Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Following Distance Change for FSD.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly what happens to me. Very annoying!
I noticed the same thing this weekend (12.3.4 FSD) on our MY. Even on Assertive - same thing. On the DC 495 beltway - following distance is way too conservative and has drivers going around us persistently - which itself produces more opportunity for accidents in heavy traffic. I ended up enabling minimize lane changes as on two different occasions were we in the 2nd leftmost lane - max speed set to 75 - the vehicle in front of us slowed down a bit - and FSD signaled a lane change into the leftmost passing lane - meanwhile I'm watching the rearview and there's, of all things, a Lamborghini in the leftmost lane traveling at least 100mph - bearing down on us quickly - and FSD started to make the lane change maneuver - ugh. I've repeatedly noticed that FSD does not do a good job of observing rearward oncoming traffic rate of speed to help determine whether executing a lane change is a wise course of action. I intervened and just kept FSD offline until we were at the Rt 50 merge point - after which FSD failed to properly merge onto Rt 50 - stayed in the rightmost lane until it ended - despite the repetitive huge arrows indicating the merge lane was ending. Tried signaling it to merge sooner - nope. We were heading back from a weekend jaunt in National Harbor - saw the same behavior on the way down when merging onto 495 from Rt 50 - FSD failed to make the repeated lane changes into one of the two leftmost lanes to avoid getting caught up in exiting traffic in the two rightmost lanes - intervened again to avoid getting caught up in stopped traffic up ahead.

The system overall is just way too hesitant and unsure of itself - if I can do it with two eyes - the FSD system should certainly be able to do it better than me with eight eyes (cameras). It's good on open highways when there's not heavy traffic and aggressive drivers all around you - but it really leaves a lot to be desired otherwise. It's hard for me to believe anyone online posting that FSD has solved autonomy when I keep seeing it make some rather glaring mistakes and errors almost every time I use it extensively. This trip was roughly 120 miles each way. Overall it did a decent job, but when it fails, it does so with gusto it seems. On our way back home - Rt 50 merges into 301N and we stay on that road for roughly 60 miles. Both coming and going, FSD misread the state route signs (which are also white in MD state) as speed signs - and cut the speed - right on the screen - to 30mph - in one instance we had an 18 wheeler rig behind us - hit the go pedal to avoid an accident (getting rear ended by a rig). It happened a total of four times in each direction on 301N/S (eight times total). This was using the actual FSD AI stack - as despite the fact that this is a four lane highway separated by a median - FSD didn't switch over to the highway stack, with a set speed limit other than "auto", until the Rt 50 merge point - which is also screwed up by, again, staying in the lane that was ending and ignoring the big bright white arrows indicating the lane is ending on our trip down.

Reactions: beatle
I noticed the same thing this weekend (12.3.4 FSD) on our MY. Even on Assertive - same thing. On the DC 495 beltway - following distance is way too conservative and has drivers going around us persistently - which itself produces more opportunity for accidents in heavy traffic.
Exactly. FSD is a nice little trick but it's completely unsuitable for an aggressive metro area.

Reactions: HitchHiker71