Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. You're confused. Again.
Intel actually bins parts.
And when they do they give parts that test differently different PNs
And there's a million more stories of Tesla doing incredible dumb things other established companies figured out years or decades ago.
Tesla is borderline incompetent as an actual business.
They just happen to make awesome cars.
Those two statements lead to the possibility that Tesla "bins" and keeps track of SNs rather than slapping different PNs on the P RDUs. None of us knows what really goes on inside their factory.

Reactions: john85775
Those two statements lead to the possibility that Tesla "bins" and keeps track of SNs rather than slapping different PNs on the P RDUs. None of us knows what really goes on inside their factory.

Exactly. In the same thread people place reliance on a stamped part number as a proxy for binning practice but then talk about how incompetent or unconventional Tesla is. It’s remarkable.

Did you stop to consider Tesla could be binning without assigning distinct PNs? Call it virtual binning if you’d like. Hell, they could be binning after the assembly is nearly complete. Or even after completion.

Sure I did. I dismissed it as incredibly dumb. It makes the job of the parts, inventory, and supply chain folks all harder- they can't just look on a shelf at a part to know if it's a valid replacement- they have to go into the SECRET TRACKING SYSTEM in the computer to find out... and the value of adding that complexity is.... literally nothing. Ditto if they need to see how many of a PN are available for production use in a factory, or for moving parts around to distribution centers, etc. In every case binning by PN is demonstrably better.

Exactly. In the same thread people place reliance on a stamped part number as a proxy for binning practice but then talk about how incompetent or unconventional Tesla is. It’s remarkable.

Not sure why.

Failing to use a different PN while binning parts would be a great example of incompetence.

Doubly so if the existence of the 990 RDU means it took them 8 months to figure out how incompetent a business practice doing that is!

I mean otherwise- for the folks who insist there's some SOOPER SEKRIT SERIAL TRACKING NOBODY HAS EVIDENCE OF- and if the 990 is really the same physical part but "binned" for not meeting P spec- why would it need to exist at all if that unconventional secret SN system is so effective?

No, that's all pretty nutso stuff.

What occams razor keeps telling us is this:

A 980 is a 980. AWD, RWD, P, LR, MR, doesn't matter- all 2017 and 2018 model 3s got exactly the same rear DU- for manufacturing simplicity it simply made no sense during product ramp to have multiple different DUs going into cars. Such cars that are non-P could easily be flashed to be P and be exactly a P3D- at that point.

And

A 990 is NOT physically a 980. It's some cheaper version they finally decided it make MFG sense to have in production, possibly because it took that long to get one that was cheaper enough to be worth using, and doubly so with volumes about to go through the roof bringing China GF3 online AND starting to work on Model Y production.

Those are the simplest set of explainations that actually fit all known and available data.

I have the red underline when I press the Tesla logo button that's good. On the Driving, Acceleration submenu I have only CHILL and SPORT. However below that on the Driving, Steering Mode submenu I have the choices of COMFORT, STANDARD and SPORT. Immediately below the Driving, Regenerative Braking submenu I do have the TRACK MODE button.

You have a P. I was wrong that it had Standard. My coworkers showed me Standard before it turned into Sports so from memory I thought he had Chill, Standard, and Sports.

None of us knows what really goes on inside their factory.

Including Tesla factory workers if my paint is any indication.

Binning and keeping the same part number would be incredibly stupid. The only company I’ve heard of doing that is Nvidia. But they just keep the best GPUs for their founders editions cards and sell the lower performing ones to partners.

Reactions: MattUNI
Yes, lots (and lots!) of examples of the demonstrably better practice not being followed by Tesla.

Agree. Although I completely agree with Knightshade, I also agree with the premise that Tesla does incredibly incompetent things, also acknowledged by Knightshade. Haha. So, it actually would NOT shock me should they have been binning and not differentiating the PN, where somebody with half a brain cell finally spoke up and said..."Hey guys, don't you think we should follow industry best practice and make our logistics substantially easier by giving binned motors a different PN?"

Somebody probably got promoted to executive for such a brilliant and remarkable suggestion.

I definitely can see it going down exactly like that..lmao.

Agree. Although I completely agree with Knightshade, I also agree with the premise that Tesla does incredibly incompetent things, also acknowledged by Knightshade. Haha. So, it actually would NOT shock me should they have been binning and not differentiating the PN, where somebody with half a brain cell finally spoke up and said..."Hey guys, don't you think we should follow industry best practice and make our logistics substantially easier by giving binned motors a different PN?"

Somebody probably got promoted to executive for such a brilliant and remarkable suggestion.

I definitely can see it going down exactly like that..lmao.

The only issue I see with that idea is that the only way it can work at all is if you buy into the "they didn't do different PNs because they really have some super secret unknown tracking system instead!"

Usually when Tesla does incredibly dumb non-standard stuff they do it by doing less

Like not having a $2 rain sensor to provide actual useful wipers.

Or not having the ability to add nav points like a 2004 Garmin can.

Or announcing they'll close their stores and go online sales only to save money (only to backtrack days later).

Or announcing they'll make a cheaper model 3 with a cheaper interior and then just giving up on the different interior and using SW locks.

Or announcing they'll offer paid LTE data in cars and instead develop no system to do that and just continue giving everyone with data free data, and offering those without it no alternative.

They don't usually do dumb stuff by having extra things that are harder than the simpler ones... they do it by just ignoring the smart things and doing nothing instead.

That's not this.

• Funny
Reactions: holmgang
The only issue I see with that idea is that the only way it can work at all is if you buy into the "they didn't do different PNs because they really have some super secret unknown tracking system instead!"

Usually when Tesla does incredibly dumb non-standard stuff they do it by doing less

Like not having a $2 rain sensor to provide actual useful wipers.

Or not having the ability to add nav points like a 2004 Garmin can.

Or announcing they'll close their stores and go online sales only to save money (only to backtrack days later).

Or announcing they'll make a cheaper model 3 with a cheaper interior and then just giving up on the different interior and using SW locks.

Or announcing they'll offer paid LTE data in cars and instead develop no system to do that and just continue giving everyone with data free data, and offering those without it no alternative.

They don't usually do dumb stuff by having extra things that are harder than the simpler ones... they do it by just ignoring the smart things and doing nothing instead.

That's not this.
The only thing I don’t understand is why the need for tracking. The car is only built in one facility, what if the motors are made, stamped and then tested for whatever differentiating factors make the grade for performance spec or not and get assigned to build lines after?

Or what if they simply needed to get cars out at the beginning without bottlenecks and equipped all cars with 980 motors and advertised the binning piece because that was the eventual goal? And some logistics or component shortage limited them from making different parts. What if 990 motors are a newer, more efficient design hence why the number is higher? Lol. The speculation is endless and Frankly, none of it makes sense and your comment about an incompetent business seems to float better than any other theory. Wonderful cars though, I can deal with a circus corporation.

The only thing I don’t understand is why the need for tracking. The car is only built in one facility, what if the motors are made, stamped and then tested for whatever differentiating factors make the grade for performance spec or not and get assigned to build lines after?

When it comes time to plan production runs it's pretty important to know how many you have of the required parts. So if only "some" of your supply of part #123 can be used that's pretty critical to track. Hence why differentiation by PN is what literally everyone else does.

When it comes time to replace a motor at a service center from the parts inventory it's pretty important to know part # 123 can be replaced by part # 123, without having to find your secret decoder ring to know if it's "really" a part #123.

When it comes time for a distribution center to ship that replacement motor same kinda deal.

That's kinda of part of the reason to HAVE part numbers after all.

Or what if they simply needed to get cars out at the beginning without bottlenecks and equipped all cars with 980 motors and advertised the binning piece because that was the eventual goal? And some logistics or component shortage limited them from making different parts.

That's exactly what I suggested earlier- it NOW makes sense to create a separate, cheaper, part...especially since it's likely be used in much larger numbers with the Y.

What if 990 motors are a newer, more efficient design hence why the number is higher?

If they were more efficient that would show up in mileage/range- but it doesn't.

If they were more powerful they'd show up in Ps- but they don't.

Only thing that makes any sense for them to be showing up in AWDs exclusively is they're less capable of power as the 980 RDU, but cheaper to make.

Very very simple just put a hacker on this with couple of hundred thousand of dollard and after that need to charged 5000$ each for the unlock!!! everything is possible in this world !! the proof Elon Musk send a car in the space :)))

After talking about the Model 3 often for a few months with my closest friend growing up he finally pulled the trigger and bought his Performance Model 3 on Wednesday and I went with him to pick it up yesterday. I’ve never ridden in a performance model 3 until yesterday. I’m super happy for him, he got white on white and it looks amazing. But I’ve never wished for the performance unlock more than I am now. Especially considering I know he paid about the same as I did.

Here’s his beauty “White Cloud”
48B3DA3E-F592-4A53-B416-21EF79E73587.jpeg

Reactions: Scott7
I have not kept up on this thread and maybe this thought process has been debated.

But I always thought Elon would never offer a Software unlock because he would kill his Performance sales. But then he did the “FSD” sale and I think he killed people buying FSD with the car on the same reasoning. I did buy FSD with my Model 3 and did not on a Model X because of it. Why buy it now? Nothing works on FSD and he’ll probably have another sale. So then I thought for a while maybe he might just release an OTA P- upgrade. But...

Recently as some know, Tesla wanted to move some “inventory” (AWD 3’s). And they Announced a P- sale and poof that inventory is gone. Probably more profitable than if he offered P- OTA. Now I’m convinced it will never happen. Unless he does something really dumb which is entirely possible.

BTW I traded my 3P- for a non P X. I don’t miss the P a bit. One thing I did like on the Performance X though was it has more than Chill and Sport Mode. Something the 3P should have.