Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For The Love Of God Tesla/elon $1k For The Color Black...???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, unless I'm misunderstanding what's going on, that's basically a $1000 price increase since there will be no paint colors available that don't add to the price of the car.

I really wish they'd just increase the price of the car if that's what they need to do to survive and quit playing games like this. I'm fairly certain you can't order one in "bare metal" so this is a $1k price increase to all models since black was the only color "included" in the base price.

He later tweeted that a regular white (not pearl) would be free. They previously offered white up until mid 2016.

Elon Musk on Twitter

upload_2019-6-19_12-45-21.png

Yeah, unless I'm misunderstanding what's going on, that's basically a $1000 price increase since there will be no paint colors available that don't add to the price of the car.

I really wish they'd just increase the price of the car if that's what they need to do to survive and quit playing games like this. I'm fairly certain you can't order one in "bare metal" so this is a $1k price increase to all models since black was the only color "included" in the base price.

Oh for pity's sake. The OP wrote "tweeted". How about checking Twitter to see if somebody asked the obvious question.

They did and he replied.

Elon Musk on Twitter

Dealer of Happiness
‏ @dealer_of_happy
21m21 minutes ago
Replying to @elonmusk

Will there be a standard/free color?

8 replies 3 retweets 221 likes
Elon Musk
‏Verified account @elonmusk
15m15 minutes ago

A simple white (not pearl multi-coat)

They're changing the basic color to white instead of black.

Plain white is good. There's too many black out there.
Back in 2016 when we were ordering our first cars, I compared white and pearl white side-by-side and chose regular white for my car since I liked how it looked. Many talked about the "stormtrooper" look back then.

I delayed delivery on that S and ended up switching to metallic silver when Tesla stopped offering the plain white.

My current S has pearl white with a matte wrap.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
I want white.

I don’t want to pay $1000 for dark grey.
I don’t want to pay $1500 for blue.
I don’t want to pay $2000 for white pearl.
I don’t want to pay $2500 for red.
I don’t want to pay $1000-2500 for any color.

Black shows all the defects for free.
I don’t want black.

I want white. I applaud this decision.

Now, when can I reconfigure my Y for white?

Plain white is good. There's too many black out there.

FWIW, according to Electrek, black is the most popular color among all cars, but white trails pretty closely:

most-popular-car-colors.jpg

That said, among Teslas, it's different. TeslaFi has a statistics page that lists car colors, among other data. Unfortunately, it's throwing errors right now, so I can only go by memory; but I'm pretty sure that white was much less popular among Teslas, and especially among Model 3s -- IIRC, it's #4 of the five current colors. I'm guessing this is because pearl white metallic is one of the pricier options. Changing the default to white will probably increase the popularity of white, especially if you merge this new "basic white" and pearl white metallic.

FWIW, according to Electrek, black is the most popular color among all cars, but white trails pretty closely:

This is one list I'm actually glad to be on the bottom of. I only see white, grey and black cars around. It's like no one has any imagination or desire to get something at least a bit different. I absolutely love my wife's Habanero Orange VW.