Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found a LOT of Model 3's in a Tesla lot - Pictures inside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please take this with the humor that it is intended ...

Speculation stretches the mind.....and as we have seen on twitter....has even changed Elon's mind in some cases.

Nothing wrong with it.

I cannot believe that you just said that after all of the posts you had last year asking for facts and for people to stop speculating :D

Please take this with the humor that it is intended ...

I cannot believe that you just said that after all of the posts you had last year asking for facts and for people to stop speculating :D
Really? You must not have gotten my point AT ALL.

I can.....because the important facts are out there.

Now that we have all of the facts....we can speculate on things that aren't important such as this.

I would still strongly discourage speculating on things that are important. For example:
Performance Model 3: Excited or Disappointed?
Speculating that Tesla pulled the $35k price of the Model 3 out of the air...….? Really?

BTW....thanks for reading all of my posts. That's encouraging.

Last edited:
What's up with those over-wrapped S-es? Look ghostly... I don't believe we've seen this level of wrapping before. Is it b/c they don't have crap to do w/ 3 production down, so they wrap what they have multiple times?
First Performance Model 3 to roll off the line? Since they cost $$$$ more, I'm betting they will spend a few more to protect those cars. If it is a Performance Model 3, there might be some other minor changes that need to be hidden as well.

I remember when the Model S refresh happened in early 2016, those cars had protective wrap which prevented most people from noticing a difference had been made to the front of the car.

Reactions: RedOctober
First Performance Model 3 to roll off the line? Since they cost $$$$ more, I'm betting they will spend a few more to protect those cars. If it is a Performance Model 3, there might be some other minor changes that need to be hidden as well.

I remember when the Model S refresh happened in early 2016, those cars had protective wrap which prevented most people from noticing a difference had been made to the front of the car.
Heeeeyyyyy!!!! I like where you are going there.

What if.....just what if...…... the performance model has a front facia that mimics the new Model S and X.

Ohhhhh Boy. This is getting good. LOL.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Who said they were standing around? Training on new equipment or new methods. Streamlining the process. Becoming more efficient at what they do. The line doesn't necessarily have to be running for the employees to use the time effectively.

Dan

In plants in Japan, in addition to training they have them clean and paint the factory during shut downs - or force them to take vacation days.

Oh yeah, it is 3... Did not pay attention to the aero wheels. Regarding the $$$$ I would argue it makes much more sense to wrap Ss and Xs like that, not P3. They MUST be hiding something. But what's the point? Everybody knows the Ps are coming out.

Oh yeah, it is 3... Did not pay attention to the aero wheels. Regarding the $$$$ I would argue it makes much more sense to wrap Ss and Xs like that, not P3. They MUST be hiding something. But what's the point? Everybody knows the Ps are coming out.
They've shipped cars without the correct wheels in the past and then swapped them out at the Service Center when they are delivered. There have also been cases where the wheels weren't in stock so people took delivery and got the correct wheels weeks later.

Yea we could wish it was a Model Y.:rolleyes:
There's several of them... The very last pic shows 4 (b/c other cars show dark windshield and those 4 are white, so I assume those are wrapped as well) plus 1 on the pic #5, so 5 total.
I would think those are 3s, not Ys. If they were Ys, I wouldn't put them on the same lot where they attract attention, I'd load them up at the factory door and move away asap.

But if aero wheels are intended, then these are not Ps, b/c Ps are supposed to have 20" wheels, I assume non-aero.

Edit: just noticed the pic before last to the left of the white truck it shows over-wrapped X.
So, maybe it is a new wrapping standard?

Thinking about it could the covered cars be heading overseas? First round to Europe?
Europe 3s will not start until 2019, so it's definitely not that. Unless those are S-es w/ aero wheels.
2018 will be strictly about U.S. and Canada.

Last edited:
They've shipped cars without the correct wheels in the past and then swapped them out at the Service Center when they are delivered. There have also been cases where the wheels weren't in stock so people took delivery and got the correct wheels weeks later.
This sounds bizarre. Usually if wheels are not in stock, you stay in line and wait until production of the batch with your type of wheels begins. I have not read about cases where they'd deliver you wrong wheels. Swapping wheels at SC seems costly, not sure why they'd want to do it at scale. All that inventory, storage etc.

This sounds bizarre. Usually if wheels are not in stock, you stay in line and wait until production of the batch with your type of wheels begins. I have not read about cases where they'd deliver you wrong wheels. Swapping wheels at SC seems costly, not sure why they'd want to do it at scale. All that inventory, storage etc.
I'm not referring to the 3 but it has happened with the S and X in the past. I've been around TMC years longer than you and have read about them fixing things after delivery more than once.

Personally, there was a problem with my S and they delivered it and swapped out the part two months later.

I'm going to guess it's the Model Y? going out for testing? (hey there has to be a reason it's all wrapped up so tight.)

@augkuo

Are you hopping on Trains now to get us some of these PICs? ;) (the construction is the smaller lot, correct? that would put you in the train rail yard I believe.)

Yes I happened to take BART to work that day so I took some pics from the platform. The north lot can hold about 100 cars, the south lot 300.

Perhaps they were not complete before the shutdown and they’re packed up to go back to line. Mundane but seems more likely then a custom m3.

• Helpful
Reactions: BioSehnsucht
After reading all these posts about the wraps I went back and zoomed in on the photos. That is very strange indeed. This is why these photos are important. I’m going with the Model 3 with a special colour and interior. I was going to say Performance as well but the calipers are not red. I doubt they are swapping those out at the service centres.

I would think those are 3s, not Ys. If they were Ys, I wouldn't put them on the same lot where they attract attention, I'd load them up at the factory door and move away asap.

But if aero wheels are intended, then these are not Ps, b/c Ps are supposed to have 20" wheels, I assume non-aero.

Model Y's are years away from production. I doubt any prototypes have even left the design studio in Hawthorne yet. Also, the Performance Model 3 does have 18" aero's available as one of two available wheel options.

I think people are overanalyzing this and Tesla is just upping their shipping protection to save themselves for potential repair costs down the line.

If it is possible to redesign the parking lot and have electronic white lanes that can be 'drawn' and 'erased' anytime, then you could guide a Tesla to its intended parking spot by simply 'drawing' a line just for that duration. Think of rail yards. And you can park them in very long rows. Two adjacent rows, right close to each other and then a gap for the semi-trailer to go through.

30E72474-0990-4A0E-A854-348FA4F08038.jpeg
586D5ED2-121E-4E7A-8AF5-4519811CFD98.jpeg
AB2D22E9-100E-4FAC-AB0D-78E6D469607E.jpeg
D42618B5-83DC-406C-B6DD-DD3EA5B3DEA5.jpeg
3325F374-67A4-4216-B253-35919CC2DC3D.jpeg
59833D6E-BEB5-43FF-A84B-A3AD6F619232.jpeg
6EBFD26B-9389-42CD-9CB7-22F3AEE51AAC.jpeg
95EF6B82-3958-498D-A259-37F801E75083.jpeg
068530DE-2E76-4D76-9F2D-355B12EF9D27.jpeg
6/4/18 lot is filling back up! 10 car carriers loading.

100 and 300 were the number of cars my source gave me that fit on the lot. Of course if they pack them in tighter they could fit more but then they need room for the car carriers to load. So as long as the car carriers keep coming, they could keep the lot semi-full and not worry about where to put the cars. They also have a lot across the freeway that they could move cars to if there's a car carrier backup/delay.