TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Frameless windows

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Muhammad, May 21, 2017.

1. Muhammad

Muhammad Member

The door is indeed ajar. This is proven by the fact that the window is lowered a few millimeters which is consistent with similar frame less doors that lower the window slightly when the door is open as is the case with Model S and Model 3

2. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

Where have you seen the Model 3 windows would auto lower? Looking at the motor trend videos at the GF and the unveil night videos I can't see that it was like that on the alphas.
    Currently owning three cars with frameless door windows, none of them auto lower, i know it certainly isn't required and one of the easier items to remove manufacturing complexity from.

3. T34ME

T34ME Member

4. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

no disrespect to Trev, but not all frameless doors auto lower (hence the three that I own) and there is nothing saying the Model 3 will do this just because the S does (or audi or bmw...).

• Informative x 1
  5. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Curious, what car(s) do you own that don't lower the window when opening or closing? I've never seen a frameless window door not auto lower.

• Like x 1
  6. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

How about a 1970 Chevy Impala? (I had one, and the windows were frameless and fully manual.) :)

7. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

1967 Mustang (only thing it has that is automatic is the transmission, so no surprise here)
    2000 Cougar
    2008 Solstice

8. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Do you get lots of added wind noise?

9. Sonny Daze

Sonny Daze Member

I have owned three Honda products that did not auto lower.

10. ummgood

ummgood Member

I had a 2005 Mustang GT and it auto lowered. That car cost me 23k brand new after discounts with leather etc (the only car I ordered sight unseen because they were so popular)... I am sure if Ford can put it in a Mustang at that price point 12 years ago then it shouldn't be a factor in the Model 3. It really does help with noise.

11. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

That would be my concern. To do it right, I can't see how not having it lower would allow a good seal.

• Like x 2
  12. ProphetM

ProphetM Member

My 1997 Subaru Legacy didn't have it.

13. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

in the mustang - yes. but the windows are probably the lest of the noise that car makes going down the road.

in the others, no.

14. Bangor Bob

Bangor Bob Member

None of the Subarus did, until they went back to framed windows a few years ago.

Never noticed any wind noise from the windows in my Forester.

15. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

My 30 year old Toyota MR2 has frameless doors/windows that don't move the glass when you open and close.
    It just presses the glass against soft rubber... And doesn't have an issue with wind noise or rain leakage.
    mr2-window.png

• Like x 1
  16. timk225

timk225 Member

My 2011 Challenger R/T has auto-lowering windows. Except when the miserable cold winters have frozen ice on the outside of the window, and I have to take a screwdriver and carefully tap it alone the lower weather seal to crack it loose.......

17. gregd

gregd Active Member

The Roadster's frameless windows don't auto-lower either. And, yes, there is a lot of wind noise, but I wouldn't necessarily attribute it to that.

18. Bangor Bob

Bangor Bob Member

And this. This is why needing windows to auto-lower just to open the door is a dumb fair-weather design. Yes, you can preheat longer, but you don't know you need to do that until it's time to leave. And now you're late.