Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For a Luxury Car my Model S sure is noisy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think our car is pretty quiet and not bothered by wind noise. We have a sunroof. I recall reading a few threads on here about noise from a non-level windshield to sunroof/glass roof. Also someone with bad wind noise found an issue around the seals in the outer door handles. Might try looking for those threads. Both situations were improved or solved as I remember.

OP if people compare your noise to a window being open from our experience that's not normal. Try to determine where the sound is emanating from and have service check it out.

ah, found the door handle issue thread for you: Cause of door wind noise found and fixed....

Last edited:
You hit the nail on the head with this. 90% of Americans are satisfied with absolutely terrible cars. Those of us shopping for Teslas are spoiled and many of us used to a much higher standard than what most drivers would consider "acceptable". I've never owned a car with an MSRP less than $100,000 and so I am used to quiet interiors and luxurious suspensions.
No wonder why you are such a complainer. That's ok though, keep pushing Tesla to be the best it can be.

We have a MX and I did a test using a scientifically imperfect decibel meter app. Driving 45 miles an hour in two directions on the same road it averaged 66db. I did this test because I was suspicious that our Kia Soul EV was quieter and boy was it at only 60db. Granted the Kia Soul EV is the quietest car I have ever driven (and I've driven everything from Rolls Royce to VW Phaeton's to Lexus LS...) so it is not your imagination if your thinking a Tesla is not as quiet as you were expecting. From test driving the Model S I noticed quite a bit of road noise emanating from the rear wheel wells. But Teslas have quite a bit of rubber on the road which is the source of much of the Interior noise. The high efficiency EV tires the Kia Soul are a large reason for it it's incredibly hushed cabin.

You hit the nail on the head with this. 90% of Americans are satisfied with absolutely terrible cars. Those of us shopping for Teslas are spoiled and many of us used to a much higher standard than what most drivers would consider "acceptable". I've never owned a car with an MSRP less than $100,000 and so I am used to quiet interiors and luxurious suspensions.
And to think poor old Warren Buffett suffers through driving a series of clunky Cadillacs.

• Funny
Reactions: oktane
I've noticed a wide range of wind and tire noise in different Model S. My car is quiet (as in can talk in normal voice to passengers in the rear) up to 90mph. I've driven loaners that I had to yell at 60mph.

There are tons of areas where wind noise can enter the car if parts are poorly aligned/installed, particularly the sunroof (notorious for poor seals), the window seals, the door handle seals inside the doors, rear hatch also lets in a lot of noise (essential to have rear seats up, parcel shelves installed, and stoppers properly set), early cars had poor/no seals at some cable pass-throughs near the rear wheel wheels/rear door area. I'm sure I'm missing more areas.

Use DMV approved musicians ear plugs that are custom molded. Check the laws in your state.

Another option is to drive a Tesla around town at slower speeds as a city car. Rent or purchase another vehicle with the quietest ride for enjoyment during long distant cross country adventures.

Driving at 65 mph, even my 2009 Escalade is quieter on concrete freeways than any of the three Teslas I have driven. A dedicated sound meter helped me verify the noise levels.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Plug Life
Am I the only one or does everyone experience wind noise in their Model S. My wife always asks me if I have a window open when on the highway. Not sure if its the sunroof or just the poor design of not using door frames but my car is definitely not quiet like my wife's MB. I expected much better when spending over $100k on a car.

I think you should go to the SC to complain. My S was noisy at 65mph+ when purchased--the hatchback was not adjusted to spec. Numerous other threads document different noise related QC issues which they were able to fix. Post-adjustment, my S is far quieter than the BMW 5 it replaced. Good luck!

Reactions: daktari
I had a lot of windnoise also. Saw a few water drops inside the small triangle glass at the front door and complained. They adjusted it at service center, much lower wind noise after! I still has some wind noise from the panorama roof or the rear doors. Will have them adjust this to. I do have my doubts about the frameless door design, but seems they can adjust it to be better.

I left an A6 2.7TT Quattro in coming to my Model S. The wind noise is close to the same, but the interior is not as luxurious or hefty feeling. I'm getting used to the Model S, love the car and the acceleration but for a vehicle north of $100k it really *should* be a little nicer. Hopefully that Volvo interior engineer guy will start getting some work done and the 2018+ year models might get some upgrades, about time for my next upgrade.

In the meantime, I plan to do some sound upgrades (premium sound is ahem, "lacking") and while I'm in there will install some dynamat and other sound deadening. Mostly all I get is the road noise, very little wind noise and I certainly can't stick my finger through the gaskets!

I do miss AWD though. The RWD is a little fun as I remember from my Z days but gets squirrely so I can appreciate the dual motors and how much better the traction would be as I'm used to Quattro.

The driver and front passenger windows can be adjusted in or out to seal better. There is a hole in the upper rear part of the door that accepts some type of tool that makes the adjustment. Not sure about the rear side windows. The SC was able to eliminate 90% of the wind noise on the two windows on my just delivered 90D.

• Informative
Reactions: daktari
It's fairly quiet... If excessive noise, I would get it looked at : Auto Decibel Database 3dB difference is about double the volume of I remember correctly.

I took that page, put it into Excel and sorted it. I broke out the Tesla's on the list for comparison. I also thought it was ironic that the car the Roadster was based on was one of the loudest. The noise levels in the Model S and X are in the ballpark of the Rolls Royce Wraith. There are quieter cars, but not that many.

I have a theory that we hear little noises more with an electric car because you don't have the background hum of an ICE engine covering things up. Before I got my Model S somebody here was complaining about the rattles and squeaks his car made. Next time I drove my iCE and there were tons of little noises that I had tuned out because the white noise of the engine masked them, but I hear them all in my Model S.

Car_dB_Levels.jpg

You're very fortunate, very, very few people can buy $100K cars. My Model S costs 5X what my last car cost me.

Reactions: PeterHG
I actually brought my Model S in for some other issues a few weeks ago and one of the things I asked them to check was the wind noise. Since getting it back the wind noise is even worse. Its so bad that I have to roll down the window slightly every-time I get it the car and lowering the window actually lowers the noise..