Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been reading this thread since Page 39. Will anybody take a crack at explaining to me the various feature sets of a US Tesla Model 3 Performance and please include your understanding of the enthusiast nomenclature, e.g., M3P, M3P-, M3P+. I have the feeling we all might benefit from it. Furthermore I'd like to note that when configuring a Model 3 Performance today or for that matter any day in the past using the Tesla USA website there is absolutely no mention of a P- or a P+. I traded my Model S for my Tesla Model 3 Performance demonstrator with 100 miles on the odometer in the final week of Quarter 3 (September 2018) with the Date Of Manufacture listed as 08/2018. The Monroney sticker describes one of the "As Described" features to be the Performance Upgrade for $5,000 USD. I was led to believe this 'Performance Upgrade' feature was responsible for the lower stance as well as allowing the Track Mode software to be activated. The Performance Pedals and the Carbon Fiber Spoiler and the 20" Performance Wheels are each listed separately as INCLUDED.

I would also appreciate all of your collective recommendations concerning the Model 3 Performance Carbon Fiber Spoiler and the trunk badging since both of these items were omitted from my vehicle due to the end of quarter frenzy to push as many Model 3 vehicles possible out the factory door. I was told there is a Due Bill notice associated with my vehicle that I can cause to be filled at will. Personally, I have grown accustomed to the stealth look and sort of think of it as a badge of honor for the early support. What do you think?

I'm really puzzled by all this discussion on whether P3- has a top speed of 145mph or 162mph. I have a P3- and don't know what my top speed is 145 or 162) and really don't care. I want the acceleration simply because I know I can beat the pants off anything on the road if I wanted to. It's almost like Dirty Harry saying "Do you feel lucky?"

I doubt if 99%+ of those who buy or want a P3- will ever have the opportunity to drive in excess of 145mph, or even 100mph, let alone 162mph. If they did they would buy a P3+, with better brakes, aerodynamics and suspension to handle that speed.

I think this discussion point is academic at best, pointless at worst.

If the "binning" confirmation (discussed earlier after a TMC member visited the Giga Factory) is indeed true, it appears 990 motors are really just previously referred to as 980 "unbinned" motors that didn't make the cut to be M3P DUs, and became LR AWD DUs only. Meaning, LR AWD cars with 990 coding or "unbinned" 980 motors are one in the same - Tesla just decided in the ~ March 2019 timeframe to go to a part number control system: 980 (post cutover, 980's that qualified for "binning") became the PN for M3P DUs, and 990 coding for LR AWD (these are essentially what was previously (prior to ~March 2019) the 980 motors that didn't qualify to being "binned" 980 motors for M3P's.

That is just plain conjecture. Could be? Sure. Or, 990’s could be a different inverter supplier. Or has double the dilithium crystals. We just don’t know ... until someone cracks two of them open side by side and tears them down, we won’t.

Now that this thread has the obligatory “someone please explain because I’m too lazy to read all the way through” and “who really cares” posts, I believe this thread can now be considered complete.
If you were referring to my post at the top of this Page 49, (since you did not quote a poster it is not exactly clear who you are referring to), I would like to point out the following:
The P3D- is all software.
This post occurred on Page 1 - totally out of thin air.

Now I am not trying to start something but Knightshade's Profile Information is lacking anything but his location of NC which I suppose stands for North Carolina, USA. So what is his claim to be the repository of Tesla knowledge with respect to this something called P3D-? He made a comment as if everyone should know what a P3D- is. I was just asking politely if the interested commenters on this thread would enlighten me. As of now I am still in the dark. Truthfully, I am getting a little perturbed with this thread's evolution. I would appreciate amplification upon this nomenclature with supporting links if possible. If it turns out this is a EU thing then I really do not care to follow along any more since I am located in the USA.

Reactions: VQTRVA and jebinc
Now I am not trying to start something but Knightshade's Profile Information is lacking anything but his location of NC which I suppose stands for North Carolina, USA. So what is his claim to be the repository of Tesla knowledge with respect to this something called P3D-? He made a comment as if everyone should know what a P3D- is. I was just asking politely if the interested commenters on this thread would enlighten me. As of now I am still in the dark. Truthfully, I am getting a little perturbed with this thread's evolution. I would appreciate amplification upon this nomenclature with supporting links if possible. If it turns out this is a EU thing then I really do not care to follow along any more since I am located in the USA.

Simply, P3D- is a nomenclature used here for the following configuration ...

"Model 3 Performance, without the Performance Upgrade Package (PUP)"

So, what does that mean?

The PUP is really 5 things --
#1 - 20" low-profile wheels & tires.
#2 - Oversized brakes. Designed to resist "brake fade" when in hard driving/on the racetrack.
#3 - Carbon fiber spoiler on the rear trunk hatch
#4 - Metal accelerator & brake pedal covers
#5 - Lowered suspension parts

So, there was recently a run of "P3D-" vehicles for sale in the US. Also called "Stealth Performance" by folks here. Essentially, it has all of the high-speed and performance characteristics, but without the 5 items in the PUP above. The rest of the posts here are speculation as to:
#1 - are there any other mechanical differences between the Model 3 Performance and Model 3 Long-Range All-Wheel-Drive models?
#2 - If not -- is it possible to turn an LR AWD into a "M3P-" with just software?

And here we are, 49 pages later, without any definitive answers really on questions #1 and #2. Signs point to #1 being "yes" - there may be some other mechanical differences in the drivetrain. Which means #2 probably isn't the case.

But we don't have a definitive statement from Tesla on either #1 or #2. Anything we claim to know is through inference or third-party knowledge.

So, what does that mean?

#2 - Oversized brakes. Designed to resist "brake fade" when in hard driving/on the racetrack.

So, there was recently a run of "P3D-" vehicles for sale in the US. Also called "Stealth Performance" by folks here. Essentially, it has all of the high-speed and performance characteristics, but without the 5 items in the PUP above. The rest of the posts here are speculation as to:
#1 - are there any other mechanical differences between the Model 3 Performance and Model 3 Long-Range All-Wheel-Drive models?
#2 - If not -- is it possible to turn an LR AWD into a "M3P-" with just software?

And here we are, 49 pages later, without any definitive answers really on questions #1 and #2. Signs point to #1 being "yes" - there may be some other mechanical differences in the drivetrain. Which means #2 probably isn't the case.

But we don't have a definitive statement from Tesla on either #1 or #2. Anything we claim to know is through inference or third-party knowledge.
Thanks for that very informative post - also I LOL'd at the Buick Enclave smelling like dead dinosaurs haha. :) Our other car is a Honda Odyssey which I HATE driving at this point (does it even move?) but LOVE for it's ability to easily carry us and our twin 18 month olds + 4 year old. Wish Tesla would make a Minivan or a lower priced SUV option.

So, there was recently a run of "P3D-" vehicles for sale in the US. Also called "Stealth Performance" by folks here. Essentially, it has all of the high-speed and performance characteristics, but without the 5 items in the PUP above.
Thanks for that explanation dmurphy. It is very helpful. Your description explains the issues. I thought I kept up with all things Tesla especially the Model 3 and I have never seen the Stealth Performance order page on the USA website. While you state for sale in the US, is it possible this was strictly an EU thing? If the M3P- was sold in the US what would identify it in your opinion, e.g., would it have red brake calipers but 18" wheels, etc...?

I now understand Tesla is the birth of this enthusiast nomenclature because of Tesla's odd and somewhat screwed-up marketing of the Model 3 Performance with the Performance Upgrade Package (PUP). It occurs to me this is similar but not the same as BMW's ham-fisted use of their "M" designation for performance items yet not being installed on an actual BMW "M" vehicle.

Thanks for that explanation dmurphy. It is very helpful. Your description explains the issues. I thought I kept up with all things Tesla especially the Model 3 and I have never seen the Stealth Performance order page on the USA website. While you state for sale in the US, is it possible this was strictly an EU thing? If the M3P- was sold in the US what would identify it in your opinion, e.g., would it have red brake calipers but 18" wheels, etc...?

I now understand Tesla is the birth of this enthusiast nomenclature because of Tesla's odd and somewhat screwed-up marketing of the Model 3 Performance with the Performance Upgrade Package (PUP). It occurs to me this is similar but not the same as BMW's ham-fisted use of their "M" designation for performance items yet not being installed on an actual BMW "M" vehicle.
The P3D Stealth was also sold in the US for a short time last year. I have one -a Sep. 2018 build. It looks exactly like an AWD (18 in. Wheels on mine) just has the quicker accel, top speed and track mode.

• Informative
Reactions: Jeff Hudson
Thanks for that very informative post - also I LOL'd at the Buick Enclave smelling like dead dinosaurs haha. :) Our other car is a Honda Odyssey which I HATE driving at this point (does it even move?) but LOVE for it's ability to easily carry us and our twin 18 month olds + 4 year old. Wish Tesla would make a Minivan or a lower priced SUV option.

Thank you! We're in the same boat. Model X isn't overly appealing (I don't care for the gullwing doors, to start) - but it's OK, we have another 7-8 years of life in the Enclave before we really need to do something with it. It's a great vehicle, for a gasoline-powered one... very happy with it, for what it is. Just burns dinosaurs. :)

The P3D Stealth was also sold in the US for a short time last year. I have one -a Sep. 2018 build. It looks exactly like an AWD (18 in. Wheels on mine) just has the quicker accel, top speed and track mode.

... and then again in the US this year in the mid-summer timeframe. Not an orderable configuration, but they ended up as inventory vehicles.

It was definitely a US thing. The RUMOR (conjecture, not fact) is that a mistake occurred at the Fremont factory and they produced a bunch of M3P-'s instead of the LR AWD's that were intended. How, why, is it true, is it guerilla marketing, who knows? But that's the rumor ... And most definitely sold in the US. Specifically, the lack of red calipers and 20" wheels is what makes it M3P-. The only way to tell is to look at the "About this Tesla ..." screen. Otherwise, it looks exactly identical to any other LR AWD model - right down to the badging. This is what leads folks to speculate that it's just the software that's different.... but we don't have any definitive, hard data to prove that.

And don't get me started on the Letter M nonsense. I'll let Prairie Dawn and Cookie Monster discuss that for us.

It was definitely a US thing.
Thanks, that was one of the confusing aspects of this thread's conversation which would make this M3P- not actually a vehicle that could be ordered. I wonder how many were produced? Is the thinking they were delivered with non Performance software (or with Performance software by mistake)? Were some of these owners able to get Tesla to install Performance software once they found out they had some Performance hardware (motors and power controllers) by mistake? How did the owners find out they were delivered a Frankenstein?

I'll just say it straight out; My Tesla Model 3 Performance is the most fun car I've ever owned in 52 years of driving. I smile every time I get in the driver's seat.

By the way, nobody has commented on my question of whether to have the Carbon Fiber Spoiler and Performance trunk badging installed. I would really appreciate all of your opinions about the matter.

I'll just say it straight out; My Tesla Model 3 Performance is the most fun car I've ever owned in 52 years of driving. I smile every time I get in the driver's seat.

Completely agree - almost a year later and I still enjoy the thought of cleaning it and driving it! Just got clear bra on the front bumper, ceramic coating, wheel repair for curb rash, glassparency on glass, and all glass XPEL XR+ tinted this past weekend and I love driving it even more now!

By the way, nobody has commented on my question of whether to have the Carbon Fiber Spoiler and Performance trunk badging installed. I would really appreciate all of your opinions about the matter.
Obviously you know this is personal preference, but mine would be to leave the badging installed and not install the spoiler. To each his own though!

Reactions: Jeff Hudson
It was definitely a US thing. The RUMOR (conjecture, not fact) is that a mistake occurred at the Fremont factory and they produced a bunch of M3P-'s instead of the LR AWD's that were intended. How, why, is it true, is it guerilla marketing, who knows? But that's the rumor ... And most definitely sold in the US. Specifically, the lack of red calipers and 20" wheels is what makes it M3P-. The only way to tell is to look at the "About this Tesla ..." screen. Otherwise, it looks exactly identical to any other LR AWD model - right down to the badging. This is what leads folks to speculate that it's just the software that's different.... but we don't have any definitive, hard data to prove that.

And don't get me started on the Letter M nonsense. I'll let Prairie Dawn and Cookie Monster discuss that for us.

These were also sold in Canada. Mine has the performance badging, i.e. the red line under the Dual Motor badge.

Now that this thread has the obligatory “someone please explain because I’m too lazy to read all the way through” and “who really cares” posts, I believe this thread can now be considered complete.

^^^ Bad guy ^^^

So, what does that mean?

^^^ Good Guy ^^^

^^^ Took one for the team ^^^ Thank you!

Last edited: