Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For anyone who's lost their VIN lately with P-/ LR AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a last minute delivery appointment come through last Monday evening (no prior delivery window) for Thursday morning but they called to cancel on Wednesday saying "we have come across a registration / matching issue that is holding your specific configuration up and we can’t currently deliver these to customers until we have resolved this issue".

I subsequently lost my allocated VIN and SC VIN, so asked for clarification on what this meant and just received the following response:

"We removed the VIN’s just to ensure we didn’t accidentally release any to customers.

There is nothing wrong with the vehicle it is to do with the registration and matching of the vehicles.

To simplify it you ordered a Long Range Model 3, but the paperwork states that your vehicle is a Base performance Model 3 instead, so we needed to check this for each vehicle and ensure the right vehicles were been given to customers.

I am awaiting from our registration team confirmation of whether your vehicle is a Long range or base performance Model."​

So basically they have screwed up the paperwork for some of the P- and LR AWD orders, unsurprising as they have changed these about a few times in the order options and given the general chaos. So if you have ordered one of these and suddenly lost your VIN or not had your delivery date confirmed then this may be why.

Hopefully the two cars are the same and a software change can sort any discrepancies, but it looks like there may be a delay for some people while they resolve.

I think I’m definitely in this category having changed my original P- order to a LR AWD when it reappeared. A source code VIN appeared a week or so after I’d made the change so I assumed all was well and I was on track for my delivery window of 7-20 August. Then the source code VIN disappeared :) and I’ve heard nothing since. Although I happened to be in the Cribbs mall yesterday and was told by Tesla staff at the store that my order was currently VIN matched and delivery would be sometime soon.