Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For those waiting for VIN, MVPA, texts ordelivery, just know that it makes NO sense how it is done

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No one doubts the delivery estimate on the order page. I doubt those being delivered now are rejects. Would be fraudulent to re-VIN a return/refused car, and all being delivered have May build dates.

Agreed. To knowingly push out rejected vehicles (without disclosure) would be a risky action for Tesla. Not saying it’s impossible, but I hesitate to believe that.

Agreed. To knowingly push out rejected vehicles (without disclosure) would be a risky action for Tesla. Not saying it’s impossible, but I hesitate to believe that.

It could be rejected vehicles to people who’s financial situation changed as well. They might have been allocated in March and built in May before Tesla reached out to see if they were still interested in delivery. They could also be cars with QC issues that the original person rejected. It’s not like the car was totaled, so they might be able to find someone else who is willing to accept on delivery.

The whole process seems somewhat disjointed and at this point any story seems somewhat feasible given the lack of communication.

Reactions: aburrows
Here is my story...

Order MSM AWD with white interior performance (no PUP) and tow hitch and FSD with Littleton, Colorado Service Center on 4/22/20...
Heard nothing...
Decided to order another IDENTICAL one WITHOUT tow hitch to the Superior, Colorado service center on 6/1/20 to see if that would speed things up....
The next day I got that "2-4 week delivery" text and then yesterday, I got a call from Adrienne at the Las Vegas facility just confirming and finalizing my "no trade/not financing" status and letting me know that the car would likely be ready this month (hence why he called me). He did not have a VIN yet but also confirmed with me that the car would come to SUPERIOR (yes, that's right, this was not the order I made 7 weeks ago but the order I made 3 days ago). The cars are IDENTICAL except for the Tow Hitch not being on the second order (and Adrienne confirmed that they are pretty much all getting shipped without tow hitches to have them installed later at the service center).

And here I am on this forum reading about people who put in orders in 2019 and have heard nothing and I just have some weird luck by ordering a second vehicle that gets confirmed before my first vehicle did. Its just plain loopy.

The only thing I can suggest is to maybe order a second vehicle (if you can spare losing $100) to a different service center and remove the hitch and see if that speeds up your delivery. Who the heck knows...

My take on this is that they're doing the tow hitch in batches. Check the order page or search the Model Y pages on FB. People are receiving VINs with factory installed tow hitch. Your new order you placed just happened to be available coming to your region. I have heard they are doing the tow hitch as an option for those that want it done after they receive the car for an extra $200.

I think it's important to remember that they are rolling out all across the country at once, and we are only in line behind people in our region. Those in California are in line behind a lot more people and they aren't all on these forums. Whereas someone in Florida or Maryland or Boston may have ordered at a later date but still be closer to the top of the list for their region.

So I was forwarded this post by awedio_femi (Thanks!) where others are talking about delivery in the thread below:
Text from Tesla - but no VIN/MVPA yet

So what's crazy in that thread is there are a few of us in the opposite camp- or what I was calling the island of misfit toys.. We have VINS, we have MVPA, we are ready to go... and no email or text or communication- not even the recent one saying 2-4 weeks... nothing... not even a HI or a name who will be our delivery person... just radio silence while we stare at the VIN.

So stir that into the crazy soup of Tesla delivery... :)
If it's any consolation, the Tesla delivery advisors are backed up. I spoke with mine last week and she said it'll probably take a few weeks for them to get through the backlog due to the rush to get cars shipped out since most states are now allowing deliveries, in addition to the new vehicles coming out of the factory.

Hmmm....
I just got what I think is a logical explanation from a Senior Adviser at the Inside Sales Team.
I won't put their name since I did not ask for permission to quote them.

To make a long story longer...take this anyway you like, I'm just telling you what was told to me.

The newer orders that are getting filled are cars that are "reworked/refixed/previously rejected" or from pre-existing inventory etc.
If you are a Day 0 (or an early orderee - I didn't ask what the cutoff date was), your car is being freshly 'built/constructed/assembled' "now" - as we speak.

Again, I'm just passing along what I was told.

edit:
He also said, these new build should be perfect, with none of the previous build quality issues....We shall see!
ETA for these cars is 2 weeks (could be earlier, depending on location.)

One can only hope! Mine was ordered 10/29/19 MSM/LR AWD/Blk/20"

ok I just put in a backup order, but upgraded to performance. Original order (2019) white/white/20/awd/tow hitch added. New order msm/white/19/performance/no tow hitch. I didn't reapply for financing but I checked that I would secure it personally (have tesla financing thru chase for original). We'll see what happens. The hardest part is going to be figuring out which one I really want, when they call me that one is ready!!

I am going to test this theory and take one for the team. I ordered the exact same config. White/White PUP no FSD. Once orded Feb 27th (which I was supposed to take delivery of by the end of march per a Tesla phone call, but crickets since then.

The other placed today. Same Config

Reactions: jimmym1981
With financing thru Tesla, I would think if they went thru the credit check and secured financing, you would be within 60 days of delivery? Just knowing that credit offers expire. I've done it all except the Insurance (can't without VIN). But no contact at all since securing financing.

With financing thru Tesla, I would think if they went thru the credit check and secured financing, you would be within 60 days of delivery? Just knowing that credit offers expire. I've done it all except the Insurance (can't without VIN). But no contact at all since securing financing.

Don't think that. Tesla does not care if your loan expires and they need to run another check. I accepted my loan offer back in March. It expired in May. They ran a new one.

Was it a hard or soft pull for the second one?

This happened to me too... so personally I didn't have them renew my Tesla via Wells Fargo loan because I got a much better rate with Bank of America. Also Tesla also didn't ask me to fix it- I just saw my VIN and took care of things... as I've said in a few other threads- it would be nice if I got any communication from Tesla since last March- any at all (even any replies to my emails would be nice); I have my VIN and MVPA and all paid up and hoping someone at Tesla cares to say anything to me- not even an automated text like everyone else :(

It's possible that a high percentage of reservations and old orders are customers requesting it be delayed due to the current situation. Anyone ordering now is doing so in spite of what is going on and is more likely to take delivery right away.

I don't think it's right, but if the reps are busy, they could be more interested in making 1-2 phone calls to find their next confirmed order instead of 20 calls.

You're joking right? My loan has been locked in for a long time on Tesla's site. I ordered week 1 and still no car.

No. Wells Fargo only kept the loan open for 30 days, but because of the Covid situation they extended it to 60. That expired on me too before I got a VIN - so it would require a reopening of the loan inquiry (March 11th I got an email asking about financing; and everything was set by March 15; so May 15 I turned into a pumpkin). That why I just figured I might as well move it- AND my largest concern is BoA is only good for 30 days.

That's what is concerning about not hearing anything at all and discovering the VIN and MVPA all by myself. In March Tesla thought I was close enough to get a loan (I guess) yet now that I actually have a VIN and MVPA- not even a peep; makes you wonder if 30 days is still too soon.