Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford Focus EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
However Nissan Measured it they are playing games IMHO. High roof, must account for the "extra" room

edit* The ICE version of Ford Focus is 23 cu ft (for the hatch back) vs 14 cu ft in the Nissan Leaf so I have no idea where you got those made up numbers from!
I'm using EPA volume.

Anyway, unless things have changed from prototype days, battery eats up half the cargo space in FFE. We have to wait for EPA cargo volume number.

Last edited:
I'm using EPA volume.

Anyway, unless things have changed from prototype days, battery eats up half the cargo space in FFE. We have to wait for EPA cargo volume number.

Sources on that?

Anyway, if the battery takes up about half the FFE's cargo space (it looks to be about 9 cu ft used for the battery), it will have about the same cargo are cu ft as the LEAF. Sorry to disappoint you.

Sources on that?

Anyway, if the battery takes up about half the FFE's cargo space (it looks to be about 9 cu ft used for the battery), it will have about the same cargo are cu ft as the LEAF. Sorry to disappoint you.

Disappoint me ? Why would I be disappointed if FFE has good cargo space. Last thing I want is no competition for Leaf.

See Ford Focus EV

Last edited:
However Nissan Measured it they are playing games IMHO. High roof, must account for the "extra" room

edit* The ICE version of Ford Focus is 23 cu ft (for the hatch back) vs 14 cu ft in the Nissan Leaf so I have no idea where you got those made up numbers from!

I think he got the numbers from the government fuel economy website. Don't know where the 18 cu ft number is from though (maybe he saw 13 as 18).

Focus luggage volume: 13 cu ft (4-door), 23 cu ft (hatchback)
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=31183
(click the specs tab in the above link)

Leaf luggage volume: 23 cu ft
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/32154.shtml

Last edited:
I attended last years NY Auto Show on Press Day and was able to sit in both the LEAF & FFE and really check them out for about an hour without being interrupted as I got there just as the doors opened. Even the reps weren't there! The one thing I came away with as for as space and cargo was the LEAF seemed to be much more roomy and would appear to have much more cargo space. Then sometime later I read the specs and they didn't really concur with what I observed. The FFE was way more sportier and had a nicer interior IMO, but the LEAF felt open and airy while I felt a bit cramped in the FFE. For what it's worth...

I attended last years NY Auto Show on Press Day and was able to sit in both the LEAF & FFE and really check them out for about an hour without being interrupted as I got there just as the doors opened. Even the reps weren't there! The one thing I came away with as for as space and cargo was the LEAF seemed to be much more roomy and would appear to have much more cargo space. Then sometime later I read the specs and they didn't really concur with what I observed. The FFE was way more sportier and had a nicer interior IMO, but the LEAF felt open and airy while I felt a bit cramped in the FFE. For what it's worth...

SHHH you are giving away secrets. I went too, and got to sit in the FFE. Got test driven in the LEAF, Volt and iMiev downstairs. Since then I have test driven the Volt and the LEAF I concur with the interior assessment. The Leaf has far larger windows and high roof line making it feel roomier than it really is (The Leaf's rear seat does have more knee room). The front in both are the same, but that's to the way the dash in the LEAF is, it gives the appearance of being larger. '

Focus luggage volume: 13 cu ft (4-door), 23 cu ft (hatchback)
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find....n=sbs&id=31183
(click the specs tab in the above link)

Leaf luggage volume: 23 cu ft
Fuel Economy of the 2012 Nissan Leaf

I am heavily under the belief that Nissan supplied false information to the EPA and then corrected it on their website.

a)when has Nissan used conservative numbers in concerns to the LEAF? even After the EPA tested the LEAF and gave it a 75 mile rating (like most people will drive it) Nissan still trumps 100 mile range on a test cycle that has an average speed of 20 mph.

b)If that information that the epa is accurate why isn't nissan using it? Ford's numbers are right in line with the EPA.

So this is the same size as this?
IMG_6539.jpg

Unless ~3 inches in height accounts for 10 cu ft with a cargo area that gets thinner at the top.

Attachments

• Focus-SE-cargo.jpg
    Focus-SE-cargo.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 1,084
I think the 23 number for the Leaf is probably closer to the number with the rear seats folded (24 cubic feet according to many sources).

Here's a link comparing cargo volumes of various plug-ins (but again the numbers for the Focus is missing):
http://www.greencarreports.com/news...ce-2012-nissan-leaf-2012-toyota-plug-in-prius

The FFE cargo space might be a little trickier to officially state. It's sectioned because of the battery. I would guess at about 10-11 cu ft of space behind the battery and another 3-4 cu ft above the battery. So numbers wise it has z amount but it really has x+y amount, like the model s trunk and frunk except that the two spaces are connected (off set though). For luggage that's fine, but rigid solid objects that require the whole z amount won't fit. So the EPA might be having trouble putting out a measurement that accurately indicates what the useable space is.

I think the 23 number for the Leaf is probably closer to the number with the rear seats folded (24 cubic feet according to many sources).
No. EPA has a particular way of calculating - and it is std across all vehicles. That is why I use EPA volume for comparison. Apparently, Audi has similar differences to - I'm sure ljbad4life thinks they are fruads too.

http://answers.edmunds.com/question-Do-you-know-how-Audi-calculates-the-behind-the-seats-cargo-volume-of-its-wagons-35660.aspx

My guess is Leaf uses the volume below the cargo cover - and EPA uses the entire space behind the rear seats. The EPA cargo (and passenger) volumes are quite critical as they impact the size of the car (compact, mid-size etc) which IIRC also affects CAFE numbers.

ev-specs.png

Last edited:
Here are the new photos someone posted (actually tried to post !) in MNL.

Focus EV Cargo Area | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Beh, looks like the hump is still there. As for the number discrepancies between the EPA and Nissan for the Leaf, has anyone ever taken a tape measure and measured the dimensions of the Leaf's rear cargo space (I'm sure someone has to have done so already).

No. EPA has a particular way of calculating - and it is std across all vehicles. That is why I use EPA volume for comparison. Apparently, Audi has similar differences to - I'm sure ljbad4life thinks they are fruads too

Any company that knowingly provides false or misleading information are frauds (which is the definition of fraud) the same as a poster that cites non existent number, both are frauds.

As I have stated before, Nissan has never been conservative when it comes to the LEAF, Nissan uses the best highest numbers for EV range when no other EV manufacturer uses the LA4 test cycle but NEVs. why start being conservative on cargo room? False information that was provided to the EPA then redacted because it's easily provable that Nissan falsified (maybe they gave them prototype or pre-production specs) that information. Nissan can stand by the 100 mile range on the bs tagline on it's all "how you drive it", but you can't bs the amount of cargo space it actually has. The EPA rarely tests/measures the cars. The EPA gives the Car manufacturer the criteria and the car co submits the numbers. Or it could be as simple as putting the numbers in the wrong place when submitting the form. Just got off the chat (for the leaf) with Nissan and it was stated that 23 cu ft is with the seats DOWN

Hey, that's not fair - you compared the EV LEAF to the ICE version of the Focus.
The Focus EV has 'compromised' trunk space like this:

I know that and have stated that many times before.
The FFE cargo space might be a little trickier to officially state. It's sectioned because of the battery. I would guess at about 10-11 cu ft of space behind the battery and another 3-4 cu ft above the battery. So numbers wise it has z amount but it really has x+y amount, like the model s trunk and frunk except that the two spaces are connected (off set though). For luggage that's fine, but rigid solid objects that require the whole z amount won't fit. So the EPA might be having trouble putting out a measurement that accurately indicates what the useable space is.

What's not far is to clearly see that one trunk (on the ICE Ford Focus) is CLEARLY large than another and then try to say that a) is 10 cu ft smaller b)try to reword it so that they are the same size

Last edited:
Ford Defends Slow Rollout of Focus Electric | PluginCars.com

"We are on track with the Focus Electric launch," said Wesley Sherwood, a Ford spokesman, in an interview with AutoBlogGreen. "We began by selling a small number of vehicles to a few fleet customers. We are now ramping up retail production to begin selling vehicles to retail customers in New York, New Jersey and California in the first half of this year. We then will expand sales to 16 other markets later this year."

With the Focus Electric available only in its initial three launch markets through most of this year, and mostly to select fleet customers, the speed of Ford's ramp-up will be limited, compared to competitors. "We continue to expect sales of all-electric to be small even when we ramp up retail production," Sherwood told AutoBlog Green. "This is new technology, and it takes time to take hold." That's clear. The remaining question: How small is small?

The Electric-Car Movement Enters A Quiet, Crucial Phase

Ford used part of its $5.9-billion loan to develop a system for building gas cars, hybrids, plug-ins and electric cars all on the same line. In a renovated Detroit-area factory, it will build gas and electric versions of the Focus compact car, along with hybrid and plug-in hybrid C-Max minivans. The company will use the same strategy for the Fusion.

Compared with the ambitious e-car launches of recent years—particularly those of the Chevy Volt and the Nissan Leaf—Ford’s approach might appear noncommittal. But it could turn out to be transformative. It’s evidence that once the investments have been made, manufacturing electric cars isn’t all that hard. It’s a matter of adding a few assembly-line stations where plug-in cars get their batteries, electric motors and electronic controls. And when Ford and other automakers use the same lithium-ion batteries across a range of electrified vehicles, it will help reduce the cost of those batteries, pushing electric-vehicle sticker prices down and ultimately in line with conventional gas cars.

Larry