Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For Those Who Went From Model 3 to Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a 2018 RWD M3 LR. I switched to a 2020 AWD MY.

I fail to have any issue whatsoever with the power or speed of the MY. In the two years I owned the M3, I never once "floored" it. I rarely pushed down as much as an inch on the pedal. That car felt like it was ready to get airborne at any moment. The MY feels just as fast to me and I've never needed to go faster than whatever that same inch gives me. Don't worry about this in the slightest.

I'll echo what everyone else said about the differences, but I also find every single thing about the MY is a little more refined and better put together. The M3 felt like a prototype and the MY is now the fully realized version of that. The other killer feature for me is the tow hitch. I'm an avid cyclist and being able to bring my bike wherever I want is truly life-changing.

Thanks for the thoughtful and helpful replies. I really appreciate the community that we have on this forum. I have an appointment to call my SA this afternoon to finalize the order. It will be handled through the Decatur store. I'll be duplicating the configuration of my Model 3, LR AWD. White on white and 19's.
Good for you, you'll love it! I sold my M3 only because my wife with MS had trouble getting in and out. The MY solved that. I still have to help her as she uses a wheelchair but it's much easier. And as others have mentioned, the extra room, much quieter interior, and improved visibility (from a higher-ride standpoint) are big plusses. I just completed a 2000 mile-plus trip, as I had done previously in my M3, and it was much more enjoyable from a view and noise perspective. Enjoy! :)

• Love
Reactions: jpfive
I had a 2017 LR RWD Model 3 and I switched for two main reasons

1. Getting in and out is so much easier in the Y. I step out of the Y and I'm already standing up.
2. The hatchback opening is so much larger and makes loading and unloading stuff so much better.

When I got the Y, I noticed these differences

1. The seats were more comfortable and softer
2. The Y felt heavier and a little smoother (but not enough in my opinion).
3. The acceleration was the same or better. I had a RWD 3, which I think j was 5.1 second 0-60.
4. The rear view was smaller, but marginally better since the mirror is higher and can be angled down.

In regards to the ride, I still think that it's too harsh and I will probably be getting the Unplugged Performance coilover package. I'm waiting to read a couple of reviews first, however

My Model 3 was a great car. It was a 2019 LR RWD. It was my first Tesla, and completely changed my commute. I was involved in a head on collision and I am alive because of the safety features in that car.

I was very torn on which car to replace the Model 3 with. On one hand, I didn’t want a new car because I loved the one I had. On the other, we have a 1 year old, and his car seat is a tight fit in the back of the Model 3. In the end, I ordered a Model Y because it seemed like they fixed many of the small issues with the Model 3. In the end , the use of a heat pump in place of the resistive heater tipped the scale.

I’ve had the Model Y for less than a week, it so far, I like it even more. It takes everything I liked about my old car and upgraded it. It is plenty fast for me, is roomy, and looks fantastic.

Both are great cars.

I loved the 3 so much, I was ready to regret buying the Y but it’s the complete opposite. I’m so in love, it’s extremely spacious for me and still drives like a sedan, except I’m higher. The only thing I noticed is that it’s not as fast moving from 0 at the stop light but I heard the acceleration boost takes care of that so i’m about to take the plunge. To be honest, the price difference between the Y and 3 make no sense to me...the Y is too amazing for that lil difference. You should go for a test drive, and try different wheels if you can. The Y was made for me.

I'm picking up my Y this afternoon. I, too, am hoping I won't regret it since the purchase was mostly for my husband. He would not drive the M3 (mostly just stubborn because he's a pickup guy) but also because it was too hard for him to get in/out. As soon as he checked out the Y we placed the order. I just hope he doesn't plan on driving it now because it's MINE! ;)

I own a Model 3 LR AWD. My wife and I love the car, but have some age-related issues with it. We are well into our 70's and are challenged sometimes getting in and out of the 3. Also, since we have bunches of grandkids, we are essentially Sanata's sleigh when we travel to see them. The Model Y seems better in both respects. You step into the car instead of down into it, and there is gobs of room for cramming it full of goodies. We have no problems with comfort in the 3 with regard to ride and noise levels. I expect the Y will be at least as good there.

So, for you that have made this switch, what were your reasons and how happy have you been with the swap?

Thanks.
I own a Model 3 LR AWD. My wife and I love the car, but have some age-related issues with it. We are well into our 70's and are challenged sometimes getting in and out of the 3. Also, since we have bunches of grandkids, we are essentially Sanata's sleigh when we travel to see them. The Model Y seems better in both respects. You step into the car instead of down into it, and there is gobs of room for cramming it full of goodies. We have no problems with comfort in the 3.

I own a 3, x and Y and you are making the switch for all the right reasons. The 3 is by far the most fun Tesla to drive even comparing it to performance models but when it comes to space and ease of entry you should opt for the y or x. The y almost has as much space as the x and it’s probably slightly more comfortable. The only advantage to buying an X in your case would be the automatic door opening feature.

I'm surprised that some people experience lag off the line in the MY. I have instant acceleration with no lag at all on a LR with 19" wheels and do not need the $2000 performance boost. Perhaps there is a difference from car to car or with 20" wheels.

Road noise varies with the quality of the road surface and is annoying on some roads. A luxury car ought to be quieter, particularly one with no engine or exhaust noise. Tesla needs to study cars with less road noise on similar tires to see what other manufacturers are doing to control it. Laminated side glass undoubtedly would help.

Driving a M3 while my MY is in getting a few things done and wow, I miss my MY. So much easier to get in and out, so much more room. My son sat behind me like usual and said it was tight in the M3 whereas he has plenty of room in the MY. I feel I have a better view of the road from the MY as well.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
After ordering a M3 on the announcement day, I took possession of the LR RWD car in July, 2018. I loved the car. As others have said, it is a bit more difficult to get out of, since it is so low. But it also made me realize I could use a Tesla on trips, not just for around town driving. I regretted not getting the AWD so that I could go up to the mountains in winter with snow for skiing.

When our other ICE car reached its retirement age, we got a LR AWD MY and became a two Tesla household. It definitely feels much bigger with much greater carrying capacity. It feels like a big car, even though it is only slightly bigger. It is much easier to get out of. Having a powered trunk door that goes up and down with a button push is great, though I had to lower the maximum height of the door to keep it from hitting our garage door (now I hit my head against it instead). I haven't noticed the difference in acceleration, but that is not something i look for. Both cars have greater acceleration than any other car I've owned in my 40+ years of car ownership.

But the one negative I've had (and I'd like to hear if others have experienced this) is that the range seems significantly less than the M3. I know they are rated at about the same range. But my M3 gets around 85-90% of the target range (perhaps because on freeway trips I drive at 70+ MPH, with AC on), but the MY seems to get 75% of the target range. On a recent trip from San Jose to Paso Robles (some rolling hills, but fairly flat overall), going around 74 MPH, I got 319 Wh/mi. I believe both LR cars have a 75KWh battery, so that would say the MY would have a range of only 235 miles. On an earlier, similar trip with the M3 I know I got much larger range, though don't have the exact figures.

Do others see this difference?

• Helpful
But the one negative I've had (and I'd like to hear if others have experienced this) is that the range seems significantly less than the M3. I know they are rated at about the same range. But my M3 gets around 85-90% of the target range (perhaps because on freeway trips I drive at 70+ MPH, with AC on), but the MY seems to get 75% of the target range. On a recent trip from San Jose to Paso Robles (some rolling hills, but fairly flat overall), going around 74 MPH, I got 319 Wh/mi. I believe both LR cars have a 75KWh battery, so that would say the MY would have a range of only 235 miles. On an earlier, similar trip with the M3 I know I got much larger range, though don't have the exact figures.

I haven’t noticed it. I read that there is a huge difference if you have 20 inch or 21 inch wheels. The mileage for those is much more watts used.

I love my new Y. It has become the main car and the 3 is used occasionally on nice sunny days for sporty driving.

The Y is much easier to get in and out of and it is quieter.

To help you see the size on the outside, this is a X,3 and my Y

Great Photo--thank you! We have a 2018 M3 LR AWD for my wife that we love. It's the "family car" and it just does everything so well.
My personal car is a Porsche Cayman S, and of course, the engine sound is wonderful, and the handling is also of course noticeably superior in feel to the Tesla, but I rarely drive it now because the Tesla is so much more convenient. Ironically, the comments about why people prefer the Y to to the M apply from the Porsche to our M--the M3 has WAY more space inside (I can transport up to 10 ft 2x4's with careful padding and positioning) and very comfortable for 4 adults with lots of trunk storage, it'[s easier to get in and out, it's super fast, and handles very well (if not with quite the same sure-footedness as the legendary Porsche suspension)

What's fascinating in the picture (and SO helpful!) is to see how relatively small the M3 is to the Y--the Y looks like a monster in comparison!

What is missing for us in the Tesla line up is a "real" SUV--that is, Sports Utility Vehicle. Neither the X or Y NOR THE CYBERTRUCK!!!!! can handle 8 foot long surfboards/windsurf boards inside. So we have to use the good old Chrysler Town n Country/Caravan/Pacifica to handle our actual sports gear (if we don't want to get another Suburban or Ford Expedition which actually have LESS internal storage capacity than our Pacifica.

We are hoping that Elon will either come up with a version of the cybertruck that allows the rear seat area to convert to contiguous with the truck bed and a cool camper top for the back, or to make a cargo/passeneger van configuration. I'm sure the latter would be quite luxurious (as the Pacifica is in the higher trims), be a towing powerhouse, and have tons of room and adequate length for boards (as well as, for example, 8x4 sheets of plywood.)

So neat that we have as many choices as we do already, and hoping they come out with more stuff while I'm still young enough to enjoy it!

After ordering a M3 on the announcement day, I took possession of the LR RWD car in July, 2018. I loved the car. As others have said, it is a bit more difficult to get out of, since it is so low. But it also made me realize I could use a Tesla on trips, not just for around town driving. I regretted not getting the AWD so that I could go up to the mountains in winter with snow for skiing.

When our other ICE car reached its retirement age, we got a LR AWD MY and became a two Tesla household. It definitely feels much bigger with much greater carrying capacity. It feels like a big car, even though it is only slightly bigger. It is much easier to get out of. Having a powered trunk door that goes up and down with a button push is great, though I had to lower the maximum height of the door to keep it from hitting our garage door (now I hit my head against it instead). I haven't noticed the difference in acceleration, but that is not something i look for. Both cars have greater acceleration than any other car I've owned in my 40+ years of car ownership.

Yes I do and that is to be expected since the Y is heavier and is less aerodynamic. (7" higher). My LR RWD Model 3 averaged around 225/Wh/mi in the summer and almost 300 Wh/mi in cold weather. So far my Model Y is averaging 257 Wh/mi. As you can see I don't drive hard. I drive fairly fast but avoid hard acceleration. I will be very interested to see how the heat pump in the MY affects range.

• Informative
To help you see the size on the outside, this is a X,3 and my Y

Hokey Smokes, Bullwinkle! I had no idea the Y was so much bigger! I was jonesing for a Y, but I understand that the window trim and door handles are black (no longer chrome), and as it is a "hatchback", the security of the trunk is more like that of a station wagon, i.e., anything in the trunk is visible through the windows.
I'm still tempted, but the factory chrome delete is really a deal breaker for me. I love just about everything about my 3, except the road / tire noise with the 18s, and I let my wide talk me out of the white interior and my bank talk me out of the bigger battery.
Thanks for the picture, it really shows the difference.
And I will gladly entertain any correction if I am in error.

I switched from M3 (Totalled in accident) to MY Performance edition. I love it so much that I want to drive it every day even without reason. Every morning I go to my garage just to adore it for a few minutes. I looked at VW ID.4 and Mustang Mach E and even Audi E Tron sports back and Jaguar I Pace. In all totality of visual appearance, functionality MY still is my favorite. After so many years Tesla body design does not look dated to me at all.

I sold my 2700 mile Model 3 because it sat too low for this 74 year old. Tesla dealer offered me $31,000. I was buying a Model Y from him at $60,000 including tax and license. I paid $35,000 not including tax and license. I thought the Tesla dealer offer too low. I then took it to CarMax and they offered $36,000. I still lost tax and license cost, but I got the much better Model Y.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
It sounds like jpfive already decided to make the switch, but for what it's worth, here's another vote in favor.

We had a Model 3 for about a year and a half, then traded it out in July for a Model Y. All around my wife and I are happy with the change.

The good stuff:
- Higher viewing position (my wife likes being higher up when driving)
- Easier in/out
- Motorized tailgate (this is probably my wife's favorite thing; we considered an aftermarket upgrade but it was easier to buy a new car ;-)
- Tow hitch (another biggie, being able to carry our bikes, tow our kayaks, tow the utility trailer, etc.)
- More room for passengers in the second row
- Tons more space

The not-any-better stuff:
- Visibility out the rear is less than the Model 3, but not a problem
- Ride is surprisingly firm (but not any more than the Model 3)
- Not as agile and not quite as fun to drive as the Model 3 (but still blows away almost anything else on the road)
- Still not as much massive amount of space as our Honda Odyssey (which can hold an entire 4x8 sheet of plywood in the back)