Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free 14 day autopilot trial query

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had AP2 loaner during recent service, but idiot that I am I never took it on the Dual Carriageway for an AP2 test (assuming AP1 was already "very good" so nothing to be gained by a comparison ... oh well :( ) , so only comparison I have is on back roads and a reasonably good A-road. There wasn't a great deal to choose between the two (and the main difference was AP1 speed-signing reading which was spot-on as I came into each village, of course, whereas the GPS AP2 stuff was all over the place).

Yes, definitely sounds like AP2 is sensibly improved in the conditions you describe, which is good to hear - in the sense that it sounds like a very worthwhile improvement, and I now "get" why you mention that you have it on predominantly :)

AP2 definitely better at verge-recognition and poor-light, and slowing for a bend, but I wouldn't want to use either on a B-road with only a central white lane, and I rarely use AP1 on a good A-road (except bumper-to-bumper)

I managed to get AP2 to engage on a rural road with no central line (because there was a bend with central line for 50 yards :) ) and that was an hilarious game of ping-pong but, credit due, it did stay on the black stuff! until I chickened out when I had oncoming traffic.

I have seen a video of a road not wide enough for two big vehicles to pass where the driver kept AP2 on whilst passing oncoming vehicles ... interesting test but not one I'm up for ...

AP2 getting speed sign reading would be a major improvement, here's hoping for "real soon now"

I know nothing about image-recognition-software, but either Tesla are diverting resources elsewhere, or saving money, or "its hard", anyone know?

AP2 getting speed sign reading would be a major improvement, here's hoping for "real soon now"

Yeah that would be a good step. Speed sign recognition is one thing our Nissan does very reliably. The AP2 database is way too flaky with lots of incorrect data. Our own road is still mapped as a 40 mph limit, while it's been 30 mph for at least 5 years. Also of course doesn't take account of road works and temporary limits all over the place.

After having the trial it's convinced me that
1. TACC is worth having on its own and would happily pay for it.worked 100%

2. Auto steer not worth it unless doing lots of motorway driving which I don't.

3 . not worth upgrading in my opinion and had a few heart attacks when autosteer veered off and glad I had my hand on the wheel.frightened the passengers as well.

Was on the fence a few months ago to upgrade but trial showed I didn't need it after all.anyone else come to same opinion.

Auto steer not worth it unless doing lots of motorway driving

I agree. I very occasionally use it on major A roads, but for me its really only something I use on Dual Carriageway. But my driving is a relatively small amount of "local stuff" or 10 minutes to Dual Carriageway at each end of a journey of an hour or more

For Tesla to raise cash perhaps they should unbundle TACC as an option ...

• Disagree
Reactions: MagicMagicD
After having the trial it's convinced me that
1. TACC is worth having on its own and would happily pay for it.worked 100%

2. Auto steer not worth it unless doing lots of motorway driving which I don't.

3 . not worth upgrading in my opinion and had a few heart attacks when autosteer veered off and glad I had my hand on the wheel.frightened the passengers as well.

I think that's a good summary. Auto-steer is great on motorways and dual carriageways, but not really safe on A and B roads where it is more of a novelty that I play with from time to time. TACC is very useful on most roads once you get used to its few quirks and limitations.

Tricky - that would annoy people who paid full price, wouldn't it?

A cash-raising option might be to roll out V9, or V9.1, with cool features (and not just in USA ...) and then announce a price increase with current-price being available before the rise.

They've dropped prices in the past, much to the annoyance of existing owners and not just on optional extras, I seem to recall they dropped the upgrade price for 60KWh -> 75KWh battery quite significantly.

I'm not sure they could honestly increase the price at this point though, even the new features leaked so far for v9 aren't world changing, at least in their current guise.

They've dropped prices in the past, much to the annoyance of existing owners and not just on optional extras, I seem to recall they dropped the upgrade price for 60KWh -> 75KWh battery quite significantly.

The 60-75 change was only to align the software locked 60 to the revised price of the 75 when the 60 was dropped. Nobody was unhappy about that, in fact many became even happier when those cars were uncorked :D

I think @WannabeOwner had a similar situation whilst his was on order.

I ordered with max lead time, Tesla honoured the price even though at least one price rise in that period. During that period the 85 (that I had ordered) was discontinued and they offered me to take early delivery of an 85, or keep original date and downgrade / upgrade to 75 / 90. The price differential was at as-of the original pricelist.

Sadly no freebie discount, other than original price list