Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For owners of the 3. How many miles do you currently have? (and how many problems?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a lot major stuff to replace on a brand new car. Especially steering wheel and dash. What's wrong with them? Can you post a link to your Reddit. Also did you notice this on delivery or after?

Taking my delivery in Orlando and curious if I should be looking for these issues. Worried cause there are maybe three cars in Orlando so far. Two of which are Employee.

Called the only certified body shop here to get an estimate on that crashed one that's at the insurance auction in California and the owner who's also a friend stated we have no knowledge or anything of the 3 yet try at the end of the year.

This is concerning because the more of these that hit the road there will be accidents and issues. Tesla really needs to up their game on body shops parts etc for repair purposes. This will be very new territory for them having this many cars on the road in a short amount of time.
Definitely look for the issues and don't let them push you into taking delivery if you are concerned. I was told they are all different and unique in their own way. I would also not let them state that things are by design. If you have questions, get them to bring the lead Model 3 service tech in and they should be able to quickly tell you if it is correct or not. I was surprised how much the service tech knew, even pointing out common flaws they are seeing.

I deleted the reddit post since it was spreading like crazy and I didn't want some of the comments get to the press. Here is the shot showing some of the alignment issues. Note that these both have been corrected, but I have yet to review in person.
car.jpg

Autopilot 2.5 : piece of crap compare to my AP1.0, really need more work

This is pretty surprising to me. I've driven AP1 and AP2.5 cars and feel they are pretty equivalent (other than the visual display for cars not in your lane and for motorcycles on AP1) in terms of performance. Both have their moments of being "special" where they might miss a line or do a little pinball action, but saying that AP2.5 is a piece of crap really surprises me. Could you give some specifics of your experience?

Reactions: bhzmark
274mi
in the shop for the past 7 days, just got it back, for:

-weird high pitch morse code beep (no fix yet, deal breaker for me if they can't):
, and Model 3 annoying beeping sounds like 'morse code'

-loud HVAC blower fan noise and rattle (not fixable, not happy): Fan Noise

-torn front passenger seat (replaced with a super dirty seat i had to clean myself even though they 'detailed' the car, not happy)

-misaligned front fender (fixed)

-finger prints all over headliner and b-pillar (replaced both)

-misaligned roof (said it was within)

-glue on steering wheel (cleaned)

-steering wheel sewing seam way off center (not fixable)

-damage on dash board (replaced)

-damage on trunk lid, there was a resin bead that was painted over and it looks terrible, right where you'd put your hand to open (they took to a body shop and kind of fixed)

-scratch inside charging port (not fixable)

-scratch on rear fender (fixed)

-red paint on the driver door inside (replaced that panel)

-splatter on rear driver door inside (replaced that)

they fixed it all except the first two... making progress. mine is 41XX vin, If they can't resolve the high pitched beeping issue, I'm going to sell it. It drives me absolutely nuts.

274mi
-weird high pitch morse code beep (no fix yet, deal breaker for me if they can't)
I haven't even had the chance to use the lights. I sure hope mine doesn't do that cause I am also very sensitive to high pitched noises (still remember when I got rid of the old tube TV and replaced with flat screen...no more high pitched hum).

I haven't even had the chance to use the lights. I sure hope mine doesn't do that cause I am also very sensitive to high pitched noises (still remember when I got rid of the old tube TV and replaced with flat screen...no more high pitched hum).

mine does it all the time, but what i show in the video is how to isolate it and reproduce it. there are instructions in the description of the youtube vid. if yours does it, please call your SC and report it so we can get it fixed ASAP.

This is pretty surprising to me. I've driven AP1 and AP2.5 cars and feel they are pretty equivalent (other than the visual display for cars not in your lane and for motorcycles on AP1) in terms of performance. Both have their moments of being "special" where they might miss a line or do a little pinball action, but saying that AP2.5 is a piece of crap really surprises me. Could you give some specifics of your experience?

Sure. I've using AP1 extensively for one and half years and AP2.5 for a month. Compare to my Model S AP1, Model 3's AP2.5

1. Lack of showing correct cars on display. (everything is sedan)
2. Reckless turning, on AP1 it will detect the other lane driving speed before execute turning and matching the speed accordingly
on AP2.5 I've encounter multiples times that the car will accelerates first then brake for adjacent lane if that lane is slower than your current lane.
3. Speed adjustment is inferior compare to AP1, when other cars enter your lane in front of you, on AP1, it will instant matching front car speed. AP2.5 will slowly tweaking the speed. sometime I have to apply brake in order to leave a safe distance.
4. It still losing track of lane marking like AP1 on uphills, even following traffic.

Overall, I don't feel anything `Enhanced` compared to AP1, and not to mentions it comes with 8x more cameras, 40x more computing power on paper spec and twice the option price.

After reading this thread, i'm seriously worried at the amount of problems forum members have posted.

I'm long on TSLA and have been waiting forever to get my car, but i'm having my doubts about the quality of the car. You can bet I will check the car very thoroughly once I pick it up. If it weren't for the tax credit, I would not get this car. I planned on keeping this car for 10+ years, but i'm worried it won't even last that long...

Also a TSLA fan and believer but these reports of issues drove me to the edge and I cancelled this weekend and got a Honda Clarity PHEV. I just can’t imagine having to repeatedly travel to my SC over 60 miles away while they whittle away at defects. I hope to come back in two years for either a 3 with air and performance level or an S.

Also a TSLA fan and believer but these reports of issues drove me to the edge and I cancelled this weekend and got a Honda Clarity PHEV. I just can’t imagine having to repeatedly travel to my SC over 60 miles away while they whittle away at defects. I hope to come back in two years for either a 3 with air and performance level or an S.
I have a 3 and it has some of these issues. We are also going over our cars with fine toothed combs because we know they are early production. So would I return my car under the Lemon Law if I could? Absolutely not and I’ll bet if the people who posted in this thread were asked that question they would almost unanimously agree with me. As for frequent trips to get items fixed, one obviously needs to make a list and not make repeated visits. Most of this stuff is factory fit and finish.

I am curious about the reason for your post. You bought a Honda and obviously they are fine cars. But if you had bought a Model 3 would you have posted on a Honda forum about that decision?

Last edited:
Hood Emblem. (I would think that QC would catch this) It is slight, and not my detailers problem. If he fubars it up. He pays for a new hood. I think it can be adjusted within the cutout. I had to get out some blue painters tape etc. to verify. One of those things you see that can't be unseen.
I would say go to another detailer in the future. Sure it isn't their problem but they should make the effort. If it wasn't even mentioned that the logo was crooked by them, they aren't being detail oriented. I talked to my detailer today to ask about the steps involved in a full wrap. One of the things mentioned was they remove both Tesla logos prior to installing the film and replace them with new logos from Tesla due to 3M tape being thicker.

The fact remains they aren't sure if the logos can be removed shows they haven't done a lot of Teslas. If you've watched any of the OCDetailing videos on Model 3s being wrapped, you'll see that they always remove the logo same for the turn signal cameras.

I think you are missing the point of the thread, but thanks. Sometimes it's hard to see through the forest when you are in the middle of it. As always make sure you are confident in the statements you make about others you might not know.
I would say go to another detailer in the future. Sure it isn't their problem but they should make the effort. If it wasn't even mentioned that the logo was crooked by them, they aren't being detail oriented. I talked to my detailer today to ask about the steps involved in a full wrap. One of the things mentioned was they remove both Tesla logos prior to installing the film and replace them with new logos from Tesla due to 3M tape being thicker.

The fact remains they aren't sure if the logos can be removed shows they haven't done a lot of Teslas. If you've watched any of the OCDetailing videos on Model 3s being wrapped, you'll see that they always remove the logo same for the turn signal cameras.

It looks like this will be one of those threads where people post on topic, then it will be dragged through a trough of pig slop. Then let's move to ridicule the people that put the issues they have. They were stated as much now I regretfully wish I hadn't. I wanted to see if others experiences were similar in mine. If you saw my issues it was more than one.

Others say I should just tinker with the car till I fix the issues. Or I made the mistake of not doing X. Give me a break people.

Just stating the issues. Just stating the issues.

Reactions: Bgarret and cwerdna
It looks like this will be one of those threads where people post on topic, then it will be dragged through a trough of pig slop. Then let's move to ridicule the people that put the issues they have. They were stated as much now I regretfully wish I hadn't. I wanted to see if others experiences were similar in mine. If you saw my issues it was more than one.

Others say I should just tinker with the car till I fix the issues. Or I made the mistake of not doing X. Give me a break people.

Just stating the issues. Just stating the issues.
And if you looked at my previous post I did address several of your issues. The fact remains Tesla has a QC issue and I'm not disputing it. Your logo issue could have easily been fixed by Tesla if you hadn't put on film at which point responsibility goes to the detailer. Have you even tried to contact the detailer to see if they would reapply film to the offending area? You may be pleasantly surprised that they take responsibility for missing the crooked emblem. If you feel you were being ridiculed when I was giving you constructive criticism tells me all I need to know.

I have a 3 and it has some of these issues. We are also going over our cars with fine toothed combs because we know they are early production. So would I return my car under the Lemon Law if I could? Absolutely not and I’ll bet if the people who posted in this thread were asked that question they would almost unanimously agree with me. As for frequent trips to get items fixed, one obviously needs to make a list and not make repeated visits. Most of this stuff is factory fit and finish.

I am curious about the reason for your post. You bought a Honda and obviously they are fine cars. But if you had bought a Model 3 would you have posted on a Honda forum about that decision?

Sorry, I should have just said “another car.” I don’t want to try to troll anyone. That’s not my intent. My personal situation is that I’m disappointed with the issues being seen and your own post about your roof and the lack of responsiveness from the SC was very concerning. Mainly I think I should have just purchased a model S a year or so ago and been driving happy ever since. This “other car” was necessary because of timing but I am not dissatisfied with it at all. Its going to allow time for a Model S refresh which hopefully brings some of the Model 3 design over but keeps the more luxury feel or for a Model 3 in more of a “Touring” Model with air suspension etc. I will also be waiting until there is some sort of proof of positive movement on FSD as it has been quite a while since the original demonstration videos were posted.

My expectations of timelines for delivery, FSD, etc were obviously unrealistic as I chose to only add a small “Elon time” factor to the statements of the CEO instead of the recommended factor of “add two years”. My mistake.

I will stay here as I wait, but as a supporting member I will feel free to jump into the conversation occasionally. I’ll also look around for a place to chat about that other car as well.

I agree that AP1 and AP2.5 are pretty equivalent. But I do miss a couple of yet to be added features, ie, button to keep A/C going when you exit car.

650 miles, and it’s perfect. Zero physical issues.

I am still disappointed with the key system. On an iPhone, iOS is killing the background Tesla task so the virtual key doesn’t work unless you pull up the app. It’s also not flexable enough if you have multiple Teslas on your account and you want to give access to just the 3 to someone and not your other cars.

I’m hopeful Tesla will get special permissions from Apple to fix problem 1, and will solve problem 2 with a future update.