TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Four Upcoming Self Driving Level 3 Cars by 2019

Discussion in 'Autopilot & Autonomous/FSD' started by Bladerskb, May 18, 2017.

1. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Zero for 4

Apparently predicting positive things are hard.

2. paraglide

paraglide Member

Interesting to see these manufactures blow deadlines by years just like Tesla has with FSD, but no negative press because the vast majority of people never knew Nissan/Volvo made these goals. It's not a dig at Tesla or the other brands, just shows how difficult FSD is and getting there is not just a "Tesla problem"/Musk purposefully making impossible claims.

This is totally anecdotal, but it feels to me like industry experts/enthusiasts were more certain about achieving L4/L5 in the short terms three years ago than they are today.

3. strangecosmos

strangecosmos Non-Member

Any updates from these companies on when these products/features might actually be shipping to customers?

4. paraglide

paraglide Member

@strangecosmos I am often trolling the web for any info on new lane centering systems and know of nothing. Volvo supposed to be rolling out Pro Pilot 3 on a few cars, but my understanding is that still uses ME Q4, not Q4. Months ago I saw a post from someone claiming Nissan would be making an announcement March 2019, but haven't heard anything yet and no idea if they are an insider or blowing smoke.

5. electronblue

electronblue Active Member

The difference of course being: When you pre-sell something (Tesla) you expose yourself to different types of criticism than when it is just a future product (Nissan).

• Love x 1
  6. electronblue

electronblue Active Member

There was talk in another thread how Volvo decided to go their own way for future products around the time Tesla did and lost a couple of years as a result. I believe the EyeQ4 talk and Volvo are thus no longer relevant. @Bladerskb can fill us in on that one.

7. paraglide

paraglide Member

"The difference of course being: When you pre-sell something (Tesla) you expose yourself to different types of criticism than when it is just a future product (Nissan)."

Good point

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  8. Snuffysasa

Snuffysasa Member

Nissan moved their late 2018 target, to March 2019 a long time ago.

I think they were planning for an announcement in the first week of Spring this year. Which would be a Japan only launch soft launch of pro pilot 2. I think there is a chance we will still see that announcement at the end of March.

However, its possible they delayed that program again. Also likely, due to the acquisition of USHR in the US... the pilot program for HD map crowd sourcing.. the will want to make sure they can replicate that with USHR in the US

9. boonedocks

boonedocks Active Member

None of those manufacturers listed took customers money on their pipedreams!!!
    Like Tesla did from me 2+ years ago:

IMG_0266.PNG

IMG_0267.PNG

IMG_0279.PNG