Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found mystery plug within bumper while installing stealth hitch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed a stealth hitch on my 2019 Tesla 3.
Doing the work I came across an unexpected plug (not found in instruction videos).
Does anyone what this plug is for? Actual electrical for a trailer?

Attachments

• IMG_4035.jpg
    IMG_4035.jpg
    537.6 KB · Views: 251
@regazzoni,

How was the install? Did you do it yourself? I just ordered my SteathHitch today, to install over the Jul 4 long weekend, on my 2018 Model 3 LR. Planning on doing it myself. I had to go through some work-arounds to buy a 2020+ rear diffuser that has the hole already cut out. Tesla wouldn't sell it to me because it didn't come on my year.

Install was not that difficult. I put the car in the rear onto ramps.

However, I did run into some problem areas:
1.) removing the taillights was much more difficult than expected. There are two pins on the lights that gave me some issues. Could not find leverage with a trim tool.
2.) I was unable to unplug the bumper sensor plug. Tried everything, no luck. So, I ended up working on the car with bumper just lowered - which went ok.
3.) Installing the receiver block (two bolts) was difficult. There was just not enough clearance for wrench on rear bolt. I was hitting the trunk wall. I think it would be better to install that block before mounting the hitch frame.
4.) In retrospect I would take pictures of the bumper in advance. It is a Tesla after all. So, I questioned whether all the gaps/alignment fit of bumper are correct after reassembly. Didn't really remember fit prior.

Mine had the hitch opening already.

Took me about 4 hours.

@regazzoni,

How was the install? Did you do it yourself? I just ordered my SteathHitch today, to install over the Jul 4 long weekend, on my 2018 Model 3 LR. Planning on doing it myself. I had to go through some work-arounds to buy a 2020+ rear diffuser that has the hole already cut out. Tesla wouldn't sell it to me because it didn't come on my year.

Be interested to know how it goes for you and if yours has the harness (when in 2018?). What was the workaround method used?

Old post but now find out that grey plug is for the official Tesla power trunk retrofit.
I have the power trunk retrofit kit but unfortunately I don't have this plug on my 2018 M3P.
Any idea what the part number is for that harness? Or could snag the harnesses up so I can connect Power to this power trunk.
1000002081.jpg

Old post but now find out that grey plug is for the official Tesla power trunk retrofit.
I have the power trunk retrofit kit but unfortunately I don't have this plug on my 2018 M3P.
Any idea what the part number is for that harness? Or could snag the harnesses up so I can connect Power to this power trunk.
View attachment 1032039
Someone had an adapter for the bumper mounted trailer lighting Tesla connector for several hundred dollars on the internet auction website. I used a crimp kit to crimp on power and ground and routed them through a rubber grommet on the right side of the car to the inside for the smart trailer lights module. I used a crimp connector which had the same ID as the Tesla trailer hitch connecter pins.