Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford Focus EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ford Focus EV @2012 CES

I'm leaving for CES for start of Media events (Sunday & Monday), the Exhibit & Conference Sessions are from Tue-Fri

Just got this in from CES press-release:

See why following the leader means following Ford,
when you visit the Ford display at the 2012 CES.

It's all here.
From the totally new 2013 Fusion - the Official Car of CES - to the 2012 Focus Electric* and a wide array of smart features, Ford will showcase new technologies bound to set the pace for the automotive industry.

Electrics and more.
All-electric, plug-in and hybrid Ford vehicles will all be on display. So will MyFord[SUP]®[/SUP] Mobile, the award-winning app that helps Ford Electric Vehicle drivers maximize their gasoline-free driving.

Stay Connected with SYNC[SUP]®[/SUP] with MyFord Touch[SUP]®[/SUP].
You'll see and experience the faster, simpler, better SYNC[SUP]®[/SUP] with MyFord Touch system. And check out SYNC AppLink[SUP]TM[/SUP]** - the game-changing technology that lets you use your voice to control mobile apps like Pandora[SUP]®[/SUP]internet radio.[SUP]®[/SUP] iHeartRadio, Stitcher Smart Radio,[SUP]TM[/SUP] Slacker[SUP]®[/SUP] Radio, and more to be announced at the show.

Views from the top.
On Wednesday, Ford CEO Alan Mulally will be among top executives gathered for an informative Innovation Power Panel discussion about integrating your digital life and your vehicle.

Experience all the latest tech developments and more at the 2012 CES.

CESweb.org

Ford's CEO Mulally will be giving keynote speech, he also talked at 2010 CES:

2010 CES Jan 7 - a set on Flickr

Ford is definitely doing some good things, they announced a Pandora partnership at 2010 CES. I was at the Media event for Monster Cable (CEO talking), & found myself standing next to the Pandora founder! (we exchanged business cards)

I had met Martin Eberhard for the 1st time in 27 yrs at 2009 LA Auto Show (just prior to 2010 CES on Dec/2009)

2009 LA Auto Show: M. Eberhard @Chevrolet Booth [ '09 LA Auto Show, 12/2 ]

& also got a ride in the Ford Focus EV (prototype) there, will upload the video soon (interview of driver while on demo ride).

The integration of electronics (Bluetooth, Wireless, etc) into modern cars, not just Drivetrain "drive by wire" (e.g. PEM/Power Electronics Module in Tesla Roadster), is an interesting component of what I call "Smart Cars". Not just Alternative Transportation (electric, hydrogen, clean diesel, etc), but Immersive Technology. The latter is a field in Computer Science.

1.gif

Last edited:
The few reviews I have read on it are positive, but underwhelmed. The price point is higher than the leaf, for a vehicle with essentially the same capabilities. If it was 5K cheaper, or has 20-30 miles additional range, it would be a fairly compelling vehicle.

Agh horrible! I'd been thinking the focus EV could be extremely popular if it was priced right, but with that dropped in the boot, I doubt it. Astonishing how much of a packaging difference there seems to be between purpose-built EVs and those built on existing platforms.

That's quite consistent, isn't it?

It reminds us how much of the design of the average ICE is determined by... the ICE. Watching carmakers do these electric conversions is a bit like watching someone trying to shoehorn an electric locomotive into a steam locomotive chassis; it's just not a wise thing to do.

That's quite consistent, isn't it?

It reminds us how much of the design of the average ICE is determined by... the ICE. Watching carmakers do these electric conversions is a bit like watching someone trying to shoehorn an electric locomotive into a steam locomotive chassis; it's just not a wise thing to do.

Exactly entirely too much room under the hood for an electric motor. And they just waste it. I was so disappointed when I looked under the hood of a Leaf. A fake valve cover for their inverter. And it was cast iron too! Oh the shame. And no room in the trunk because there is a battery there. Does the Focus EV come with a spare tire? Probably not.

Does the Focus EV come with a spare tire? Probably not.

Focus EV doesn't even come with a trunc ;-)

BTW, according to couple of people who have ordered an FFE - they were told the deliveries have been pushed out to summer (in one case) and fall (in another).

So, inspite of so called deliveries in December - and videos FFE being made on the assembly line, Ford is a few months away from actually producing them. That is the reason we don't hear much about it - nor have they allowed anyone to ride in one, let alone drive.

Last edited:
Focus EV doesn't even come with a trunc ;-)

BTW, according to couple of people who have ordered an FFE - they were told the deliveries have been pushed out to summer (in one case) and fall (in another).

So, inspite of so called deliveries in December - and videos FFE being made on the assembly line, Ford is a few months away from actually producing them. That is the reason we don't hear much about it - nor have they allowed anyone to ride in one, let alone drive.

Reminds me of the karma around April of last year. Puffing smoke in the air.

I'm wondering how the LEAF, with its wacky super-aerodynamic but not-too-pretty face is beaten for MPGe by... a Focus.

The Focus actually is fairly aerodynamic: 0.295 cd. It also has active shutters to close off the grille at highway speeds. The Leaf's cd is 0.29. It's good but not "super-aerodynamic" (plenty of other hatches also have the same cd).