Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Destination Charging: 50x L2 80A Stations @ Caltech, Pasadena, CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Switching pilots while charging
IMG_3328.JPG

Testbed in our office
IMG_3336.JPG

Reactions: Fiver
What do you mean by "Switching pilots"?

P.S. I could use your expertise on the rs485 protocol thread. Wish I had your testbed!

The pilot is a signal that tells the car what current to draw. Normall an EVSE sends a fixed, unchanging pilot signal that reflects the capacity of the electrical line, but in this case, with dynamic load management, the EVSE can change the pilot signal and thus tell the car to charge at different currents at different times.

• Informative
Reactions: David99
Quick update...we've developed a mobile app for user input @ Caltech...It includes predictive charge curve

PF_predective_charge_curve.PNG
PF_charge_curve.PNG

Depending on your urgency and dynamic pricing, you can see how we plan to deliver that energy before departure time.

We are delivering over 3000 EV miles a day now, which I guess enough to cross the country. We will be adding addition Level 2 stations this month.

I’m gonna have to stop by to see this amazing future!

The address is 1248 E. California Blvd., Pasadena, CA 91125 but it's confusing because there is no parking structure visible. Instead, chargers are in underground parking below a sportsball field. Drive onto a road with tennis courts on the left and a big grassy field on the right. I'm not sure what the road is called because Google Maps gives it no name.
Parking structure entrance is at GPS 34.134075, -118.126355

It's a cool place.

The L2 chargers on the left have LCD screens you can use to pick your car from a list that seems to include every EV ever made. All the other chargers make you pick your car from a phone app. Once it knows your car and battery size, you can tell it when you want to leave and it will charge your car when it makes the most sense, trying to minimize power draw for all connected chargers and I guess maybe even shoot for when electricity is more cheap? Not sure about the last one (maybe it says earlier in this thread).

There is one big L3 charger (50kW?) with CHAdeMO and CCS cables for when you need a fast charge. However, since there's only one, there can be contention.

The address is 1248 E. California Blvd., Pasadena, CA 91125 but it's confusing because there is no parking structure visible. Instead, chargers are in underground parking below a sportsball field. Drive onto a road with tennis courts on the left and a big grassy field on the right. I'm not sure what the road is called because Google Maps gives it no name.
Parking structure entrance is at GPS 34.134075, -118.126355

It's a cool place.

The L2 chargers on the left have LCD screens you can use to pick your car from a list that seems to include every EV ever made. All the other chargers make you pick your car from a phone app. Once it knows your car and battery size, you can tell it when you want to leave and it will charge your car when it makes the most sense, trying to minimize power draw for all connected chargers and I guess maybe even shoot for when electricity is more cheap? Not sure about the last one (maybe it says earlier in this thread).

There is one big L3 charger (50kW?) with CHAdeMO and CCS cables for when you need a fast charge. However, since there's only one, there can be contention.
I wish every parking garage had such a sophisticated set up.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Have to check it out the next time we're getting our growlers filled at Stone Company Store - Pasadena: 220 S Raymond Ave #103, Pasadena, CA 91105. Typically I plug into one of the free L2 chargers in the parking garage under Stone Brewing but the L2 charge rate is really slow (max 19 mph)... but would love to see this high tech fast charger array set up. :cool:

Harking back to the electrical distribution discussion around #61 Free Destination Charging: 50x L2 80A Stations @ Caltech, Pasadena, CA and #86 Free Destination Charging: 50x L2 80A Stations @ Caltech, Pasadena, CA

We're looking at putting in a managed multiple-charger installation at an outdoor condo parking lot and it seems to pencil in to use a "feeder/tap" arrangement rather than home runs from each station to a big breaker box. Logic says that because of the way load management works you'll get more efficient use of copper. So we are considering a big bus running thru a series of small breaker boxes as shown below. This might be sensible for garage installations as well.

TapBreakerBox-1.png