Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own FSD. My opinion is FSD drives like an erratic teenager first time driver. Sometimes it's so slow it annoys you. Other times it leaves so little distance it scares you. It's jerky and not smooth. It automatically does lane changes on its own which I'd rather leave off and initiate myself; but there is no setting for that. The FSD minimize lane changes toggle setting resets every drive.

Also the attention reminders are much more intrusive with FSD, not sure if me being tall or sometimes wearing glasses impacts that as I believe FSD uses more interior camera. My favorite part of FSD was summons and that doesn't work any more with our non USS cars. Yes each that was actually an enhanced autopilot feature and not FSD.

I usually keep FSD off and prefer enhanced autopilot.

If you own FSD do you ever prefer leaving it off?

I subscribed, since I'm all in on $TSLA stock - I had to see.
I'm very disappointed - overall. It's great on the interstate steady state driving, but the incessant nags (vs autopilot) almost negates the lane changing hassle with autopilot.
Back roads in my area, completely useless and extremely stress inducing (and people pay for this).
Stop and go, very very uncomfortable (same with autopilot) - this needs an update FAST (my radar version Model 3 was much better, as was my E Golf from back in the day).
Makes it very very hard to invest in the stock - maybe v12 end to end NN will be better.....but when? two weeks?

I have been in FSD Beta for two years on two cars. I mostly only activate it on freeways and straight stretches of city streets (without navigation). If I use it with navigation on city streets it does too many bizarre moves, including incomprehensible lane changes, hesitation at stop signs and ignored school zones. Also, the navigation choices are often not useful and require frequent overrides. It is simply more enjoyable to leave FSD off when navigating!

I bought FSD license for two cars during Spring 2019 sale and transferred one license to my new Y two months ago. I have a total $12,000 ($5000 and $7000) ”invested” in two EAP/FSD licenses but even at that price I feel it has mostly been a waste of money. Free AP would probably satisfy most of my current usage, although it wasn’t free when I bought my first two Teslas in 2016 and 2018. Hopefully city streets will be more useful under v12. It couldn’t possibly be less useful than the current product!

The current product is so buggy that my wife never uses it. Just another example of how much more common sense she has than her husband.

Last edited:
My new Model S has EAP, but I subscribed to FSD for a road trip that I’m on now (I had FSD Beta in my previous S). I didn’t enable FSD Beta for the interstate portion of my trip, mainly because FSD Beta will change lanes without confirmation and some of those changes are unnecessary or undesirable, but I enabled it in NH so I could use it on rural highways and back roads, where it’s been working pretty well. I could use EAP on those roads too, but in many cases the speed would be restricted to 5mph over the speed limit, which isn’t always fast enough to keep up with traffic.

I probably won’t continue subscribing to FSD after my road trip, because my wife’s car has FSD Beta so I can play with it there. I do use it a lot when driving at home, but I often drive my wife’s car.

Lol everytime I activated it with my wife in the car it does something crazy stupid so now I leave it off when she's in the car.

I've turned it on twice now to see and yup it's still crazy on city streets. Way too stressful.

Like teaching a 15 year old to drive.
Not surprised you didn’t find any City Streets improvements on your recent FSD drive. I doubt further significant improvements will be done on v11 since v12 is supposedly the focus. My 12/2016 S will hopefully benefit from v12 in “not too many two weeks.” But since Musk warned that HW4 would be six months or so behind HW3, I will be surprised if I have v12 on my Y for a year or more. Luckily, I generally keep my cars much longer than the average owner and obviously have more patience than brains 😆

I was curious about trying it instead of autopilot, which really is not bad with autosteer and adaptive cruise control, but will save my money!

The main problem is that is slows down way to much for bicyclists on the side of the road.

Peter

I paid for FSD three years ago when it was on sale, mostly so I could get HW3, as I figured that would give me the best possible on-highway EAP experience, which I do value. Since actually installing FSD software about a year ago, I've used it a handful of times on surface streets, and as I expected, it's never performed well enough for me to want to use it for any length of time, particularly in the small historic downtown where I live, with narrow streets, lots of pedestrians, somewhat unexpected lane shifts and so on.

With every new release, I do try it out on the interstate once or twice - my commute to work is over 90% interstate - and while it can be smoother than EAP, it makes too many poor decisions, particularly with regard to lane changes, to be useful to me. Most of the way, I drive in the HOV lane, and there are 2 or 3 HOV-only exits to the left on my route; none of them are ever actually part of my itinerary, but FSD always seems to drift into them, forcing me to override. EAP handles these exits much better, though I do still have to be vigilant when passing them on EAP, as it's not perfect, either.

FSD also insists on making lane changes at inappropriate times, often seemingly for no reason, and with very little warning; I suspect that in some cases this is due to Tesla's navigation engine, which is actually pretty good apart from the fact that it fails to take into account time savings from HOV lanes when building a route, even with HOV lanes enabled in the options. So it will often want me to go around the city (where there are no HOV lanes), as that route might be faster than the route through the city without HOV lanes, but in reality, the same route through the city WITH the HOV lane is the fastest. Waze knows this, but Tesla's system does not, and so while on FSD, the car wants, for instance, to leave the HOV lane on I-75/85 in downtown Atlanta and move across 6 lanes of traffic so it can take the exit for I-20 west and eventually I-285 north, which eventually meets up with I-75 again on the northwest side of town. However, I know (and Waze confirms) that sticking with I-75's HOV lane all the way through town is likely to be faster, and far less stressful, as it requires zero lane changes and there are almost no semis, unlike 285, which is littered with them.

On the flip side, when lane changes ARE necessary to maintain the proper route, FSD will often wait much too long to initiate them. Just to see what it would do, I have let it get as close as 3/4 of a mile to my exit with no action on its part, while four or five lane changes to the right were necessary. Of course I took over manually and knew that I wouldn't make my exit without driving dangerously, so I went on past my exit and made a detour. Normally in that situation, I'd begin moving over at least two or three miles in advance, making each lane change when it's easiest and safest to do so, rather than trying to do it at the last minute.

Ideally, I would like FSD on-highway behavior, as I do believe it's smoother than EAP and like the fact that it'll nudge over for large trucks and such, but with me still in charge of all navigation and lane-change decisions - basically, EAP with the FSD driving engine. I know I can kind of approximate that by not inputting a route into the navigation system, but I do find it useful to have my route on the big screen, for ETA and the very good visualization of traffic along my route. Hopefully that's where we are eventually heading, with one Autopilot engine for all cars, regardless of whether they have FSD enabled or not.

Ideally, I would like FSD on-highway behavior, as I do believe it's smoother than EAP and like the fact that it'll nudge over for large trucks and such, but with me still in charge of all navigation and lane-change decisions
"Minimize lane changes" is your friend. You'll only get automatic lane changes "to follow route". Some of those are dumb, but it quiets the car down tremendously. You can trigger lane changes yourself by use of the turn signals. This is my normal way of using FSD.

Interestingly, I cannot find a reference to that setting on the Tesla web site. It's accessible by clicking right on the right steering wheel control (which changes the assertiveness of FSD). A small window will pop up on the screen and you'll see the button there. It has to be set at the beginning of each drive.

You mentioned FSD without a destination, and I use that as well when I'm on a long stretch of a road. Then it's just a matter of using turn signals whenever I need to change lanes.

"Minimize lane changes" is your friend. You'll only get automatic lane changes "to follow route". Some of those are dumb, but it quiets the car down tremendously. You can trigger lane changes yourself by use of the turn signals. This is my normal way of using FSD.

Interestingly, I cannot find a reference to that setting on the Tesla web site. It's accessible by clicking right on the right steering wheel control (which changes the assertiveness of FSD). A small window will pop up on the screen and you'll see the button there. It has to be set at the beginning of each drive.

You mentioned FSD without a destination, and I use that as well when I'm on a long stretch of a road. Then it's just a matter of using turn signals whenever I need to change lanes.
Yes, I've used "mimimize lane changes" but the car still seems to want to change lanes when I don't want it to, often because it wants to follow a route that I don't, I think. A good example is leaving Midtown Atlanta on I-75/85 northbound. I'm usually in the HOV lane, and need to stay on I-75 north towards Marietta. The main lanes for I-75 north are several lanes over to the right, and that's what the car tries to shoot for (albeit much too late in the game), but if you simply stay in the HOV lane, there's a dedicated HOV ramp to I-75 on the left. For whatever reason, the car ignores that and wants to move several lanes over to the right.

Thanks for the tip in any event!

Reactions: Drehrlenmeyer
I'm usually in the HOV lane
Say no more. I don't have any experience with restricted lanes, but from what I've read about other people's experiences with them, all bets are off. It sounds like you're much better off working with no destination and doing the lane changes with the turn signals. That should work well for highway interchanges, which only involve lane changes.

Reactions: Dewg