "more than just" synergy. Synergy RiFs mean one thing for the staff that remains. More work for them, longer hours and taking up any and all slack. Solar City folks have already written on Indeed and Glass Door about their working experience there.