Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't use FSD with passengers. Because I'm used to FSD behaviors, I know when it corrects itself and just ride it out, but a typical passenger would think the software is a drunk driver.

Otherwise, driving with FSD on is so much easier. Took me a few months to get comfortable but I now totally enjoy the experience.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I’ve been using FSD without a destination and it seems to be less frustrating with phantom lane changes.
I really wish I could use the FSD driving engine but have EAP functionality, i.e., I make all the lane change and navigation decisions. Unfortunately, doing that would require me to turn off navigation, as evidently you have done, but I really like having nav on the screen. Maybe someday...

I own FSD. My opinion is FSD drives like an erratic teenager first time driver.
I use mine all the time. I know where it cannot operate reliably and so I take over in those situations. Those are the construction zones as the cones are not reliably put on the road. Sometimes they are ok sometimes they are spaced wide enough to let a car go through. So NO to FSD with construction zones and school zones.

Reactions: sleepydoc
I don't see the point of even using fsd, it nags at just about everything and I'm spending more time trying to satisfy the system than ever before. I'm better off just driving myself and not having to worry about the system wanting me to randomly torque the wheel.

I just did a small road trip (4 hours) and within an hour I had notifications out the ass constantly even though I'm not doing anything but holding the steering wheel and looking forward.

I don't see the point of even using fsd, it nags at just about everything and I'm spending more time trying to satisfy the system than ever before. I'm better off just driving myself and not having to worry about the system wanting me to randomly torque the wheel.

I just did a small road trip (4 hours) and within an hour I had notifications out the ass constantly even though I'm not doing anything but holding the steering wheel and looking forward.
Dont hold the wheel, tug gently at it every 15 seconds or so. Not so much to disengage FSD, but enough to defeat the notification. You will soon get the feel for it and it will become automatic.

It is indeed something you learn. I have a way of holding the wheel with my hand resting on my knee that has become second nature, and I can drive for an hour with hardly any nags.
Second the notion.

For what it's worth, am back from another road trip from NJ to Boston and back over several days. All the restricted access highway driving was done with FSD 11.4.9, including getting back and forth across the George Washington Bridge, a place not for the faint of heart. A couple of minor interventions, mostly on the Very Local roads that Boston is full of (i.e., narrow, two-lane, but not really, with Really Strange Angles). Do wish that the new Summon would hurry up and appear so we all get autopark back, since it does parallel parking a bit better than a human.

Windshield wipers were a bit flaky; there was light drizzle and mist kicked up by other cars that would gradually scum up the windshield. The wipers would wipe, eventually, but not until it took a couple of sprays of cleaner to get the windshield clean again. Stating, "Wipers Low!" to the car more-or-less fixed that. When the rain was heavier, the wipers were fine.

Interestingly, went and made a long-overdue visit with a brother in Central Mass. In between visits he had gone and bought a Chevy Bolt, 2023 model. He spent quite a bit of time showing the car off. And having me drive it around, which was an experience since, natch, all the controls

There's not a small bit to like about the car. Seats are cloth and a bit more comfortable. Fair amount of room, front and rear, the rears being noticeably bigger than the M3 I drive.

For those who just have to have climate control buttons, this car's got a full set, a bit more advanced than ye cars of olde. There's two sets of screens, Model S style, one behind the wheel and another, around half the size of the Teslas' in the center.

And then we get to the negatives.

First and foremost: The car does have what Tesla would call Basic Autopilot with TACC and LK, but both aren't anywhere near as good as the Teslas'. The TACC doesn't hold speed that well, going up and down an MPH or two on hills. But the LK is Very Scary. Unlike LK on a Tesla, which more-or-less welds the car to the centerline, with an obvious shift away from large trucks, the LK on the Bolt.. drifts. With help, I got it into LK and the car started drifting towards the right lane line. And kept on drifting until it was nearly on top of it, then steered away. Then drifted towards the line on the left; lather, rinse, repeat. And during these perambulations, it got Too Darn Close to the cars in the adjacent lanes. My brother stated that he doesn't use it and, by gum, I can see why. He claims it works OK on highways with clearly marked lines.. I'm not so sure. FSD, EAP, and Standard Autopilot beat Chevy's approach all hollow.

People around here complain that they can't get Android Auto or Apple Auto. This car's got both of those and, to boot, Chevy's approach. I think one can also run Waze, but am not sure. However, only the Chevy one does pre-heat before DC fast charging. I dunno.. Tesla's approach of One App To Rule Them All when it comes to NAV does get some complaints, but not getting the car's basic functions working when on the alternate apps is a downcheck.

Other negatives: The car's about the size of a M3, sort of, but there's no Frunk. And the "trunk" volume is somewhat smaller than the M3's and a lot less than a MY's. One does get a freebie air pump and flat-tire gunk tool.

Oh, yeah: So, I subscribe to the Advanced Connectivity feature on the Tesla: $10/month or $100/year. He's got the equivalent on the Bolt. And that turns out to be Onstar, which is $35/month, and another $15/month for the traffic density stuff, for a total of $50/month. OK: So the Bolt is several thousand bucks cheaper than a Tesla, so it's going to take a while at $50/month to drain one's wallet, but, still.

The car doesn't quite have the get-up-and-go of a M3 LR, but he does like the instant acceleration. He claims it leans in turns, something that a M3 doesn't do so much, but I didn't feel much of a difference.

It is indeed something you learn. I have a way of holding the wheel with my hand resting on my knee that has become second nature, and I can drive for an hour with hardly any nags.
Part of the learning process is watching the screen in your peripheral vision - when I see the notification or blue glow come up I tug the wheel.

Tesla's driver monitoring software is far from perfect but it's not insurmountable.

It's funny how different people react to the system. Like @PianoAl, I just leave my hand on the wheel, maintaining torque. I don't even think about nags because I know I won't get any. I assume that others don't do this because it's not comfortable. The folks who publish YouTube videos have an incentive to keep their hands off the wheel in order to make it clear that they aren't driving. As I recall, that was a common claim against FSD videos.

I noticed the other day that if I have torque on the wheel when I engage FSD, it won't register the torque until I release it then reapply it. Somebody either rewrote the monitoring code or "optimized" it. In the process, they messed up a lot of stuff.

Reactions: JohnB007
Second the notion.

For what it's worth, am back from another road trip from NJ to Boston and back over several days. All the restricted access highway driving was done with FSD 11.4.9, including getting back and forth across the George Washington Bridge, a place not for the faint of heart. A couple of minor interventions, mostly on the Very Local roads that Boston is full of (i.e., narrow, two-lane, but not really, with Really Strange Angles). Do wish that the new Summon would hurry up and appear so we all get autopark back, since it does parallel parking a bit better than a human.

Windshield wipers were a bit flaky; there was light drizzle and mist kicked up by other cars that would gradually scum up the windshield. The wipers would wipe, eventually, but not until it took a couple of sprays of cleaner to get the windshield clean again. Stating, "Wipers Low!" to the car more-or-less fixed that. When the rain was heavier, the wipers were fine.

Interestingly, went and made a long-overdue visit with a brother in Central Mass. In between visits he had gone and bought a Chevy Bolt, 2023 model. He spent quite a bit of time showing the car off. And having me drive it around, which was an experience since, natch, all the controls

There's not a small bit to like about the car. Seats are cloth and a bit more comfortable. Fair amount of room, front and rear, the rears being noticeably bigger than the M3 I drive.

For those who just have to have climate control buttons, this car's got a full set, a bit more advanced than ye cars of olde. There's two sets of screens, Model S style, one behind the wheel and another, around half the size of the Teslas' in the center.

And then we get to the negatives.

First and foremost: The car does have what Tesla would call Basic Autopilot with TACC and LK, but both aren't anywhere near as good as the Teslas'. The TACC doesn't hold speed that well, going up and down an MPH or two on hills. But the LK is Very Scary. Unlike LK on a Tesla, which more-or-less welds the car to the centerline, with an obvious shift away from large trucks, the LK on the Bolt.. drifts. With help, I got it into LK and the car started drifting towards the right lane line. And kept on drifting until it was nearly on top of it, then steered away. Then drifted towards the line on the left; lather, rinse, repeat. And during these perambulations, it got Too Darn Close to the cars in the adjacent lanes. My brother stated that he doesn't use it and, by gum, I can see why. He claims it works OK on highways with clearly marked lines.. I'm not so sure. FSD, EAP, and Standard Autopilot beat Chevy's approach all hollow.

People around here complain that they can't get Android Auto or Apple Auto. This car's got both of those and, to boot, Chevy's approach. I think one can also run Waze, but am not sure. However, only the Chevy one does pre-heat before DC fast charging. I dunno.. Tesla's approach of One App To Rule Them All when it comes to NAV does get some complaints, but not getting the car's basic functions working when on the alternate apps is a downcheck.

Other negatives: The car's about the size of a M3, sort of, but there's no Frunk. And the "trunk" volume is somewhat smaller than the M3's and a lot less than a MY's. One does get a freebie air pump and flat-tire gunk tool.

Oh, yeah: So, I subscribe to the Advanced Connectivity feature on the Tesla: $10/month or $100/year. He's got the equivalent on the Bolt. And that turns out to be Onstar, which is $35/month, and another $15/month for the traffic density stuff, for a total of $50/month. OK: So the Bolt is several thousand bucks cheaper than a Tesla, so it's going to take a while at $50/month to drain one's wallet, but, still.

The car doesn't quite have the get-up-and-go of a M3 LR, but he does like the instant acceleration. He claims it leans in turns, something that a M3 doesn't do so much, but I didn't feel much of a difference.
Teslas auto wipers were truly awful but with the most recent software updates they seem to have fixed the problem. They're not perfect but I've never driven a car that had auto wipers that were. At this point I'd say they are at least average, probably a bit above average.

I drove a Toyota Camry as a rental car that had Toyota's lane centering feature (whatever they call it.) It was horrible -all it did was make the steering feel mushy. There's a cadre of people here that rag on FSD, calling it 'junk' but I agree with your assessment. The autopilot works extremely well and even with its bugs, FSD does as well. Phantom braking was a significant issue in the past. I rarely experience it now but I'mnot sure if it's because Tesla has fixed it or because I'm using FSD most of the time.

It's funny how different people react to the system. Like @PianoAl, I just leave my hand on the wheel, maintaining torque. I don't even think about nags because I know I won't get any. I assume that others don't do this because it's not comfortable. The folks who publish YouTube videos have an incentive to keep their hands off the wheel in order to make it clear that they aren't driving. As I recall, that was a common claim against FSD videos.

I noticed the other day that if I have torque on the wheel when I engage FSD, it won't register the torque until I release it then reapply it. Somebody either rewrote the monitoring code or "optimized" it. In the process, they messed up a lot of stuff.
For many years I have driven with autopilot and then FSDb using one hand at 5 o’clock or 7 o’clock to provide continuous torque. Never was bothered by nags. Now, as of the holiday update, I get the "Apply slight turning force to steering wheel" nag even though I am already dong so. I have tried increasing the torque when I see the message but that did nothing. However, momentarily reversing the torque dismisses the nag instantly.

The nag appears to happen every 2-3 minutes or so but I haven’t had a chance to do much experimenting. For example, I wonder if there is any difference between providing continuous torque vs none at all.

This is in my 2018 3 but not my 1019 X. Neither have cabin camera IR illuminators and both are on 2023.44.30.8, FSDb v11.4.9

I suspect the X does not have the NHTSA changes in spite of the same version numbers.

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394
For example, I wonder if there is any difference between providing continuous torque vs none at all.
With my system, my hand is locked in space because it's resting on my knee. Thus, when the wheel moves clockwise, the torque is counter-clockwise and vice versa. If the wheel turns a lot, it slips through the hand in a jerky way. Perhaps that's why it's so successful.

Has anyone experienced the two warning beeps without seeing the blue flashing?