Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forgot to connect the charger!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still forget to plug in from time to time, even after driving a Tesla since 2009. It usually happens when I get distracted from my routine by something, and I always feel chagrined when I realize the next morning what I've done. But, now that I'm retired, the mistake doesn't usually inconvenience me at all, since the remaining range is likely to be at least 3x what I need on a given day.

Reactions: markn455
I like the Leaf option to notify after a period of time when the car is home. That should be easy to add, since the Homelink option is activated when the car gets close to home so the code for that function is present. That and a warning at a specific time would take care of just about any situation that I can think of.

"You can set your notifications in the tesla app to send you a notification when the car starts charging and then when it's completed (make them audible) " If it can do this, why can't it send you a notification if, as MitchSF asked, as well? Surely it's just a few extra lines of code? I have also managed to forget to plug in - more than once, in fact - but I've been EVing for 5 years or so now, not in a Tesla tho! MW

The Tesla App notifications are great. However, I have to silence the noise it makes when the charging completes since that is around 3:30-4:00 in the morning ! ( I have my iphone on my bedside table.).

30A is just the breaker it needs.

Take a look at the technical specs - not just the landing page. It's a 3.3kW charger. Compare that to a Tesla 40A UMC, which is 7.6kW.

I agree it will work for some people, but it's difficult selling a product if you can't keep the general "it charges overnight" promise. I'm pretty sure Plugless would have approached Tesla by now, and equally sure Tesla sent them away because they don't want to have a model that will only work for some users of the car.

Wow, kinda think that is misleading advertising. Thanks for pointing it out!

Definitely a no-go on that basis since would need to have UMC or HWPC around.

Does it matter? Do you drive more than 130 miles every day?

We do. (Well, my wife does.) Not actually more than 130 miles, but more than 130 range miles. And we charge to 90%, so even if it was more than 115 range miles if we forgot to plug in, she couldn't take the car. And realistically, it would be a shorter drive than that I expect, for a lot of people, since no one like to cut things too close.

Luckily we have not forgotten to plug in overnight, though there have been a couple of times when I've had to go back out to the garage late at night to rectify the situation. I had been planning on using Visible Tesla to send a reminder if the car wasn't plugged in at a certain hour, but by the time we got our car we couldn't use Visible Tesla. I'm still hoping jpasqua releases his 0.50 version. If he doesn't, I expect there will be some morning my wife takes the ICE to work because we just forgot to charge the Model S. It's bound to happen.

Ok. Resurrecting this thread and asking for help.

I am a pro at forgetting to plug in the charger when I get home really late from the airport. Was talking to some friends on Facebook and one of them shared with me this IFTTT recipe.

If the battery charge on my Tesla Model S goes below 25%, turn the lights in my garage red by numerous - IFTTT

Has anyone tried it? Curious if anyone has created another IFTTT that could help me remember to charge. The issue for me is it really cannot be time based but more I have shown up at my house and need some sort of reminder to charge me car!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Ok. Resurrecting this thread and asking for help.

i am a pro at forgetting to plug in the charger when I get home really late from the airport. Was talking to some friends on Facebook and one of them shared with me this IFTTT recipe.

If the battery charge on my Tesla Model S goes below 25%, turn the lights in my garage red by numerous - IFTTT

Has anyone tried it? Curious if anyone has created another IFTTT that could help me remember to charge. The issue for me is it really cannot be time based but more I have shown up at my house and need some sort of reminder to charge me car!

Thanks!

If you can run Visible Tesla on some computer 24 X 7, you could set something up that would be time based. I have a reminder set to send me an email message if the car isn't plugged in any evening at 9:00 PM. I realize you said you didn't want it to be based on time, so this may be of no help at all.

If you can run Visible Tesla on some computer 24 X 7, you could set something up that would be time based. I have a reminder set to send me an email message if the car isn't plugged in any evening at 9:00 PM. I realize you said you didn't want it to be based on time, so this may be of no help at all.

Also I really do not want to leave a CPU plugged in 24/7 for this. But, I appreciate the suggestion!

Are you familiar with the IF formally (IFTTT, if this then that) app? You can cook up your own automatic setting and alerts, maybe there's something for tesla there.

Since IFTTT doesn't support Tesla directly, I set up a channel on Numerous and tried to link it via IF. Problem is, I think Numerous polls the Tesla servers so much that Tesla eventually boots you out. I found after a few hours, Numerous was giving me "can't connect" errors and I was logged out of my iPhone app as well. I disconnected it from Numerous for fear that I might be running afoul of Tesla's policies.

Since IFTTT doesn't support Tesla directly, I set up a channel on Numerous and tried to link it via IF. Problem is, I think Numerous polls the Tesla servers so much that Tesla eventually boots you out. I found after a few hours, Numerous was giving me "can't connect" errors and I was logged out of my iPhone app as well. I disconnected it from Numerous for fear that I might be running afoul of Tesla's policies.

I have been in discussions with Numerous support for days on this. I even bought a Philips Hue bulb to try to run the IFTTT script that numerous made.

FYI. One of the numerous founders is a Tesla driver. Hopefully I will hear back from them soon about the API problem. IF / when I do I will post here.

I just have an alarm on my phone set to go off every other night about 30 minutes before I usually go to bed. I use a unobtrusive sound, and if I've already plugged in, no big deal. It's saved me a few times.

I am on the road quite a bit and lack a normal sleep schedule, location, etc. Perfect world would be something geofenced and time stamped. If I am home or have gotten home and at its after 10pm and the charger is not plugged in send me a message.

I have been in discussions with Numerous support for days on this. I even bought a Philips Hue bulb to try to run the IFTTT script that numerous made.

FYI. One of the numerous founders is a Tesla driver. Hopefully I will hear back from them soon about the API problem. IF / when I do I will post here.

I had a slight configuration issue/question, and their support is really good. They got back to me on my question within minutes.