Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford Focus EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Put a few hundred miles on the gas version of this last weekend. (It had 55 miles on the odometer when I picked it up) The electric should be an improvement since it won't have the (horrid) auto transmission. It was better than many econoboxes but nothing to write home about. I had it on HWY 17 between Los Gatos and Santa Cruz and found it to be a little less than spectacular on the twisties for sure. Amazing road to drive on though.

...I had it on HWY 17 between Los Gatos and Santa Cruz and found it to be a little less than spectacular on the twisties for sure. Amazing road to drive on though...
Unfortunately on weekdays there are a lot of commuters on that road.
And on weekends it can be packed with beach going tourists.
I know of some Roadster owners that commute over that hill. If you are stuck doing it every day, a Roadster isn't a bad way to go.

That's a shame because the mark 1 Focus was a real driver's car with great handling.

There were many variants we never got in the USA.
Ford Europe and Ford USA used to be much more autonomous.
Were you talking about something like this?:
euro-spec-2009-ford-focus-rs_100190152_m.jpg

US plans to receive Ford Focus RS Canceled

I think Ford sold the most "hotted up" versions in Europe only, and left Subaru (and to some degree Audi) to own the "pseudo-rally car" market in the USA.

That's a shame because the mark 1 Focus was a real driver's car with great handling.

I think a good set of tires would have improved handling quite a bit. They definitely seemed the weakest link in the turns. Of course there's not much you can do about it being front-wheel drive, sadly.

Unfortunately on weekdays there are a lot of commuters on that road.
And on weekends it can be packed with beach going tourists.
I know of some Roadster owners that commute over that hill. If you are stuck doing it every day, a Roadster isn't a bad way to go.

I hit it on Saturday morning and there was moderate traffic. I was told that one should hit it early on weekends to avoid beach traffic.

I hit it on Saturday morning and there was moderate traffic. I was told that one should hit it early on weekends to avoid beach traffic.

If you are back in the bay area sometime try some of the smaller highways in the area like 9/35/84. They are more scenic than 17. Less traffic and slower speeds.

Page Mill to Alpine to Pescadero Creek Road is a wonderful way to get to the coast and back in a Roadster. On weekends especially, be sure to watch for bicyclists!

I won use of a Roadster for a day in a contest, and did that exact drive... Then up to Half Moon bay on 1, up 92, along Skyline (35) to Alice's and back down 84 to the valley.

Here is a message posted on Focus EV forum. Don't know how authentic it is.

Ford Focus Electric Forum Focus availability

For the first few months of production, we will be concentrating on California and New York. Our dealers in those areas will be the first to have their retail orders scheduled and receive the Focus Electric. We will be rolling out to the remainder of our initial markets starting in Spring 2012, including Raleigh/Durham.

Does that help?

David Finnegan
Electrified Vehicles Marketing Manager, Ford Motor Company

No wonder Ford has been rather tight lipped about Focus EV. But their flyers to people in NC says "Coming Spring 2012", even though the area is in a launch state.

scaled.php

Ford Focus Electric Forum Focus availability
Ford has apparently responded to these comments (according to the Wall Street Journal).

http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/2011/08/09/ford-focus-electric-delayed-or-on-schedule/

A spokesman for Ford has said that the release is on schedule, with the initial Ford Focus Electrics being sent to the California and New York markets, with the ramp up to other areas starting in 2012.

Quote:
"It was never our plan to have 100,000 cars on the market in December," he says, adding that rolling out a new car "isn’t like introducing a new iPad."

Agh horrible! I'd been thinking the focus EV could be extremely popular if it was priced right, but with that dropped in the boot, I doubt it. Astonishing how much of a packaging difference there seems to be between purpose-built EVs and those built on existing platforms.