Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frame Failure called "Normal Wear and Tear" by Tesla Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're mileage isn't that high. I sold my Lexus SC400 with 334K miles on it 4 years ago and the current owner has over 450K miles on it and it has had zero repairs in it's entire life.

My Prius just hit 300K and I expect it to last another 200K without any issues.
it must be said those are both famously reliable cars... the Lexus/ Toyota V8 motor in particular is damned near unbelievable, only thing that rivals it beyond diesels is the Mercedes 450 v-8. my main takeaway is less about how long cars can last and more about how unusually perceptive you are at choosing vehicles.

Reactions: sorka
You can add me to the “another says” list. I have over 240k miles in my 2015 85D with 40% supercharging. 11% battery degradation. I’m pretty happy with that. I never leave it sitting after charging to 90%.
So I’m the second owner of my p90d and I’m 🙏 I get the same results you do. The old owner kept it plugged in at 60% all of the time. I purchased it with 4300 miles and I’ve put 5200 miles on it in 17 months so it now has 9500 miles. Ideally this battery will last a long time like yours and I do not hesitate to supercharge it. But if I do I drive it afterwards and don’t leave it over 80%. I think I measured the total degradation at 5% max which is due to calendar aging more than charging cycles. But is your battery original? If so those are some stellar results

So I’m the second owner of my p90d and I’m 🙏 I get the same results you do. The old owner kept it plugged in at 60% all of the time. I purchased it with 4300 miles and I’ve put 5200 miles on it in 17 months so it now has 9500 miles. Ideally this battery will last a long time like yours and I do not hesitate to supercharge it. But if I do I drive it afterwards and don’t leave it over 80%. I think I measured the total degradation at 5% max which is due to calendar aging more than charging cycles. But is your battery original? If so those are some stellar results
Yep. Original battery. I’ve replaced a few door handles, windshield wipers, air filters, tires and that’s about it. When they offered the transfer of FUSC to a new Model S at only $74,990, it was a no brainer for me.

And I wouldn’t worry about the mile you put on affecting the degradation of the battery. It seems to be more of a time issue than a miles issue.

Last edited:
Yep. Original battery. I’ve replaced a few door handles, windshield wipers, air filters, tires and that’s about it. When they offered the transfer of FUSC to a new Model S at only $74,990, it was a no brainer for me.

And I wouldn’t worry about the mile you put on affecting the degradation of the battery. It seems to be more of a time issue than a miles issue.
Yeah I won’t hesitate to drive it for sure

Aggressive driving is an excuse that Tesla uses not to honor your warranty. Tell them to prove that aggressive driving is the cause and point them to the Magnuson Moss warranty act if your car is under warranty.
I haven't seen anyone report that Tesla refused to cover this under the warranty, but the warranty coverage is part of the 4-year/50k mile bumper-to-bumper warranty. (And it seems this normally happens way after the warranty has expired.)

I haven't seen anyone report that Tesla refused to cover this under the warranty, but the warranty coverage is part of the 4-year/50k mile bumper-to-bumper warranty. (And it seems this normally happens way after the warranty has expired.)
A member sent me a private message stating that his Model S was under warranty when the subframe broke. Tesla refused to do the repairs and charged him for it. He is now in litigation.

Something similar to this should be used on the front and rear motor mounts of the subframe. 6061 or7075 billet aluminum

Openbuilds-Ooznest-OX-CNC-Parts-black-color-90-Degree-Angle-Corner-For-V-Slot-Aluminium-Extrus...jpg

Reactions: MP3Mike
I am very reluctant to share the pictures of the welds but here they are. Like I said, this is my first time tig welding. the penetration was good, and the welds are holding. a professional Tig welder would do a much better job.

View attachment 985139View attachment 985140
Looks good to me. Best you can do in that tight space. Beats not being able to drive the car.

Reactions: Gixx1300R

This!

The world is catching on that EV manufacturers focusing on degradation and charge cycles is an attempt to distract from battery pack failures just based on time. You get an 8 year warranty only because the government mandates it. Most will get 10 years from their batteries, but many will have failures out of warranty around the 10 year mark, regardless of mileage, charge habits, or maintenance diligence. By the 15 year mark, you can guarantee you will have had a battery failure out of warranty, and be on the hook for a $20K battery with only a 4 year warranty. No, 3rd parties don't have a cheaper solution, and probably won't with Tesla's tactics.

Within 5 years, the used car market will be trained to ask how old is the battery and for every year it will be something like $2K off the resale value. So a 10 year old Tesla that would sell today for $20K would be worth close to nothing if the battery is original on the use car market. That means owners that are planning to out smart the system and sell their Tesla right before the warranty expires won't get the last laugh.

Don't believe anything I am saying, here's an active Cars and Bids auction where the seller is having to face this question as we speak while trying to sell his older Model S. His answer of "have a repair fund available" is a smart one, but soon people will figure out that fund needs to be $20K-$30K given the $20K battery and the $6K x 2 for dual drive units, plus everything else that fails on ICE cars like suspensions, A/C, infotainment, etc.

1698431954607.png

Reactions: cwerdna
This!

The world is catching on that EV manufacturers focusing on degradation and charge cycles is an attempt to distract from battery pack failures just based on time. You get an 8 year warranty only because the government mandates it. Most will get 10 years from their batteries, but many will have failures out of warranty around the 10 year mark, regardless of mileage, charge habits, or maintenance diligence. By the 15 year mark, you can guarantee you will have had a battery failure out of warranty, and be on the hook for a $20K battery with only a 4 year warranty. No, 3rd parties don't have a cheaper solution, and probably won't with Tesla's tactics.

Within 5 years, the used car market will be trained to ask how old is the battery and for every year it will be something like $2K off the resale value. So a 10 year old Tesla that would sell today for $20K would be worth close to nothing if the battery is original on the use car market. That means owners that are planning to out smart the system and sell their Tesla right before the warranty expires won't get the last laugh.

Don't believe anything I am saying, here's an active Cars and Bids auction where the seller is having to face this question as we speak while trying to sell his older Model S. His answer of "have a repair fund available" is a smart one, but soon people will figure out that fund needs to be $20K-$30K given the $20K battery and the $6K x 2 for dual drive units, plus everything else that fails on ICE cars like suspensions, A/C, infotainment, etc.

View attachment 985891
Tesla HAS the data on this. They literally could come out and say out of x number of cars produced for each model year, this is the number of hv battery failures that occurred. They could also do some assuring of customers by saying, we have such a low failure rate it’s x% which is very low. But is it low? How would we know if they are so extremely tight lipped about the number of batteries that have failed. I know there are still a lot of people with a lot of miles on their original batteries. This approach by Tesla makes no sense to me at all. Can someone explain why Tesla doesn’t want to release hv battery replacement numbers by year trim and model?

Tesla HAS the data on this. They literally could come out and say out of x number of cars produced for each model year, this is the number of hv battery failures that occurred. They could also do some assuring of customers by saying, we have such a low failure rate it’s x% which is very low. But is it low? How would we know if they are so extremely tight lipped about the number of batteries that have failed. I know there are still a lot of people with a lot of miles on their original batteries. This approach by Tesla makes no sense to me at all. Can someone explain why Tesla doesn’t want to release hv battery replacement numbers by year trim and model?

The data is definitely not good for us, but Tesla is licking their chops at the revenue stream from battery replacements. Mark my words, our tax payer dollars will be used within the next 10 years to buy replacement batteries for all the "marginalized" people that ended up buying a cheap used EV but never had $20K in their bank account in their lifetime.

And never focus on mileage with regards to battery lifespans. That's the scam. EV proponents use fuzzy logic to claim an EV battery will last 37.5 years because they can last 1500 charge cycles at 300 miles per charge divided by the average of 12K mile/year of driving. It's insanity.

Elon will do the same game with batteries that he is doing with FSD. When it's clear FSD is hitting a wall, he announces a complete rewrite that is completely different and better. Rinse and repeat. When the gig is up on battery life based on time, he will announce new chemistry that is different and better. If you have the old battery tech, that's a personal problem and not a problem with EVs. Rinse and repeat.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Did you google it? I did:

View attachment 985913

And it is wrong. (As is often the case with Google searches.) Can you provide a link to the actual laws/requirements?

But, you are essenitially saying that Tesla is currently violating California law with all Model 3s and Model Ys. The Model 3 RWD, which only has a 8-year/100k mile battery warranty, while the rest are covered to 120k.

Here is California: California Vehicle and Emissions Warranty Periods | California Air Resources Board

1698437791813.png

Notice that it only applies to Partial Zero Emission Vehicles. It does not apply to BEVs, i.e. fully electric vehicles.

This has been discussed here in the past.

10. Comment: Are there any battery warranty requirements for ZEVs and BEVxs
similar to the 10 year/150k mi for TZEV vehicle batteries?

Response: There is a 10 year/150,000 mile extended warranty on the zero
emission energy storage device used for traction power on TZEVs and BEVxs.
There is no warranty on the traction battery for ZEVs. [CCR, Title13,
1962.2(c)(2)(D)
11. Comment: What are the traction battery requirements for warranty on ZEV
vehicles, both BEV and FCV?
Response: Please see response to Comment 10 above."
A Tesla is a ZEV.

Last edited:
And it is wrong. (As is often the case with Google searches.) Can you provide a link to the actual laws/requirements?

But, you are essenitially saying that Tesla is currently violating California law with all Model 3s and Model Ys. The Model 3 RWD, which only has a 8-year/100k mile battery warranty, while the rest are covered to 120k.

Here is California: California Vehicle and Emissions Warranty Periods | California Air Resources Board

View attachment 985921

Notice that it only applies to Partial Zero Emission Vehicles. It does not apply to BEVs, i.e. fully electric vehicles.

This has been discussed here in the past.

A Tesla is a ZEV.

Silly reply. Next.

The data is definitely not good for us, but Tesla is licking their chops at the revenue stream from battery replacements. Mark my words, our tax payer dollars will be used within the next 10 years to buy replacement batteries for all the "marginalized" people that ended up buying a cheap used EV but never had $20K in their bank account in their lifetime.

And never focus on mileage with regards to battery lifespans. That's the scam. EV proponents use fuzzy logic to claim an EV battery will last 37.5 years because they can last 1500 charge cycles at 300 miles per charge divided by the average of 12K mile/year of driving. It's insanity.

Elon will do the same game with batteries that he is doing with FSD. When it's clear FSD is hitting a wall, he announces a complete rewrite that is completely different and better. Rinse and repeat. When the gig is up on battery life based on time, he will announce new chemistry that is different and better. If you have the old battery tech, that's a personal problem and not a problem with EVs. Rinse and repeat.
I agree and disagree with your post. Lower mileage means way less quantity of charge and discharge cycles. This is what causes battery degradation. Calendar aging doesn’t contribute much if in a climate controlled garage and kept at 60% or lower state of charge. If my battery goes on to last 20 years because of low mileage what will you say?

I agree and disagree with your post. Lower mileage means way less quantity of charge and discharge cycles. This is what causes battery degradation. Calendar aging doesn’t contribute much if in a climate controlled garage and kept at 60% or lower state of charge. If my battery goes on to last 20 years because of low mileage what will you say?

If your battery lasts 20 years under any circumstance, you will be a miracle exception. It’s called chemistry. Miles and charge cycles are not the issue but the focus is put on those items to distract you from the real issue. Their plan is working perfectly.