Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For those with Bluetooth connections, remember to lock your car after using credit card key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm one of the many people having problems with waking up or unlocking their M3. Lately it has gotten worse and I'm finding myself needing sometimes to reboot my phone or pull out my credit card key to unlock the door or send a cell phone request to unlock my M3. Most of the time my phone will eventually Bluetooth connect after I drive off after using the credit card key to drive the car.

Apparently my android cell phone never Bluetooth connected after driving 20 minutes today. I parked and exited my car thinking the car would auto-lock after arriving at the gym.

When I returned later, the car was still unlocked and parking lights still on. Since I used the credit card key and my Bluetooth never connected, I guessing the car needs to be locked by swiping the credit card key from the outside door pillar.

Tesla M3 web page ... "You can lock your Model 3 without taking your phone out of your pocket by turning on the “Walk Away Lock” feature. On the touchscreen, just select “Settings” then go to “Locks” to turn it on. " -

Tesla credit card key has graphics designs showing only to unlock the door ... Nothing about needing to use the credit card to lock the car when you exit.

So if your having problems like me with the Bluetooth and use the credit card key, remember to make sure your car is locked after leaving.

Stats (iOS app) has a “Should lock car if unlocked and unoccupied” and a “Enable car unlock notification”. If haven’t tested it with your specific flow but it seems like it should work if you forget to manually lock it.

That's correct. If you unlock with the card key, you must lock with the card key

I don't think this is correct.

Walk away lock doesn't appear to care HOW it was UNlocked.

If it detects a phone key, and then detects it moved out of range (with car parked and doors closed) it locks the car.

OPs issue appears to be his car never saw the phone- so never saw it "walk away" to cause it to lock.

I don't think this is correct.

Walk away lock doesn't appear to care HOW it was UNlocked.

If it detects a phone key, and then detects it moved out of range (with car parked and doors closed) it locks the car.

OPs issue appears to be his car never saw the phone- so never saw it "walk away" to cause it to lock.

I’ve never had a problem with it. I can unlock with one and lock with the other. Walk away lock works fine every time with iPhone. I use it all the time

Same here...iPhone X and works every time.
Same here. I phone 11 and before that XS... it works so well, I had forgotten that I took my card out of my wallet - and it was out for a month or so before I realized it when I went to show someone the card
Was just pointing out walk away lock doesn't appear to care how you UNlocked the car as had been suggested.
Hm... it appears I was incorrect. It does indeed walk-away lock even if you unlock with the card (assuming you have your phone on you and it’s paired as a key). I only ever used the card to unlock a couple of times... guess i forgot how it worked :p

agreed with the others.

think about the use-case. do you even *care* how the car was unlocked? you want it LOCKED when you leave. if you use the card, the car should lock. if you have BT active in the phone and it 'shook hands' with the car when you were inside, when you walk away the car should lock. period.

anything else does not make sense to me.

agreed with the others.

think about the use-case. do you even *care* how the car was unlocked? you want it LOCKED when you leave. if you use the card, the car should lock. if you have BT active in the phone and it 'shook hands' with the car when you were inside, when you walk away the car should lock. period.

anything else does not make sense to me.

"If" you have a phone set as a key. I'll have to test it. It use to be that if you only had a key card, If you unlocked with the key card, you would have to lock with the key card because it would not automatically lock if you walked away.

From the Manual (v 10/30/19), found it in two places.

Note: Walk-Away Door Lock operates only when using an authenticated phone or paired key fob. When you walk away from Model 3 carrying a key card or unpaired key fob accessory, Model 3 does not automatically unlock/lock, even if this feature is turned on (see Walk-Away Door Lock on page 13).

Last edited:
When leaving your car, check to see if your window has gone back up (door is closed) and look over at the center screen (will be black if doors closed, otherwise your car will be displayed with a door open). Car won't lock if a door is open. Honk also won't happen if set to Honk on Lock with a door open.

From the Manual (v 10/30/19), found it in two places.

Note: Walk-Away Door Lock operates only when using an authenticated phone or paired key fob. When you walk away from Model 3 carrying a key card or unpaired key fob accessory, Model 3 does not automatically unlock/lock, even if this feature is turned on (see Walk-Away Door Lock on page 13).

well, YEAH, think about it.

the card is nfc (near field). its not always radiating and it only works when its a few inches away from the coil (pillar).

nfc cards are NEVER 'walk-up unlock' and unlock. you have to press it against the pillar