Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Four Upcoming Self Driving Level 3 Cars by 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
gloating about others failure to make you feel better about your own is a pointless endeavor.
Are cookies involved?

If I fail to reach the cookie, and then my buddies also fail to reach the cookie I'm going to be pretty happy. That means the cookie is still up from grabs, and I still have a chance at that.

but, in this case its the very possibility of endless cookies so I'm going to be disappoint that no one achieved it.

Are cookies involved?

If I fail to reach the cookie, and then my buddies also fail to reach the cookie I'm going to be pretty happy. That means the cookie is still up from grabs, and I still have a chance at that.

but, in this case its the very possibility of endless cookies so I'm going to be disappoint that no one achieved it.
If you all fail to reach the cookie one if you is getting ate.

• Disagree
Reactions: Demonofelru
gloating about others failure to make you feel better about your own is a pointless endeavor.
I have a post here somewhere - where I linked to quotes from various industry players - including Google, Nissan etc - saying they will have FSD by xxxx year. In general they have said in 5 years FSD will be ready - but that 5 years never changes. Whether it is 2015 or 2019 they talk about 5 years.

Ofcourse, Musk says it will be ready this year / next year.

Thats the only difference.

ps : The other difference is almost all those CEOs / executives have been fired / imprisoned.

Last edited:
I don't think it's "gloating" to comment on the fact that other companies besides Tesla have attempted L3 and so far have been unable to achieve it. It does make me feel vindicated in my decision to pay for EAP but not FSD. I desperately want FSD, or at least L3 city+highway to become a reality before I get too old to drive. But to date I'm still driving the best driver-assist system available to the consumer, and it does everything I expected of it at the time I bought it. It's not perfect but it's good enough and more, for my needs.

The fact that other companies besides Tesla have been unable to achieve L3 to date also shows me that autonomous driving is much harder than I and many others expected it to be three years ago. OTOH, I never thought that Elon's time-line was realistic. Three years ago I thought that true full autonomy was at least five, and maybe ten years away. We've got a long ways to go to get to that ten years. And L4 already exists within very small, perfectly ideal areas.

Tesla is actually doing things and being public about it. See FSDbeta videos and rolling out Vision-only.

They can do this because they're doing the actual development work instead of waiting around for their vendor like Nissan, Ford, ...etc...

I have a post here somewhere - where I linked to quotes from various industry players - including Google, Nissan etc - saying they will have FSD by xxxx year. In general they have said in 5 years FSD will be ready - but that 5 years never changes. Whether it is 2015 or 2019 they talk about 5 years.

Ofcourse, Musk says it will be ready this year / next year.

Thats the only difference.

ps : The other difference is almost all those CEOs / executives have been fired / imprisoned.

Agreed that Tesla has the best AP implementation to date and autonomous driving is harder than everyone thinks.

I'm glad that I paid $5k for FSD. I've had my MY for 11 months and use FSD functions all the time like green light chime, traffic light and stop sign control, and auto lane change. I don't particularly want autosteer city (only missing feature). Likewise, I don't use NoA, autopark, and summon. All of these FSD features are nice to haves.

I don't think it's "gloating" to comment on the fact that other companies besides Tesla have attempted L3 and so far have been unable to achieve it. It does make me feel vindicated in my decision to pay for EAP but not FSD. I desperately want FSD, or at least L3 city+highway to become a reality before I get too old to drive. But to date I'm still driving the best driver-assist system available to the consumer, and it does everything I expected of it at the time I bought it. It's not perfect but it's good enough and more, for my needs.

The fact that other companies besides Tesla have been unable to achieve L3 to date also shows me that autonomous driving is much harder than I and many others expected it to be three years ago. OTOH, I never thought that Elon's time-line was realistic. Three years ago I thought that true full autonomy was at least five, and maybe ten years away. We've got a long ways to go to get to that ten years. And L4 already exists within very small, perfectly ideal areas.

Multi prong or throw things at the wall and see what sticks? I think it boils down to the same thing: some vendor does the development work so the OEM like Ford can buy and integrate the widget into their vehicles.

I think GM still has Cruise, but there's been so much churn and consolidation. Who knows what the other big OEMs are doing these days.... Doesn't seem like much of anything other than waiting for their vendor.

Ford has a multi prong approach. Until recently there were the majority owners of argo.ai