Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford Seeking to Trademark the "Model E" name for themselves

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
brianman posted the below item back in August. It looks official but I don't know anything about patents.

attachment.php

I know everybody loves to give "brianman" all the credit but it was actually brianstorms who posted back in August. :)

As for "looks official", Tesla officially filed an application. It gets "published" on 12/31, which is when, I believe, opposing parties can and probably will swoop in to complain, fight, and generally try to quash Tesla's application. It could be months before USPTO decides yea or nay on its moving forward to registered status -- depending upon if someone presents a compelling-enough case for confusion in the marketplace, verified prior use in the marketplace, etc.

A big OOPS, sorry to the brian's for the mix-up.

It would appear that Ford is trying to steal the "Model E" (E for Electric?) name out from under Tesla. I guess they never trademarked the name.

Ford Trademarks Model E Name

Umm, since Ford was the originator of the unimaginatively named "Model A", "Model B", ... "Model T" etc. then this isn't anything new for them. What I've always wondered is, with all the design geniuses at Tesla, how come they couldn't come up with better names than "Roadster" or "Model S"?

Umm, since Ford was the originator of the unimaginatively named "Model A", "Model B", ... "Model T" etc. then this isn't anything new for them. What I've always wondered is, with all the design geniuses at Tesla, how come they couldn't come up with better names than "Roadster" or "Model S"?

Well, roadster naming was under different management, however as for Model S, I always felt that it was a play on Model T and the reinvention of the automobile (Sedan) as we know it. In addition, like songs, all of the good automobile names are taken and more complicated alphanumeric designations are less well recognized (look at all of the variations that BMW and MB went through over the years). I feel that the current naming system is elegantly simple...

Model S = Sedan, full-size
Model E = Efficiency (Elon?) sedan
Model X = Crossover, luxury

And the possibilities are endless from there (although there are other posts on it, I find this speculation amusing):
Model Y = Crossover, medium-sized (e.g. BMW X3)
Model R = Next generation roadster
Model F = Full-size truck
Model P = Smaller "pickup" truck
Model C = Compact (e.g. BMW 1 series)
Model M = Minivan
Model V = Transport vehicle/van (e.g. Freightliner Sprinter)

OK, so I am not a US trademark law expert, but here is my 2 cents.

1, According to Wikipedia, Ford never had a "Model E", so I am pretty sure they do not have an existing trademark.
2, But even if they had, or were claiming one based on a lineup of cars with a similar naming scheme, most of their "alphabet models" went out of production before 1910, except for a few that were produced until the 1930s, so there hasn't been a ford "alphabet" lineup for about 80 years.
3, Which brings me to Tesla currently having trademarks and cars in production (or soon to be produced) for S and X and
4, as many have pointed out they submitted a request for E in August, months before Ford.

Oh, and by the way, they did have a Model S from 1907-09, yet Tesla got "Model S" registered just fine.

Well, roadster naming was under different management, however as for Model S, I always felt that it was a play on Model T and the reinvention of the automobile (Sedan) as we know it. In addition, like songs, all of the good automobile names are taken and more complicated alphanumeric designations are less well recognized (look at all of the variations that BMW and MB went through over the years). I feel that the current naming system is elegantly simple...

And the possibilities are endless from there (although there are other posts on it, I find this speculation amusing):
Model M = Minivan

I've always thought Model E was fitting for Gen3 because I think of it as being E for "Everyone."

Model M = Minivan

S and E also map pretty well on Mercedes' equivalent vehicles.

I'm a lawyer, but not one involved in Trademark litigation and my last foray into this area wa in law school. That said, trademarks have two basic functions, 1) to aid the consumer in differentiating between products in the market place and, 2) to protect the producer's investment in building recognition and good will. As you can see the these are interconnected ideas and revolve around the current market... Hell, one can lose a trademark if it becomes to generic to serve as a differentiator.

Basically since Ford hasn't sold the 'Model ...' cars in a long time and Tesla sells the Model S, will begin delivers of Model X late 2014, and has already announced Model E as their next product I'm not sure what Ford's argument is other than that they used to sell cars with the term 'Model' in the name and they don't like that Tesla is using that same term to make people think it's another revolutionary product.